It's 2022 - anyone still carrying a revolver?

I have shots thousands of rounds without a jam. I will take my chances
Roger that, me as well. But, there are a number of people out there carrying guns they’ve shot less than 50 rounds through in their lifetime. For them, revolvers may be a better choice.

Yes, and for me a pocket 9 beats a revolver in every one of them, but your mileage may vary
My mileage does vary, which is why I choose a wheel gun over a pocket 9. Pretty sure I've outlined my reasons on here before. Are you here just to troll?

Majority of the time I'm in camp pocket 9, but around town often stick the 351PD in my pocket. Small caliber, yes. But in Lexington I'm more Likely to be attacked by a dog than a Salvadoran gang banger.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-04-04-06-51-30-02_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-04-04-06-51-30-02_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 7
My mileage does vary, which is why I choose a wheel gun over a pocket 9. Pretty sure I've outlined my reasons on here before. Are you here just to troll?
unless you need to reload, revolver doesn't require you to police your brass "immediately." just saying. You know, in case you need to leave quickly....

[smile]

These dichotomies don't make a lot of sense to me. If I thought I was going to be in a self-defense gun fight there, I wouldn't go. If I thought it was kind of seedy there but everything would probably be all right, I'm probably going to carry the largest semi-auto that I can deal with, and one or two extra mags. If I'm going to the grocery store in my town, I'm carrying a 642 instead of nothing. Yeah, if I get attacked by an El Salvadoran gang that parachuted in, I'm going to be in big trouble.

Yup, I assess the threat and plan my armament accordingly:
Normal day here in my small town: I'm good with pocket 9 or derringer.
Increased threat - dealing with more people: 1911
Increased threat - going in the woods, more likely to see people: 1911 or 4" .38 revolver
Increased threat - going in woods, more likely to see bear: 4.5" .45LC revolver
Increased threat - recently irritated local Mafia don: shotgun
Increased threat - invasion: 30-30 until able to secure Javelin
Supreme threat - Space Invasion: firearms useless - switching to dual wield tomahawks

On the topic of pocket carry: it appears that denim manufactures are cutting materials like everybody else. The same brand/cut jeans I bought this year, compared to my older ones, have shallower pockets. The J-frame that used to be well concealed in my pocket now can be seen unless I have a shirt/sweater to cover the pocket opening.

I like relaxed fit, boot or straight-cut jeans. Anyone got some recommendations?

P.S. I've read @Davidk 's book, met him, and he recommended Mitch Rosen pocket holster to my 442. He might have moved on from carrying revolvers and living in the Northeast, but he's still a good guy in my book.

On the topic of pocket carry: it appears that denim manufactures are cutting materials like everybody else. The same brand/cut jeans I bought this year, compared to my older ones, have shallower pockets. The J-frame that used to be well concealed in my pocket now can be seen unless I have a shirt/sweater to cover the pocket opening.

I like relaxed fit, boot or straight-cut jeans. Anyone got some recommendations?

P.S. I've read @Davidk 's book, met him, and he recommended Mitch Rosen pocket holster to my 442. He might have moved on from carrying revolvers and living in the Northeast, but he's still a good guy in my book.
Not exactly stylish, but pockets galore and inexpensive: https://www.wrangler.com/shop/wrangler-denim-loose-fit-cargo-jean-70LGW.html

Very mature. I guess with you opinions are only valid if they match yours. Very liberal of you
Hey, you were the one snubbing the snubbies. I'm just defending them.
I hear you're a writer of books? Anything i might have read?
I'm a big fan of Joe Lansdale, the author of the Hap and Leonard series. Do you know him?

unless you need to reload, revolver doesn't require you to police your brass "immediately." just saying. You know, in case you need to leave quickly....

[smile]
One can also argue to load your mags from a fresh box with gloves and never touch the brass directly.

But leaving an area cleaner ( I should say 'sterile') or rather nothing behind is better.

Last edited:
I’ll second that. No issues with DavidK at all. Seems like a decent guy anytime I’ve interacted with him. And I’ve got a copy of his book as well.

