• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Issued used firearm

Quick question. I’m at the tail end of a academy. Yesterday the firearms unit came into the class and issued us our Glocks. I noticed they were all dirty and had holster wear. I asked if these were training pistols and we were told these were our sidearms until the department got around to getting new ones. Does it seem messed up that we’re going to be sent on the street with old guns? I assumed we would get brand new, in the box and get to break them in ourselves. God knows how many rounds have gone down the barrels of those things

Seriously, assuming they replaced regular wear parts, they could issue those Glocks to your children and they would still go bang. Takes a loooong time to shoot the barrel out of a Glock. Clean it, check the bore, shoot it and carry it with confidence.

Last edited:
Quick question. I’m at the tail end of a academy. Yesterday the firearms unit came into the class and issued us our Glocks. I noticed they were all dirty and had holster wear. I asked if these were training pistols and we were told these were our sidearms until the department got around to getting new ones. Does it seem messed up that we’re going to be sent on the street with old guns? I assumed we would get brand new, in the box and get to break them in ourselves. God knows how many rounds have gone down the barrels of those things

You're kidding, right? What academy are you in? Suck it up buttercup and be thankful you're on the job. We carried hand-me-down revolvers for about five years before new guns were purchased.

You wouldn't believe where the Marine Corps sent me with guns that were older than I was! I was sooo ascared.

Ah yes, the hand me down Marine Corps M16. Nothing like having to qualify with a rifle that you could see daylight through the gap between the upper and lower recievers.

Seriously, assuming they replaced regular wear parts, they could issue those Glocks to you children and they would still go bang. Takes a loooong time to shoot the barrel out of a Glock. Clean it, check the bore, lube it just right, shoot it and carry it with Glock confidence (FIFY).

Dave Santurri once told me, "A barrel will last about 50,000 rounds and you will probably die before you wear it out"!

Do push ups until I get tired of looking at you.

Since when do duty weapons get fired a lot? I thought most had more lint down the barrel,than lead.

As for a used gun... consider it internally polished and already broken in.

My mortar platoon had an M2 with a 1944 date on it. Made by the GE Refrigerator Division. This was 20 years ago; I have no doubt they’re still issuing that gun. It ran like a top.

So... yeah. Your little Glock will shoot.

I can't even believe the level of pussies we have lurking in the corners here. My favorite was still the kid that was afraid of shoulder holsters because they flag him.

I actually PREFER old guns for the simple fact that you KNOW they've been shot and that they SHOOT!!! It's much less likely that you'd have a hangup on something broken in than on something with fresh machined parts. If I'm going to trust my life to something...it's a thousand round minimum down the pipe rule of thumb. If anything gets through a thousand rounds in my hands it's deemed safe to consider for a concealed carry.

You guys that polish your shit up every night after you take it our of its holster are probably going to be the first on the news for putting a round through your hand because your microfiber cloth got caught in the trigger and you didn't unload it because you had just wiped the oil from your fingers off the slide.

First thing I do when I buy something nice that's made out of material that can handle it...drop it on the ground. Now that first scratch is out of the way and you can quit being a snatch about having an 'icky' used gun. jfc...really?

My son's first rifle was a Henry Goldenboy. First trip to the range he dropped it in the gravel and put a small scratch on the stock. The kid started to well up. ( He was 8). I picked up his rifle, put my arm around his shoulder and said " Son, this is a shooter, not a collectors item, I hope that through the years we put thousands of rounds through her and dozens of scratches on it." That was almost ten years ago and we love that damn rifle. It still only has that one scratch on it and I tell him one day his boy will put one on her and he can tell him about the one we put on it.

Since when do duty weapons get fired a lot? I thought most had more lint down the barrel,than lead.

As for a used gun... consider it internally polished and already broken in.
This. I've had a few ex police guns. The wear was pretty much only on the outside. For an estimate of the number of rounds through it, take the annual qualification rounds and multiple by age. Quite a few of us shoot our carry guns a lot more than that

Back
Top Bottom