Issue with Dillon550b

bdb

NES Member
I did some research on the forums about this issue and tried the various fixes listed but I am still having issues. I have about 30,000 rounds loaded on this press, all 9mm and 45ACP. My primer bar has been sticking in both directions. It comes back but not quite all the way to drop another primer. I have to give it a little pull at the end. Then on the upstroke it sticks and I have to give it a little push.

I have taken it apart and fully cleaned it. I have used graphite powder to lube it. I have even placed a couple of shims (from a thin tin can) under the primer housing to test. The primer bar does show evidence of wear which I understand adds to the friction. The only thing I have not done yet which was listed as a potential fix is to rub and polish the primer bar with fine steel wool to help reduce the friction?

I thought about replacing the primer bar with a new one or calling Dillon support. I will try the steel wool prior to calling Dillon or ordering a new primer bar. Anyone have any additional thoughts?

I'll try and polish it with the steel wool and if that doesn't work I'll go straight to Dillon support as recommended. Thanks everyone.

Had the same problem on a well-used 550B. Read somewhere that stoning the side of the primer tube assembly housing that contacts the left side of the primer bar helps. Apparently it can develop two raised areas from tightening the screws over time. I ended up buying a new primer tube assembly after a heli-coil broke in mine. Problem solved.

Every time I've had an issue with my 550 I contacted Dillon, and they stepped right up and helped me out.
Very good outfit.

This.

Call them and they will tell you what to look for and if they think you need a replacement part they will send it right out for free.

I have a 550B I got at a yard sale and I put a bullet on a round in the powder dispenser station and forgot to rotate it. Things broke and went flying. I called them because a broken part didn't look like the part they showed. I also told them I bought it at a yard sale so I would pay for the parts. I was told I would NOT pay for the parts, and I was also told the part that broke did not belong on the press and they sent me everything I needed including parts that didn't break because they felt the part that did break that didn't belong to my press may have been modified and the unbroken part also may have been.

I did some research on the forums about this issue and tried the various fixes listed but I am still having issues. I have about 30,000 rounds loaded on this press, all 9mm and 45ACP. My primer bar has been sticking in both directions. It comes back but not quite all the way to drop another primer. I have to give it a little pull at the end. Then on the upstroke it sticks and I have to give it a little push.

I have taken it apart and fully cleaned it. I have used graphite powder to lube it. I have even placed a couple of shims (from a thin tin can) under the primer housing to test. The primer bar does show evidence of wear which I understand adds to the friction. The only thing I have not done yet which was listed as a potential fix is to rub and polish the primer bar with fine steel wool to help reduce the friction?

I thought about replacing the primer bar with a new one or calling Dillon support. I will try the steel wool prior to calling Dillon or ordering a new primer bar. Anyone have any additional thoughts?
Do you want to know why you don't see many posts like this here?

Its because in less time than it took you to write this, you could have called Dillon and they would have sent you all the parts necessary to fix this. For free!!.

Now get off the interWebs and give Dillon a call. Make sure you have your customer number handy before you call so you don't slow them down. They are very busy these days.

Back
Top Bottom