• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

It's a (Big) Boy! Range report post 41, See #59 for report with Skinner sight & new 44mag rifle!

I've only shot .357 in mine so far, want to try some .38's to see the difference myself.
Lol:) I went Wednesday when it was ball shrinking cold so I only brought the Henry. Usually a range trip for me includes several guns, different mix depending on mood, but it was cold and I didn't have a whole lot of time. So I grabbed a box of 357, set it on top of the safe, got the gun, put it in a case, grabbed a couple of partial 38spcl boxes from the ammo can from the prior trip, threw em in the range bag and loaded up. When I got to the range I realized that the 357 was STILL ON TOP OF THE SAFE! Oops... So I shot the box and a half of 38 and called it done... Next time I'll bring more, of both! Have to ask the Henry folks what the max power ammo is it can handle, I'm kinda spoiled by the SRH that can shoot ANYTHING, even stuff S&W can't. Like 340gr hardcast Buffalo Bore. I'd really hate to blow that pretty brass receiver all over the range....

Like was said by @Maddawg1952 about the Marlin, the Henry doesn't like cycling ammo while tilted, have to get better at that. May need a little adjustment also, since loading was a little sloppy, but I was using flat-nose ammo not round. S'okay, I have other stuff, and NO problem making multiple trips:) Just gotta get the sights handled. I was aiming at the crease in the center of green dude's head, so I know that I'm consistently off.. Doubt that's me or the ammo, we'll see once I get to the range again and try a different brand, and 357 as well. Gonna order the Skinner Black and Gold peep sight Monday:)

There’s just something beautiful about those rifles. I don’t know if it throws my mind back to childhood and all the cowboy movies/shows or what, but they’re damn fine looking weapons.
Yeah, I was a big fan of Lucas McCain when I was a kid. That's who I think about when I see these rifles.

Why 3-9x if you're never shooting past 50 yards? I agree that's the limit on .38/.357, so a 1-4x would be a much better choice. Or some good ghost ring sights.
Are you saying 50 yards is the limit for a .357 rifle?

Tell me about the loop, is the big loop more comfortable? I've only shot a marlin lever action with a small loop and wasntva huge fan of the small loop.
Take this with a grain of salt since I just got my first lever gun and took it to the range exactly once... Working the action in the cold without gloves was uncomfortable. With gloves it was great but there wasn't a ton of room inside the standard loop. From that perspective, I understand why someone would get a bigger loop. Just don't get the huge one, it looks terrible:

Rossi+92+Large+Loop+Lever+Action+45+Long+Colt+16-inch+Barrel-1c.jpg

Sold off my Henry and 336 to fund the house.
miss the tang sights on the 336 and the "target" sights on the Henry.
Had williams on the Henry with a front globe sight.
336 had tang sight and front globe with post.
i liked the adjustability as I switched ammo often enough and had the sight dope for the loads I used.
I had a tang sight for the Henry 38/357 but it never made it on to it.
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...oy-improved-peep-standard-post-prod27447.aspx

20 years ago williams/lyman made nice target sights for almost every thing. Its harder to find now.
I had the one with target knobs for quick fine tune sight setting.

marbles makes a simple bulls eye rear sight also.

Theres just something off looking about a henry with a scope.
well maybe a Vintage look like a Malcolm?

Last edited:
Sold off my Henry and 336 to fund the house.
miss the tang sights on the 336 and the "target" sights on the Henry.
Had williams on the Henry with a front globe sight.
336 had tang sight and front globe with post.
i liked the adjustability as I switched ammo often enough and had the sight dope for the loads I used.
I had a tang sight for the Henry 38/357 but it never made it on to it.
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...oy-improved-peep-standard-post-prod27447.aspx

20 years ago williams/lyman made nice target sights for almost every thing. Its harder to find now.
I had the one with target knobs for quick fine tune sight setting.

marbles makes a simple bulls eye rear sight also.

Theres just something off looking about a henry with a scope.
well maybe a Vintage look like a Malcolm?

That's why I think I'm going to keep it to a peep/ghost ring. I'll have to look up the Malcolm...

Just ordered the Skinner peep in Black/Gold. Two screws and done for the install, should take me about an hour and a half once it gets here. Then back to the range I go. Thing is the BALLS to shoot, recoil with 158 grain 357mag ammo is painless:) Shot about 75 rounds Tuesday at an indoor range--Lady Radtekk decided that outdoor winter shooting wasn't for her so we joined up at Granite State in Hudson. Nice place. Anyway, the 357 was hollow point, some "Freedom", some Blazer, all cycled fine. The 38spcl flat nose cycled poorly, ejected fine but wouldn't feed well. Gonna try a few more brands and weights, try determine if it's the shorter 38 round or the nose. I have a few different brands/weights/types in the safe, so it'll be fun. And a good excuse for more Big Boy time:)

Question... Is this 38 vs 357 preference a normal thing for levers? Henry's? My revolvers don't seem to care, go figure...

Buddy, clue stick, you are a mountian, how about a review for us mortals?

Lol, OK, here goes...

As seen in the OP it's a Henry 38/357, Big Boy, with the "Big Loop". Octagon Barrel, carbine length, 16 1/2", 7 round capacity. At first glance, it's a damn good-looking gun! Fit and finish looks good, all the parts line up the way they should. The wood is an even grained walnut. Smooth finish, goes well with the high-polish brass. It came with a nice cloth "sock" over the receiver to protect it from safe dings. Heavy, at just under 8 pounds, but well balanced. They say the LOP is 14", all I know is that it comes up to the shoulder nicely and getting a good sight picture (more about that later) and cheek weld was effortless.

Loading: It's tube fed, so it loads like my old Marlin 60's. Quarter turn of the plunger, pull it out, drop 7 rounds in, put the plunger back, you're in business. I like the tube feeding vs a side port (or whatever the hell it's really called) for two reasons. First and most important, you don't have to cycle the action and risk an ND to unload, and second, no ammo clacking against the receiver ruining the finish over time. Just make sure to not step on the plunger or you're done shooting. I think I may order a spare soon... The docs say it holds 7, I loaded 6, just seems like the right amount of cowboy ammo in a cowboy gun.

Action: Slick, tight, smooth. My first and so far only (I know, sad, right?) lever gun, never shot one before so I have nothing to compare it to. But it FEELS right, and we all know that "feels" are what matters so... Anyway, it feels good. Like was said somewhere earlier, I believe about a Marlin, it doesn't like to be cycled in any orientation other than straight up and down. Dunno if that's the way it's SUPPOSED to be, but an angle that puts the ejection port on the downside tends to make chambering problematic. So I don't do it.

Sights: THEY SUCK! Let me be perfectly, 100% crystal clear, unlike the factory Buckhorn sights. The factory Buckhorn sights SUCK. Almost like Henry owns a piece of Skinner or gets a cut of every sale. Honest do God I'm at a total loss how I'm supposed to line up the little white diamond on the Buckhorn with that teeny tiny little brass bead at the end of the barrel and then put them on target. Which one am I supposed to let blur? And then how in the name of all that's holy am I supposed to line up blur with focus and target??? Skinner sights are on the way, I imagine I'll be even MORE in love with this gun when they arrive and get installed. Speaking of which, the receiver on the 2nd Gen rifles is drilled and tapped for sights and/or a rail. But I just can't put a rail on this gun, no matter WHAT dude did in Jurassic Park. Just looks wrong to me. Maybe if I get a Long Ranger, but that's a different thread... So the Buckhorn will go in the round receptacle in the garage. SOON.

Shooting: Well, I took 38spcl and 357 to the range. As stated earlier, the 38spcl didn't load well. I thin the shorter round combined with the flat nose prevented it from sliding up the ramp as well as the round nosed (HP or ball didn't seem to matter) 357 did. The 357 was flawless over 75 or so rounds of two brands, with one fail-to-feed and one fail-to-eject. Either or both could well have been operator error, sure as shit I'm no expert, especially on my very first lever action. Time and practice and experimenting with different brands, weights, and configurations will tell. I can say that the 38spcl was very slightly noticeably less "strong" on recoil than the 357, no surprise there. Neither was at all oppressive, they ARE after all pistol calibers, and it's a pretty heavy gun. I've spent hours plinking with assorted 22lr and 22wmr rifles and pistols, I could easily do the same with this gun and my GP100 6" if the ammo was 3-5cents/round. Alas... I own and shoot 9mm and 45ACP PCC's, the Henry recoil was consistent with them. Nice big heavy barrel warmed up slowly, after 45 minutes and 75-ish rounds it was warm, not hot.

Accuracy: Well, like I said above, THE FACTORY SIGHTS SUCK. HARD. They are also not, to my knowledge, adjustable aside from elevation on the rear. Unless you want to try and drift the front, which I do not have the tool for, nor do I think it would be smart since the Skinner sight will be on before the next range trip. Anyway, the first trip was to my club, Westford, at 25 yards, outdoors, in 30 degree weather, slight breeze. My target is posted in the OP. The second trip, 3 days ago, was to Granite State in Hudson. Indoors, also 25 yards, a balmy 70 or so, NO breeze. Identical results, "tall" groups, which I attribute to sight picture, an inch or so right, which I attribute to poor alignment of UTTER CRAP Buckhorn sights. Shooting offhand, leaning on the bench, or seated at the bench were very similar, although offhand produced "rounder" groups. Shocking, I know... So the GUN is accurate and repeatable, the SIGHTS SUCK (did I mention that the Buckhorn stock sights are UTTER CRAP?) and the shooter needs practice.

