It's 2022 - anyone still carrying a revolver?

I don't carry a snub.

I do like the 642.

What do you think about this:

Bright Cobra (38SPL)​

UPC: 098289007148

Model: Bright Cobra Revolver

SKU: COBRA-SS2BB

The Colt Cobra® marks Colt's triumphant return to the world of double-action revolvers. This special model takes back Colt's heritage of delivering a mirror polished Stainless Steel revolver. A shooter as well as a showpiece, the Bright Cobra is chambered in .38 Special and is +P capable. The Walnut Medallion grips and Brass Bead front sight help make it easy and enjoyable to shoot.

View attachment 601295

It's not Mass Compliant but still - what do you think?

@one-eyed Jack mentioned it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNr0tljpNsY

I love revolvers, but this makes me say meh.

It's a stainless steel revolver, just like every other revolver out there. If Colt would bring back their Royal Blue, they'd have something that stirs the cockles of the heart, maybe a bit below the cockles in the sub cockle area. Honestly, I'd prefer an old blue Colt that has been lightly abused than a new shiny one like this. Just me, though.

It's a stainless steel revolver, just like every other revolver out there. If Colt would bring back their Royal Blue, they'd have something that stirs the cockles of the heart, maybe a bit below the cockles in the sub cockle area. Honestly, I'd prefer an old blue Colt that has been lightly abused than a new shiny one like this. Just me, though.

Don't get too excited.

You'll have an accidental discharge in your cockles.

I don't carry a snub.

I do like the 642.

What do you think about this:

Bright Cobra (38SPL)​

UPC: 098289007148

Model: Bright Cobra Revolver

SKU: COBRA-SS2BB

The Colt Cobra® marks Colt's triumphant return to the world of double-action revolvers. This special model takes back Colt's heritage of delivering a mirror polished Stainless Steel revolver. A shooter as well as a showpiece, the Bright Cobra is chambered in .38 Special and is +P capable. The Walnut Medallion grips and Brass Bead front sight help make it easy and enjoyable to shoot.

View attachment 601295

It's not Mass Compliant but still - what do you think?

@one-eyed Jack mentioned it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNr0tljpNsY

Nope. I have a real colt cobra. Don’t think I’d consider that one.

I’d love to see the 2.5” king cobra return if they stuck with the look382D5C15-0D70-42F2-A269-2B425DBBB0EC.jpeg

The two at the bottom are a cobra and detective special. I prefer the 2nd one for carry a sw 337

Nope. I have a real colt cobra. Don’t think I’d consider that one.

I’d love to see the 2.5” king cobra return if they stuck with the lookView attachment 602365

The two at the bottom are a cobra and detective special. I prefer the 2nd one for carry a sw 337
So you think I should just get a 642?
They seem to have such a great record over the years.

I hope I can do my own maintenance if needed. Not sure if needed but I’d like to take great care of it like I do my Glock.

I’d like a revolver I can be proud of an confident in. S&W still makes a good 642 I hope.

I read somewhere a few years back, that one of the major challenges Colt faced was that much of their machinery was worn out and outdated. The skill required to master a machine took decades to learn. They said the same thing about their Royal Blue finish. It took a ton of polishing and man power and the guys that did it were freaking artists. It took years to train someone to do it, and all the guys that could, retired or quit.

Years ago, Adam at Acme Armament had a beautiful, commercial Colt 1911 that was, I think, from the late 50's. It was flawless and the blue was so deep it looked like you could dive into it. It wasn't cheap, and I was seriously a second from having him ring it up. I still think about that gun. But I realized I might as well buy a $3000 painting of a gun, because I would never shoot it. There really is something about that Colt Royal Blue.

I wouldn't mind a super light revolver for dog walking for coyotes. Something like this:

That LCR 9mm on the first page, and the 442 there are also pretty cool.

Whatever it is, it needs to be light and compact. Barrel shorter than 3".

I wouldn't mind a super light revolver for dog walking for coyotes. Something like this:

That's what I use my 638 for. It's nice and light, had an Apex spring job years ago and about 1,000 rounds through it has smoothed the trigger out beautifully.

I hope I can do my own maintenance if needed. Not sure if needed but I’d like to take great care of it like I do my Glock.

I’d like a revolver I can be proud of an confident in. S&W still makes a good 642 I hope.
Get a 337 and move on.

The 442 is next.

The recoil in a real shoot won’t matter.

This still help:

j-frame-chart-jpg.602428
21837cdf-0aad-434f-8ff6-ce6f586679bd_text.gif

Last edited:

It will suck to shoot. But easy to carry.

It’s very light. So the recoil is stout. But hopefully you’ll never need it.

Easy to clean.

It will suck to shoot. But easy to carry.

It’s very light. So the recoil is stout. But hopefully you’ll never need it.

Easy to clean.
Is it worse to shoot than a Ruger LCR?

I hate that gun. I'm having pain in my index finger now and that would make it even worse.

I'd sooner carry a G43 with 7 rounds. At least I enjoy shooting that and training with it.

Is it worse to shoot than a Ruger LCR?

I hate that gun. I'm having pain in my index finger now and that would make it even worse.

I'd sooner carry a G43 with 7 rounds. At least I enjoy shooting that and training with it.
If you are recoil sensitive stat away from 442, 637, 642 etc. Although none of those are anywhere as bad as the 340PD blow up gun they can be mildly unpleasant with appropriate loads like 158gr +P nyclads etc.

Can you swap cylinders? I wonder if a "sc alloy" cylinder from a 342 would interchange with the "alloy" from the 642, and if so, if anyone would be willing to make that swap.

This would be for light weight carry, not lots of range sessions.

Is $500 for a 638 about right?
How about $425 for a used 9mm "hammerless"?

Is it worth the bother for a 9mm? It would be one less caliber to buy, but then would have to add the moon clips. Then again, moon clips are faster for either .38 or 9mm, right?

How does 9mm compare against .38 or .38 +P?

Last edited:
Can you swap cylinders? I wonder if a "sc alloy" cylinder from a 342 would interchange with the "alloy" from the 642, and if so, if anyone would be willing to make that swap.

This would be for light weight carry, not lots of range sessions.
The titanium alloy cylinder of the more expensive centennial models would probably swap with the stainless-steel cylinder of other J-frames. But the current production M&P 340 (not to be confused with the 340PD) already has the combo you're describing, i.e. a scandium alloy frame for weight savings beyond the aluminum alloy frames of the 442/642 airweight centennials but with a stainless-steel cylinder like a model 60, and it is in stock here and there.

Back
Top Bottom