Hey, you were the one snubbing the snubbies. I'm just defending them.
I hear you're a writer of books? Anything i might have read?
I'm a big fan of Joe Lansdale, the author of the Hap and Leonard series. Do you know him?
The thread is about opinions on snubbies so I offered mine. I carried snubbies for many years until the original Shield came out. I now carry the Shield + when I pocket carry

There is a chapter in my book that cover pocket carry, I have written a few articles for Guns and Ammo on pocket carry and have done some videos

Last edited:
unless you need to reload, revolver doesn't require you to police your brass "immediately." just saying. You know, in case you need to leave quickly....[smile]
One can also argue to load your mags from a fresh box with gloves and never touch the brass directly.
But leaving an area cleaner ( I should say 'sterile') or rather nothing behind is better.
Semi-auto for self-defense?
eaec32e493ec1bf695336877a139da10.jpg

Yes, and for me a pocket 9 beats a revolver in every one of them, but your mileage may vary

Is the LCR 9mm a pocket 9 ?

The thread is about opinions on snubbies so I offered mine. I carried snubbies for many years until the original Shield came out. I now carry the Shield + when I pocket carry

There is a chapter in my book that cover pocket carry, I have written a few articles for Guns and Ammo on pocket carry and have done some videos

With regard to civilian use of handguns in a self defense scenario in which a gun is used or drawn for that matter; what might you think the distance and number of rounds needed to be ?

I carry a handgun when I am 100% certain, without a shadow of doubt that I absolutely won’t be in a gunfight. Otherwise, I carry a rifle (And it won't have a 5-round capacity.)
No joke, at my age, nothing good happens past 10PM anyway. I have no hope of taking the stripper home. If I knew it was going to be sketchy, I'm in the stay home and watch the 60 inch TV and have a beer or two.

I don't carry a snub.

I do like the 642.

What do you think about this:

Bright Cobra (38SPL)​

UPC: 098289007148

Model: Bright Cobra Revolver

SKU: COBRA-SS2BB

The Colt Cobra® marks Colt's triumphant return to the world of double-action revolvers. This special model takes back Colt's heritage of delivering a mirror polished Stainless Steel revolver. A shooter as well as a showpiece, the Bright Cobra is chambered in .38 Special and is +P capable. The Walnut Medallion grips and Brass Bead front sight help make it easy and enjoyable to shoot.

214983.jpg

It's not Mass Compliant but still - what do you think?

@one-eyed Jack mentioned it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNr0tljpNsY

Last edited:
I used to carry an old, stainless Model 37 until I got a nickel Model 10 snubbie.

I carry it with certain kinds of shirts, because it conceals so well.

ETA: Oh! Shit! I forgot; the stainless one was a Model 36, and I still have it. The '37 I sold.
Model 37 was aluminum.

I've collected every j frame Smith and Wesson ever made. This is one of my favorites. It's a model 30 if I remember. It's in .32 Smith and Wesson. Those are real mother of pearl grips. Look at the flat latch to open the cylinder. Really no turn lines on the cylinder.

Attachments

• IMG_0061.JPG
    IMG_0061.JPG
    306.6 KB · Views: 8
I've collected every j frame Smith and Wesson ever made. This is one of my favorites. It's a model 30 if I remember. It's in .32 Smith and Wesson. Those are real mother of pearl grips. Look at the flat latch to open the cylinder. Really no turn lines on the cylinder.
Owned by a pimp at a New Orleans whore house?

Owned by a pimp at a New Orleans whore house?
A black guy in Concord NH. He bought it around 1960. The gun, a box of ammo and a holster. When he died his wife took the gun, ammo and holster to Riley's. A friend there saved it for me. I bought the gun ammo and holster. The ammo and holster were on the scratch and dent table. It was never fired.

I don't carry a snub.

I do like the 642.

What do you think about this:

Bright Cobra (38SPL)​

UPC: 098289007148

Model: Bright Cobra Revolver

SKU: COBRA-SS2BB

The Colt Cobra® marks Colt's triumphant return to the world of double-action revolvers. This special model takes back Colt's heritage of delivering a mirror polished Stainless Steel revolver. A shooter as well as a showpiece, the Bright Cobra is chambered in .38 Special and is +P capable. The Walnut Medallion grips and Brass Bead front sight help make it easy and enjoyable to shoot.

View attachment 601295

It's not Mass Compliant but still - what do you think?

@one-eyed Jack mentioned it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNr0tljpNsY

If I'm going to carry something that heavy it better be able to fire 357 magnum. Even 357 mag speer short barrels are a huge improvement over 38SPL, at least that gets the bullets back up to 9mm speeds, lol.

The old Rossi M877 was picked up during my college years for about $225 NIB. Old one imported by Interarms. It has shot hundreds of .38 special and .357 mag throughout the past 25 years. Hell even shoots the HSM "Bear" rounds with a nice stout recoil and crazy fireball out of a 2" barrel. Has always been a carry option I've used on and off throughout the years.

20220410_211025.jpg

20220410_210939.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom