It's a (Big) Boy! Range report post 41, See #59 for report with Skinner sight & new 44mag rifle!

Ain't he handsome? Sitting up in the chair all by himself? Big Boy 38/357 carbine. Took him to the range yesterday, much fun.
1547105147257316846903004855446.jpg

2-3" groups at 25 yards offhand, an inch or so to the right, crappy Buckhorn sights, tough to get a decent picture, I plan on a good 3-9x soon, don't really plan on shooting it past 50 yards or so, so $500 glass isn't on the list:)
20190110_113236.jpg

Take a grinder to the buckhorn sights, make them more “normal” touch up with a little blueing. Makes a world of difference. Did this on the ‘92, now it’s so much better.

congrats. saw that in your marlin post from a few days ago. bought mine 3 years ago, it's my legacy gun, but haven't decided which of 2 godsons will get it. maybe i'll have to buy one in .44 just to even it out.

buy the skinner peepsight. think it was about $90.00 shipped, easy install

Congrats on the new rifle. It is sweet.

You gotta give the folks at Henry credit. That is a beautiful rifle. I love the walnut furniture, brasslite receiver, and the way their levers cycle. They could very well be the best looking gun on the market, and if you like levers, one of the most fun guns to shoot.

Congrats!

iu

Very nice. Love the large loop. What were you shooting through it? Skinner offers a few different options, all very attractive. Good luck with it, enjoy.

There’s just something beautiful about those rifles. I don’t know if it throws my mind back to childhood and all the cowboy movies/shows or what, but they’re damn fine looking weapons.

I'm "bit". The Marlin 45-70 was almost a done deal until I saw this one. I have (Well, Lady Radtekk and I since one is hers) a pair of GP100's, 6" stainless. At the last shoot I loaded them both with 357 and shot cowboy style, one in each paw. Wasn't even trying to aim, just keep them parallel to the ground and hit the berm, but what a f***ING blast! My wedding present from her was a SuperRedhawk 7 1/2" in 44mag, so that WILL be my next lever gun, no question. I may need a new safe just for the levers, something tells me this is but the first. And the wheel guns keep multiplying too. Weird...

I like @Kylep427's suggestion, but I think I may go with skinner's like @boscru, @Squib308 & @Daddy Mac recommend. I have them on another rifle, like em ok, need something better than the buckhorns but there's just something kinda sacrilegious about putting a scope on that thing, no matter WHAT dude did in Jurassic World.

Anyway, first outing was 38spcl only, too fricking cold even with gloves for more than 30-40 minutes, and it was windy as hell! Gonna be a lot of fun figuring this baby out. I have more than a few guns, several fall decidedly in the "toy" category, but this one is the first I've been EXCITED about for a while:D

Buckhorn sights suck.

Why 3-9x if you're never shooting past 50 yards? I agree that's the limit on .38/.357, so a 1-4x would be a much better choice. Or some good ghost ring sights.

Buckhorn sights suck.

Why 3-9x if you're never shooting past 50 yards? I agree that's the limit on .38/.357, so a 1-4x would be a much better choice. Or some good ghost ring sights.
Because I'm old and my eyes suck and I always figure "Bigger is better" so... But I just got back from the skinner page and I'm gonna order something from there, just need to look at the gun and some more pictures and decide... Cuz THAT'LL be easy...

No @Hetzer, I don't name my guns, but there's nothing wrong with it. But the way I'm feeling about this one I just might call it "Billy Baroo"

Because I'm old and my eyes suck and I always figure "Bigger is better" so... But I just got back from the skinner page and I'm gonna order something from there, just need to look at the gun and some more pictures and decide... Cuz THAT'LL be easy...

No @Hetzer, I don't name my guns, but there's nothing wrong with it. But the way I'm feeling about this one I just might call it "Billy Baroo"

Judge Smails would be mighty proud.

Billy Billy Billy Billy Billy Billy

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k4Ipv2L3iwg

What's the little guy's name?

And don't say Henry o_O

How about Hank ???

I got my second Big Boy last month, this one is a Steel model H012MR, in 38/.357.
I special ordered it through their Heirloom Program with a custom serial number of my choosing. (ZAPPA357)

362_4.jpg

My other one is a Classic model Big Boy in .45LC with the standard lever.
The weight difference between the octagon and round barrels is significant.
The standard model is so front heavy it feels like you're shooting a muzzleloader, while the Steel model handles more like a traditional Winchester or Marlin.
However, right out of the box, the Henry action is the smoothest of them all.
A lot of people don't like the lack of a side loading gate on the Henry, I'm not one of them, I like the tube loading feature because it gives you the option to unload the gun safely without jacking all the unfired rounds through the action.

Last edited:
How about Hank ???

I got my second Big Boy last month, this one is a Steel model H012MR, in 38/.357.
I special ordered it through their Heirloom Program with a custom serial number of my choosing. (ZAPPA357)

362_4.jpg

My other one is a Classic model Big Boy in .45LC with the standard lever.
The weight difference between the octagon and round barrels is significant.
The standard model is so front heavy it feels like you're shooting a muzzleloader, while the Steel model handles more like a traditional Winchester or Marlin.
However, right out of the box, the Henry action is the smoothest of them all.
A lot of people don't like the lack of a side loading gate on the Henry, I'm not one of them, I like the tube loading feature because it gives you the option to unload the gun safely without jacking all the unfired rounds through the action.

Hank works for me!

Someday I'll get a Henry so that's good to know about the weight. That's important to me and I would have gone the wrong way.

Tell me about the loop, is the big loop more comfortable? I've only shot a marlin lever action with a small loop and wasntva huge fan of the small loop.

Very nice, congrats. I have a Henry in the same caliber and it's very fun to shoot.
Can't wait to get it to the range again and try some 357. I can barely tell the difference between 38 and 357 in my GP100's, be interesting to see how they feel in the Henry.

Hank works for me!

Someday I'll get a Henry so that's good to know about the weight. That's important to me and I would have gone the wrong way.

Tell me about the loop, is the big loop more comfortable? I've only shot a marlin lever action with a small loop and wasntva huge fan of the small loop.
I'm no help, this is the only lever gun I've ever shot.

Ain't he handsome? Sitting up in the chair all by himself? Big Boy 38/357 carbine. Took him to the range yesterday, much fun.
View attachment 263763

2-3" groups at 25 yards offhand, an inch or so to the right, crappy Buckhorn sights, tough to get a decent picture, I plan on a good 3-9x soon, don't really plan on shooting it past 50 yards or so, so $500 glass isn't on the list:)
View attachment 263764

Beautiful rifle! But...

Your target wants his ear back. Were you shooting the Mike Tyson Challenge?

95c48e8759531030606016b0c5920244.png

Lever actions are blast to shoot , only thing is mine chucks the brass all over the place, so hunting it down for reloading is a little bit of a pain. I also learned early with my Marlin to keep it sights up when racking the action mine doesn't like to be tilted sideways when your cocking a new shell into the chamber.

Can't wait to get it to the range again and try some 357. I can barely tell the difference between 38 and 357 in my GP100's, be interesting to see how they feel in the Henry.

I've only shot .357 in mine so far, want to try some .38's to see the difference myself.

Back
Top Bottom