• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

It's Morel season, today's menu was Poulet w/morels and cream sauce

i love to roll mine in flour and fry in butter, with a slice of crusty bread

they're really easy to find and identify but the deer and bunnies eat them up fast. just make sure theyre not false morels. slice them open, real morels are hollow and false morels have a brain-like center. you should always slice them, you often find grubs living in the center. they like to grow on steep embankments just above moving water, in or near rotting hardwood, in places where the ground is bare and the sun can hit sometimes. you can find in blue hills or near the river near my house, but they grow a lot more a little later in the season in the berks.

I used to get a pound of morels and a pound of ramps every year and gorge myself. Since my wife passed, I can’t deal with wasting half the bounty. I wish I could find a source of maybe a quarter pound.

I have so much duff layer on my land and not enough heavy rains to give me the “leaf tent” option. Canopy is too dense for morels but honeys and oyster are super abundant. It’s seems morels really need that open canopy to thrive. I hear that many just find them on the front lawn or backyard often but not me 😕

i love to roll mine in flour and fry in butter, with a slice of crusty bread

they're really easy to find and identify but the deer and bunnies eat them up fast. just make sure theyre not false morels. slice them open, real morels are hollow and false morels have a brain-like center. you should always slice them, you often find grubs living in the center. they like to grow on steep embankments just above moving water, in or near rotting hardwood, in places where the ground is bare and the sun can hit sometimes. you can find in blue hills or near the river near my house, but they grow a lot more a little later in the season in the berks.
What is a false morel

false morel:
falsemorel_sliced.jpg

real morel:
splitmorels.jpg

Is there a way to tell before you cut them?

false morels are ugly, heavy, cottony, and the relationship between the cap and stem is different. but when they're young it can be harder to id. people who take mushroom hunting seriously know all about the area they're in as well as which surrounding trees support which species. i might find yellow morels near where i live but different subspecies have different lifecycle characteristics.

I guess I’m seeing morels often?
Can anyone recommend a reliable shroom identification resource?
Don’t want to be dead.

super easy to id, just slice in half and if they're hollow you're gtg. if you're really into finding local wild veg theres a group on MeetUp that forages blue hills and other places, some real shroom experts on there if you know what I mean, you will get a lot of knowledge but you might have put up with their patchouli smell.

I just found these two in the mulch next to the deck. My son and I have looked for the past 2 years unsuccessfully in the woods KIMG1077.JPG

Back
Top Bottom