All-in-all? Most fun I've had shooting in a LONG time! I have a couple of other long guns that are more expensive and arguably more accurate, but THIS one will accompany me on every range trip for the foreseeable future. I think the only time I've had as much fun shooting was at the last Pumpkin Shoot at Monadnock when I came to the line and double-fisted my GP100 and Lady Radtekk's at the same time. Although blowing up the cake a few years ago was cool too:)

@Lip Any time you want to shoot, let me know, HAPPY to host at Westford or Granite State:)

Lol, OK, here goes...

As seen in the OP it's a Henry 38/357, Big Boy, with the "Big Loop". Octagon Barrel, carbine length, 16 1/2", 7 round capacity. At first glance, it's a damn good-looking gun!

Congrats on taking a step back in time with your new Boy.
So, this is your first lever gun ?
What took you so long ???
Oh yeah, let me warn you, they're addictive.

Loading: It's tube fed,
<>
you don't have to cycle the action and risk an ND to unload, and second, no ammo clacking against the receiver ruining the finish over time.

This^

Sights: THEY SUCK! Let me be perfectly, 100% crystal clear, unlike the factory Buckhorn sights. The factory Buckhorn sights SUCK. Almost like Henry owns a piece of Skinner or gets a cut of every sale. Honest do God I'm at a total loss how I'm supposed to line up the little white diamond on the Buckhorn with that teeny tiny little brass bead at the end of the barrel and then put them on target. Which one am I supposed to let blur? And then how in the name of all that's holy am I supposed to line up blur with focus and target???

Here's where we can disagree a bit.
You told us this is your first lever gun.
Lever guns traditionally have buckhorn sights, it's part of that 1890's charm.
You never used them before so you're not familiar with them.
Are there better sights out there ? Yes.
But some of us have managed to do quite well with those old buckhorns.
And as far as buckhorns go, the Henry sights are about the best out there.

Skinner sights are on the way, I imagine I'll be even MORE in love with this gun when they arrive and get installed. ... So the Buckhorn will go in the round receptacle in the garage. SOON.

Now that I've defended the buckhorn and attributed your difficulty to "user error" [laugh]
I was intrigued by the high praise lavished on the Skinner, so I decided to get one for myself.
It arrived today and I just installed it on my new Henry H012MR.
This will be my first lever gun with any kind of peep sight on it.
I'm so used to buckhorns, I may have a tough time transitioning from them to the Skinner. [smile]

You told us this is your first lever gun.
Lever guns traditionally have buckhorn sights, it's part of that 1890's charm.
You never used them before so you're not familiar with them.
Are there better sights out there ? Yes.
But some of us have managed to do quite well with those old buckhorns.
And as far as buckhorns go, the Henry sights are about the best out there.

Now that I've defended the buckhorn and attributed your difficulty to "user error" [laugh]
I was intrigued by the high praise lavished on the Skinner, so I decided to get one for myself.
It arrived today and I just installed it on my new Henry H012MR.
This will be my first lever gun with any kind of peep sight on it.
I'm so used to buckhorns, I may have a tough time transitioning from them to the Skinner. [smile]
Lol. I have NO doubt the issue with the Buckhorn's is 95% operator error, but that 5%... I'm sure they were "good enough" back in the day, but while I may be old enough to have lived back then, there's no reason to suffer. Hell, I have cable TV and I'm typing this on my smartphone, technology isn't ALWAYS bad:) So we'll see... No pun intended:)

And yes, I've been bit by the lever bug. Just like the revolver one. Man, this gun "thing" sure is expensive...

It's addictive now you MUST have a long barreled six shooter in the same caliber in a belted leg tie holster, then the .44 mag rifle and accompanying six shooter...…. ask me I know all about this!

My wedding day...
FB_IMG_1443978085128-1.jpg

Lady Radtekk moments later shooting the gun I was wearing during our vows...
IMG_0580.jpg

Radtekk, if you want to day a range day I will bring my marlin 93 in .44 mag (heard you like the caliber) and my underfold ak you can fuss with. See if we can't entice lip

Question... Is this 38 vs 357 preference a normal thing for levers? Henry's? My revolvers don't seem to care, go figure...

I have a H012MCC and love it. Henry recommends shooting .38 ammo with OAL close to .357. I reload most of my .38 and try to keep the lengths at or above 1.55" for the Henry (IIRC my .357 OAL is 1.59"). No problems loading. I haven't tried shorter .38 rds, so don't know if I would have the same problem.

Range day with "other people toys"! YUMMY! Yes, me likey 44mag, the hotter the better, the SRH eats everything, the Buffalo Bore 340gr is fun:) And @Lip, I still have the rest of the 10ga I bought for YOUR little toy a while back:D I'll be happy to come to NH since you guys would be persona non grata in the People's Republic...

LOL I have the same boots . My hard drive crashed 2 weeks ago and lost most of my older pics including my lever action pic file. Still trying to resurrect them from the old desktop GRRRRRRRR!
My brother:) Bought mine, and the hat in the same pic, at Hansen Grain specifically for the wedding. Lady Radtekk found me the belt:)

I have a H012MCC and love it. Henry recommends shooting .38 ammo with OAL close to .357. I reload most of my .38 and try to keep the lengths at or above 1.55" for the Henry (IIRC my .357 OAL is 1.59"). No problems loading. I haven't tried shorter .38 rds, so don't know if I would have the same problem.
No calipers so I can't measure OAL but I'm gonna look at the various boxes and see what 38 is longest and round nose and see how it functions.

Way way back in the 1890s buck horn sights might have been around but any gun slinger meaning to make great shots had tang sights. Nice adjustsble aperture close to the eye.
As for buck horns, i prefer the full buck horns.
Sporting Rear Sights
As for aligning buck horns.
Those cut down ones on henry are not to great. i use a front sight aligned with the top of the cut "horns"
The full bu k horns where used for rapid range changes.
You would burry the front sight in lower portion of the horns for far shots. Center the front sight for mid range and put the front sight between the horns at the top for close in. The key is knowing your zeroes for your ammo or dope and your distances your sight picture results in.

i dont know if the williams FP366TK will fit the Henry brass receiver (its a tad fatter than the steel receiver) you would need to call williams to find out.
Williams Gun Sight FP-336 Receiver Peep Sight with Target Knobs for Marlin 336, 1894
This I think is the best sight for changing ammo types and distance. You can plot your settings for different ammo and your come ups for different distances. Sight alignment is easy look through the rear aperture and center the top of the front sight in the aperture. Our brains/eyes like to center things. Toss a globe sight with front aperture and centering up bulls eyes becomes even easier.

Why 3-9x if you're never shooting past 50 yards? I agree that's the limit on .38/.357, so a 1-4x would be a much better choice. Or some good ghost ring sights.

We talking about hunting or just shooting? I wouldn't presume about hunting, but people usually talk about the limit being in the low 100's. The measured muzzle velocity of 158 grain Federal AE in .357M out of my .357M Henry is 1750fps. LeverEvolution (140gr) is in the 1800's. With 125 grain, you can get around 2000 fps, though it's not going to be a super accurate load at that velocity, IME.

I used to have a 3-9x on one of mine, though I'd have preferred a good 1-4x. It's just that a good 1-4x costs a lot more than a good 3-9x. When I was working on loads, I usually shot 0.8 MoA to 3 MoA 5-shot groups at 100 yards from the bench with the 3-9x in my .357 Henry. But being done with that sort of thing with this rifle (for now, at least), I recently took the scope off and mounted a red dot instead. I just think it's more fun shooting clays on the berm at 110 yards off-hand (with some support or other) using a 1x optic than it is to do the same with a 3-9x.

Radtekk, if you want to day a range day I will bring my marlin 93 in .44 mag (heard you like the caliber) and my underfold ak you can fuss with. See if we can't entice lip

I'll come, I'll come. I have an idea I want to run past you all anyways.

We can hit my club, unless you have a convenient one. I donhave my mass nr so No worries there. Just can't bring my AR
Sunday 1/27 works for me. My oldest is leaving Wednesday 1/30 for the Disn ey Apprentice Program so we're taking her out for dinner Sunday evening. Should have the Skinner on by then if USPS cooperates.

I'd like to check out the sights when you have them. I want something nicer for my Henry. In return I'll let you try out the 45-70 or pretty much anything else I have. I just don't have a good spot right now. Hopefully that changes in the next few months.

Sunday 1/27 works for me. My oldest is leaving Wednesday 1/30 for the Disn ey Apprentice Program so we're taking her out for dinner Sunday evening. Should have the Skinner on by then if USPS cooperates.
Sundays no good going to a game dinner with my neighbor at his club. He's an old timer and I do his anowblowing.

Well, put the peep site on a couple of days ago, set off for the range on Thursday with the 38/357 carbine from the original post, and the 44magnum rifle just acquired.

Top pic is the 38/357 with 38spcl ammo, holding a "lollipop" picture with the Skinner sight at 25 yards. I'll wait to see what happens at 50 & 100 yards before I address the front sight.

Second pic is the 44mag rifle, shooting 44spcl, also at 25 yards. using the Weaver 1x3 scope at 3x. Tuesday is outdoor range day with both, we'll see how they do at 50 & 100. The 44mag ammo was fun to shoot, a little "thuddier" than the 38special and 357, but I could shoot it all day if my wallet allowed:)

All the shooting was standing, left elbow leaning on the bench.

GREAT GUNS!!!!
20190131_131347.jpg 20190131_133750.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom