• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Issue With Blazer Ammo

BillyBoy

NES Member
So today I decided to hit up my gun club and do a little shooting. One of the handguns I decided to shoot was my Glock G17 (stock barrel) using some 9mm FMJ Blazer Ammo.

Guy I spoke to at my local gun store said it's cheaper than Win White box because it's not designed to be reloadable and I don't reload ammo (at this point in time). So I thought what the hell I'll try it out and save a couple bucks.

Well on the very first shot with this ammo I had an issue. Pulled the drigger, bullet shot down range but the handgun didn't cycle. I was like WTF? Removed the mag, and manually cycled the slide and this is what popped out of the ejection port!!!

IMG_0795.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't have any other type of 9mm ammo on me that day and I was a little hesitant about shooting another round through the handgun until I spoke to someone about it. I'm going to go pick up some White Win on Tuesday and try shooting the gun again and see what happens.

Some of that Blaser stuff is hot!!
That's quite a signifigant tear in the case. It's not really that uncommon though.
Hot ammo + aluminum case + unsupported Glock chamber= Kaboom!!
If you continue to use that stuff proceed with cation.

I had bad luck with it 25 years ago in my Model 13 .357, I would never use it again.

That would be a stop sign for sure. Stay with brass unless you replace the barrel with one that supports the case fully.

What did the guy sayu when you showed the case to him?

If I saw that come out of my gun, I'd be wary about using it too. From personal experience though, I've put hundreds of rounds of aluminum-cased Blazer .40 through my USP and I haven't even had a single malfunction.

I've been shooting since 2004 and I've never had this happen before but then again this is the first time I decided to shoot blazer ammo. Definately not shooting it again, going back to Win White Box.

Some of that Blaser stuff is hot!!
That's quite a signifigant tear in the case. It's not really that uncommon though.
Hot ammo + aluminum case + unsupported Glock chamber= Kaboom!!

Uhh, yeah. Sure. [thinking]

I've fired CCI Blazer AL through like several different types of handguns, including Glocks, and have never had this happen. Before the cost went up (and I started reloading) it was nearly all I used to buy, or at least 75%. I've used thousands and thousands of rounds of the stuff.

-CCI Blazer AL isn't that hot. Not any more than other typical factory ammo, say WWB.

-The case above didn't fail at the casehead- so much for "unsupported chamber".

I'd say the guy just got a bad case or a bad batch of ammo. It's worth reporting to CCI, IMO. Blazer AL cases are fragile, but not normally THAT fragile! [laugh]

-Mike

Last edited:
If you ever wanted to jam up a PPK .380 like crazy, just feed it anything.

Fixed it for you. And yes, they definitely don't like Blazer .380. Then again, PPKs don't really like anything outside of typical ball ammo and a few brands of JHP.

-Mike

I've shot thousands of rounds of Blazer and never had one problem. That bulge seems pretty excessive from the picture. Does the cartridge and the ammo box both say 9mm Luger?

Could have just been a porous area in the aluminum. If this is the case, I would think it can happen with brass as well. If everything is correct on your end, call up CCI. I am sure they will make it up to you.

Last edited:
Uhh, yeah. Sure. [thinking]

-The case above didn't fail at the casehead- so much for "unsupported chamber".

I'd say the guy just got a bad case or a bad batch of ammo. It's worth reporting to CCI, IMO. Blazer AL cases are fragile, but not normally THAT fragile! [laugh]

-Mike

I can agree with that. However I'm sure the Glock chamber wasn't helping the situation.
Hey I'm no anti Glock guy. It probably accounts for 80% of my handgun trigger time.[smile]

Kinda looks like a case of shooting 9mm in a .40 chamber. I've seen plenty of cases crack but I don't see how a crack could get that wide with the chamber intact.

I saw a ton of split cases in the single 100 round box of Blazer AL in .38 that I shot. Nothing that bad, still I never used the stuff again, though I have bought some for trading purposes.

Ditto what "jasons" says...it sure looks like a smaller caliber chambered/fired in a larger caliber. You can do this somewhate readily with a 41 Magnum in a 44, a 308 in a 7.5 Swiss etc. I've picked up brass that was mal-chambered in a 44 and have heard about the latter.

I have a SA 22lr revolver that does that with brass cased ammo because it has 2 bad chambers on the wheel. The chambers look eroded from shooting cb caps. You might want to check the chamber on yours for a crack, bulge, or erosion just to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom