• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I've got what I think is an intersting challenge: How many ways can you start a fire?

We've all been there, trying different techniques to cause a fire wile in the woods. Of course matches would be the easiest way to go but lets face it. When matches are gone, 99% of people would freeze or be forced to eat raw food because they can't create fire. I know, however, that just about everyone here reading the beginning of this thread will have his/her way that would create fire depending on your surroundings. So, what I'd like to know is if you would be willing to share your technique. Anything and everything goes here.

I briefly watched some guy try to create a lens using a condom filled with water! That's pretty inventive. I've got a few of my own techniques that I usually pack for when I'm out in the woods.

Any players out there??

I'll start with mine: I always have some 0000 steel wool tucked into my gear. It catches fire easily with just about any spark source, works when wet, and gets really hot.

How bout yours??

Rome

Always carry one of those small magnesium blocks with the flint attached. Starts a very hot fire with little effort. Just shave a little off the block and strike the flint with your knife.. Very small and lightweight easy to carry..

I have made fire using the drill and bow method but I am telling you it is exhausting to say the least and can be tough when its wet...

Potassium permanganate and glycerine/glycol combine in an exothermic reaction that ignites. Both items are easy to find, and can be stored in shatter/break proof containers until needed. A little bit goes a long way. Also, the potassium permanganate can be used to render water safe to drink when needed. So it's got more than one use. It also burns hot enough to ignite thermite (another thing that could be handy to have available).
[devil2]

I've tried just about every way possible to start a fire, with success. The only one I could not get to work was using a water bottle for magnification and the sun.

Batteries and various ignitors, gum wrapper, steel wool, wire
Wood dremels, saws, hand drill, counter weight hand drill (Spent 6 hours one day trying to light a fire with a hand drill)
Flint, rocks, steel , magnesium, cotton balls,

But I always carry the magnesium stick, flint and striking rod. Guaranteed to light every time unless under water.

Was just about to post this - was told about it by the guys teaching my hunters safety class back in the day.

we used to do this when I was in scouts. thought the best/fastest method we ever came up with was mixture of dryer lint, saw dust, and white gas. I used to keep it in 35mm film canisters; but you still need to light it.

I've tried just about every way possible to start a fire, with success. The only one I could not get to work was using a water bottle for magnification and the sun.

Batteries and various ignitors, gum wrapper, steel wool, wire
Wood dremels, saws, hand drill, counter weight hand drill (Spent 6 hours one day trying to light a fire with a hand drill)
Flint, rocks, steel , magnesium, cotton balls,

But I always carry the magnesium stick, flint and striking rod. Guaranteed to light every time unless under water.

Wow talk about reinventing the wheel.

I just use a lighter or some matches.

My scout sons take a paper egg carton, put dryer lint and sawdust in each compartment, then pour in melted wax. They work great.

Personally, every car, backpack and anything else I have has 1 or 2 little Bic butane lighers. They'll start hundreds of fires and are more reliable than "waterproof" matches, a fire drill, 9V battery or anything else except possibly a flint and steel.

Road flare? There is a reason I keep a few in my pack.

9v and steel wool is great, I've been told to make a lens out of ice, I just told that guy to kick rocks.

Because I smoke ecigs, I always have Kanal wire, batteries, and at least two ways to charge the battery.

I try to keep it simple. I have not bothered trying a bow drill or other similarly challenging method that has poor odds of success. If I am trying to survive, spending hours unsuccessfully with a bow drill sounds like a lousy time.

So:

Match

Lighter

Firesteel rod with sparks into cotton, catails or goldenrod.

Magnifying glass or eyeglasses. The sun reflects off white cotton or fluff, so I find a dead dark leaf, put cotton on it and start my hole burn at the edge of the cotton. Really simple and easy.

I have accidentally set wood on fire with a power drill, if it is old dry wood. I now keep water handy when drilling a beam in my house.

Cigarette lighter in my truck.

Blow torch with one of those spark tools works really well, should I happen to be stranded in the woods with plumbing tools and nothing else.

If I had Mexican food the day before I can just seat on some dry leafs and that should work.

Jk

Sub on this tread hope to learn some cool tricks here . ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one of those cheap survival whistle things that have a thermometer, compass and tiny magnifying glass in them. I confirmed the magnifying glass can start a fire. It remains attached to my hiking backpack.

i have used steel wool and 9v battery...i use dryer lint with a lighter/matches all the time...have used a magnifying glass as well as flint/steel...maybe a can of sterno or some in a smaller container...i've been wanting to try that bear grylls char cloth technique but never bothered...birch bark is also pretty flammable...when i'm hiking i always carry a throw line with me and sometimes a sinker in case i need some dry wood i can toss the line up to get dead pine branches for firewood...also makes a weekend of camping really cheap...whatever works and is fastest is what i use

Last edited:
I always wanted to try a fire piston.
Basically, a volume of air has a certain amount of heat in it. If you compress that air into a small space the temperature goes up.
They even sell them on Amazon.

Mag and flint. I must 15 of things. One in my briefcase, one in my jeep, one in my BOB, one at the office....well you get the picture.

Sent from the depths of Hell with TapaTalk V2

I light a bunch of fires in my off grid no electric at all cabin. Both in the woodstove and the fire pit.

I use a butane lighter , or a wooden match from a coffee can , ... Just for laughs every now and then I'll use the magnesium/flint gizmo in my bag. ... So : 3 ways.

I'm not bear grills but I never have a problem , dry , rainy , February ... It just may take a few extra minutes of prep time. What does satisfy me is that I always have a full on proper fire out of that one match. Prep work is everything - whether building a fire or seducing Salma Hayak.

You all have offered up some pretty inventive suggestions. The one I had not tried is cotton balls in vasoline. that's one I'm going to try. I have tried the Glycerin and Purple Chemical numerous times. The kids love it! It's easy to do, too, and works in any weather although the colder it is the longer the reaction takes.

Now, however, put yourself into a situation where it's night time, it's relatively damp, and you're stranded somewhere. Now I'm going to tell you right up front that I have my carry piece in my left pocket, and I typically carry a mag-stick fire-starter in my right with my Kershaw folder. I don't know why I started that. It just seems natural to me. I really love the steel wool/battery idea. It would work in a blizzard.

Keep 'em coming. There are dozens if not 100 more ideas out there that need to be vetted. I'm confident that some of you will try them yourselves and add to your arsenal of knowledge. You're friends (fellow survivors) will think you're a God.

Rome I

Back
Top Bottom