• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

It's relish time again!

Uzi2

NES Member
My cukes have been coming on strong lately and after eating the smallish ones fresh in cucumber, tomato and onion salad daily and pickling the medium sized ones as dill spears ( 3 cases of widemouth quarts already) and dill hamburger slices, comes the larger ones that were overlooked on the vine......still perfectly edible, just too seedy for other use.

Those are what gets used in sweet relish. I've got two bins of cuke, onion, green, yellow and red belle pepper processed and salted in the fridge ( about 3-4 gallons ) for cooking and jarring up tomorrow morning.
I'll be splitting this batch and making one with jalepino peppers ( canned ) to make a fairly hot batch of sweet relish and the other half just plain.
New pint jars w/lids, $8.00 a case ( 12 ) at Dollar General.

Green beans flowering and should be picking and canning in August.

EDIT: Up early and at it.....12 pints of HOT sweet jalapeno relish ( added 2 whole cans of pickled jalapenos) its got the desired WOW to it........and then 12 1/2 pints of sweet relish with some red pepper flakes for just a little pizzazz.

The 1/2 pint goes in the fridge as the test sample. Seems there's almost always that odd one that doesn't get quite filled but it works out for sampling.

Last edited:
I'm salivating now thank you very much.

Back
Top Bottom