• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Issued used firearm

Quick question. I’m at the tail end of a academy. Yesterday the firearms unit came into the class and issued us our Glocks. I noticed they were all dirty and had holster wear. I asked if these were training pistols and we were told these were our sidearms until the department got around to getting new ones. Does it seem messed up that we’re going to be sent on the street with old guns? I assumed we would get brand new, in the box and get to break them in ourselves. God knows how many rounds have gone down the barrels of those things

It's a trick/shit test for recruits... this is where they send the people that complain about the used guns, so be careful...

I can't even believe the level of pussies we have lurking in the corners here. My favorite was still the kid that was afraid of shoulder holsters because they flag him.

I actually PREFER old guns for the simple fact that you KNOW they've been shot and that they SHOOT!!! It's much less likely that you'd have a hangup on something broken in than on something with fresh machined parts. If I'm going to trust my life to something...it's a thousand round minimum down the pipe rule of thumb. If anything gets through a thousand rounds in my hands it's deemed safe to consider for a concealed carry.

You guys that polish your shit up every night after you take it our of its holster are probably going to be the first on the news for putting a round through your hand because your microfiber cloth got caught in the trigger and you didn't unload it because you had just wiped the oil from your fingers off the slide.

First thing I do when I buy something nice that's made out of material that can handle it...drop it on the ground. Now that first scratch is out of the way and you can quit being a snatch about having an 'icky' used gun. jfc...really?

What have you got against shoulder holsters?!

Not a cop, but my everyday carry is a gen 2 Glock 19 that was a police trade-in, and the guy I bought it from used it to shoot IDPA. Lots of holster wear and looks a bit aged, but utterly reliable. Zero failures of any kind after hundreds of rounds even with crappy ammo.

I was always under the impression that LEO trade in Glocks were carried a lot, but shot very little. I have had a few and they all went bang. Slide and trigger group disassembly are easy to take apart for detailed cleaning with alcohol and does not require any special tools besides a small punch. Clean and carry with confidence!

This. I've had a few ex police guns. The wear was pretty much only on the outside. For an estimate of the number of rounds through it, take the annual qualification rounds and multiple by age. Quite a few of us shoot our carry guns a lot more than that
I've bought 4 PD issued guns, used. The outside are shit but the barrels are about 98%, barely used.

In some departments new guys do get new guns... Because they are required to purchase their own :D
Where I used to live in Texas, the county deputies had to purchase their own guns. And duty gear. And uniforms. And patrol cars. And fuel!

The county would install cages, lights, and electronics. They gave a monthly allowance for all of the above, which is why the smart deputies frequently parked, and rode along with state troopers. ;)

Quick question. I’m at the tail end of a academy. Yesterday the firearms unit came into the class and issued us our Glocks. I noticed they were all dirty and had holster wear. I asked if these were training pistols and we were told these were our sidearms until the department got around to getting new ones. Does it seem messed up that we’re going to be sent on the street with old guns? I assumed we would get brand new, in the box and get to break them in ourselves. God knows how many rounds have gone down the barrels of those things

You should voice your opinions to the department or maybe the academy DI's. Maybe they will get you a new one.

You should voice your opinions to the department or maybe the academy DI's. Maybe they will get you a new one.

Yeah... So, I was talking to another SO at a match last week, and he told me about sending a guy who was annoying him over to supply to "ask for the E7 PRCK and grid squares". Guy came back hours later all sweated up.

I was issued a "used" sidearm. You know what I did?

I researched the serial number and found out who carried it before me. Turns out she was a respected, recently retired female officer and former president of our union.

This "used" pistol served her well over the course of her career, and I am damn proud to be the one who is lucky enough to carry it every shift.

Hell, I even found out my "used" pistol came with a name...

Yeah... So, I was talking to another SO at a match last week, and he told me about sending a guy who was annoying him over to supply to "ask for the E7 PRCK and grid squares". Guy came back hours later all sweated up.

Classic new guy ball busting. “Go get some goddamn canopy lights from supply, we’re doing a night jump tonight. And while you’re there get me a bore brush for the 90, and don’t take no for an answer goddammit or I’ll smoke your bags! Move the F out Ranger!”

Classic new guy ball busting. “Go get some goddamn canopy lights from supply, we’re doing a night jump tonight. And while you’re there get me a bore brush for the 90, and don’t take no for an answer goddammit or I’ll smoke your bags! Move the F out Ranger!”

Apparently he went over there and yelled out that he was looking for the "E7 PRCK", (thinking that it was a PRC), and the E7 there wasn't amused...

OP - I went back and gave you a rep point. Or in the vernacular of the new forum, liked your post. We really are a bunch of dicks for busting your balls so much, and I was the first one to do it. Sorry man, and it was a a commentary on your good character to not lash out in retaliation.

I hope you had a chance to put a few rounds through your new duty weapon and it ran well. I would rather trust my hide to that used Glock than a new Ruger or S&W. I would take that firearm to just about shitty corner of the globe.

I wish you well when you get out in the world, and hope that you remember that most licensed firearms owners are decent people.

I was issued a old, worn, WW11, Remington Rand ,45 in Nam, as back up to my primary weapon. That thing rattled like a canteen full of rocks. In monsoon season it rusted daily in a wet , leather holster. Old, rusty and mud covered, that 1911 never let me down. It was probably the most dependable weapon I've ever carried, in spite of the fact that I have four Glocks.

is this what its like when millennial become police officers? Do they teach slap fighting as a hand to hand self defense technique too? I haven't messed with the cops since my high school days, but it sounds like its about to be fun again lol

lthough, as a young man, perhaps 17 or 18, I was once sorely tempted to at least take a whiff of a certain bicycle seat...

Lol. Was this...
iu

But you told your friends is was this...

iu

As much as I like them, I can honestly say I've never been tempted to lick a gun.

You must not own a 29 yet. I have never licked it, cuz that would just be gross, but I would be lying if I said I didn't polish the barrel with the silicone cloth more than other guns when cleaning.
upload_2018-6-2_10-24-21.png

Back
Top Bottom