It's 2022 - anyone still carrying a revolver?

I want the titanium cylinder, and alloy (don't care which) frame. Looking for light weight and corrosion resistance for pocket carry, and probably internal hammer for one less place to get dust and grit into. Probably prefer silver finish over black, maybe. Change my mind.

Here, found this comparison thing.
1.7 ounce difference

Last edited:
I want the titanium cylinder, and alloy (don't care which) frame. Looking for light weight and corrosion resistance for pocket carry, and probably internal hammer for one less place to get dust and grit into. Probably prefer silver finish over black, maybe. Change my mind.
Sorry, I got your intention backwards. I take it the 340PD but pretending it only takes 38+P is off the table. I suspect nobody with a titanium 38+P cylinder in their right mind is going to want to trade, instantly making their gun heavier and crashing the resale value. They do sell replacement .357 magnum titanium alloy cylinders, but a titanium alloy cylinder that accepts .357 magnum rounds in a frame only rated for 38+P sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Sounds like what you want is the 342 Ti.

Just saw one used for $549.95. Looks pretty "worn", so not sure of overall condition. Not sure if worth it. Would be fun having a titanium revolver though. I've never bought a gun across state lines though. What do I do, find a receiving dealer and ask or tell them I'd like a transfer? Do I do paperwork with sending dealer, receiving dealer, or both?

Ha! All correct, but in fact I had all of that in an earlier draft. I left it off quite deliberately after careful consideration. As I have recently been accused of volubility, I determined not to anticipate, nor otherwise to answer, any question not actually posed.

Ha! All correct, but in fact I had all of that in an earlier draft. I left it off quite deliberately after careful consideration. As I have recently been accused of volubility, ...
(Not by me; not within my eyeshot).

... I determined not to anticipate, nor otherwise to answer, any question not actually posed.
To hear NESers tell it, what FFLs hate the most
is receiving a gun unannounced that they can't
(or don't want to) transfer to the buyer.

That can even include the buyer looking so sketchy that the receiving FFL
wants nothing to do with the transaction.

To hear NESers tell it, what FFLs hate the most
is receiving a gun unannounced that they can't
(or don't want to) transfer to the buyer.

That was in there, too. So, what I hear you saying is that I might have over-corrected a bit. :)

Another point that could be made is that buying used guns from out of state is one of the reasons it's a good idea to sort of have an FFL that you buy guns from with at least some regularity, so you're like a customer/person rather than some paperwork and a transfer fee in the best case.

That was in there, too. So, what I hear you saying is that I might have over-corrected a bit. :)
Heh. You don't have to bring Teh Clue to folks, but...
more like "buried the lede" or "hid your lamp under a bushel".

Another point that could be made is that buying used guns from out of state is one of the reasons it's a good idea to sort of have an FFL that you buy guns from with at least some regularity, so you're like a customer/person rather than some paperwork and a transfer fee in the best case.
Yep, if one is interested in that kind of acquisition,
it's a Best Practice.

Also, having a relationship with your local FFL can help with finding the gun you are looking for. The last two guns i bought were not in his case but he knew of them. The Savage 110 LH i bought because i was talking about buying a left hand action for a project and he knew a guy who wanted to sell.
The Ruger SP101 i just picked up was at a shop over the border in CT and my FFL guy does transfers with that shop. I wanted another J frame for my son but my guy didn't have anything in stock and he's been having a hard time getting inventory from his distributor. But he knew the Ruger was at the other shop so i go down and buy it. I wouldn't have known about either gun without the relationship with my FFL.

I like revolvers better than autos because they don't throw empties all over the place but carrying spare ammo in speed loaders is too bulky.

Can you swap cylinders? I wonder if a "sc alloy" cylinder from a 342 would interchange with the "alloy" from the 642, and if so, if anyone would be willing to make that swap.

This would be for light weight carry, not lots of range sessions.

Is $500 for a 638 about right?
How about $425 for a used 9mm "hammerless"?

Is it worth the bother for a 9mm? It would be one less caliber to buy, but then would have to add the moon clips. Then again, moon clips are faster for either .38 or 9mm, right?

How does 9mm compare against .38 or .38 +P?
Email TK custom. They do a ton of revolver work.

Will also machine cylinders to accept moonclips. Would be better than carrying a speedloader.

Almost everyone that shoots revolver in any competition has at least something from TK Custom, either work done or one of their parts.

Here, they work on the 642:

If it isn't on their site, call them. If it can be done, they will do it.

Last edited:
I like revolvers better than autos because they don't throw empties all over the place but carrying spare ammo in speed loaders is too bulky.
Do you use speed strips?

How about the new zeta six products? I really like the J Clip. I think the J Pak might be nice too but the clip gets it all done in one shot.

They’re slimmer in the pocket than the normal HKS speed loader and without the locking post hanging out they’re way easier to carry.
Inexpensive to boot!

Post 407, convert to moonclip. While it is still bulky, it will take up less space and be very fast to reload.

I can load a moonclip as fast or faster than people can load mags.

Post 407, convert to moonclip. While it is still bulky, it will take up less space and be very fast to reload.

I can load a moonclip as fast or faster than people can load mags.
Moon clips are not my choice for defensive carry. Too fragile. Especially in 38-357
The 45s are tough though.

I use a moon clip on the ammo in my 442 to facilitate easy and complete ejection. Nothing sucks like trying to fiddle with a case the the ejector jumped over. The J frames have short stumpy ejector rods which do not help.

Then my reload is in a speed loader or now a j clip

Moon clips are not my choice for defensive carry. Too fragile. Especially in 38-357
The 45s are tough though.

I use a moon clip on the ammo in my 442 to facilitate easy and complete ejection. Nothing sucks like trying to fiddle with a case the the ejector jumped over. The J frames have short stumpy ejector rods which do not help.

Then my reload is in a speed loader or now a j clip
Interesting, I have been beating the sh*t out of my moonclips for over 2 years, no problem and I dont use the best ones (I use the SS clips from revolver supply, they are cheaper). But I also never carry them in a pocket.

TK moonclips are expensive, but they are hard, I have 5. You can probably get it cut for their .040 moonclips, those things are tough AF, it is hard to load ammo. But they will custom make the clips for the ammo you use when it comes to .357/38 due to difference in specs from each manufacturer.

You could also carry one moonclip loaded and one speed loader, that way the first ejection is very fast and load with the speed loader.

Interesting, I have been beating the sh*t out of my moonclips for over 2 years, no problem and I dont use the best ones (I use the SS clips from revolver supply, they are cheaper). But I also never carry them in a pocket.

TK moonclips are expensive, but they are hard, I have 5. You can probably get it cut for their .040 moonclips, those things are tough AF, it is hard to load ammo. But they will custom make the clips for the ammo you use when it comes to .357/38 due to difference in specs from each manufacturer.

You could also carry one moonclip loaded and one speed loader, that way the first ejection is very fast and load with the speed loader.

9mm uses a much thicker clip. The 38 clips are .020-.022” so they’re thin as f***.

Next match maybe @Knob Creek will bring some so we can compare. They are flimsy!

Back
Top Bottom