• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

IWB carry with a Striker fired Semi

As for holsters, I don’t like hybrid holsters. Alien gear is the only one I’ve ever had and it did not perform too well. It held the gun in place and that was it. It lacked positive retention and closed up when I drew. I didn’t like that it had two clips. The leather fatigued pretty quick from exposure to sweat.
That might be more an issue with Alien Gear than hybrid holsters in general. I love my Crossbreed holsters.

That's phenomenal. I had no idea something like that existed. I may pick one up for my G19.

It's actually an ingeniously simple concept that I wish I thought of, as manufacturing these things must be simple as hell. I just don't know how they work in practice. I'd be interested in hearing if you do end up buying one.

Smith 360PD appendix, or Glock 19 at 3:30 canted slightly forward to fit my body and print less. I'm small so I have alot of angles to work with, but need to make sure that printing never happens.

Gotta also recommend the Milt Sparks VMII, with a good belt and shirt I can CC a full sized Sig 226, and I'm basically a twig.

Gotta also recommend the Milt Sparks VMII, with a good belt and shirt I can CC a full sized Sig 226, and I'm basically a twig.

I had one and sold it. It was clearly very well made, but it just didn’t work for me. I found it to be both uncomfortable and a pain in the neck to put on and take off.

Holsters are definitely a YMMV thing.

Last edited:
I had one and sold it. It was clearly very well made, but it just didn’t work for me. I found it to be both uncomfortable and a pain in the neck to put on and take off.

Totally. Its amazing to me how different peoples prefences can be, how specifically specialized people can want.

It had an odd cut for sure, but on my 6' 160# frame the belt loops pull the butt of the pistol sort of around my kidney if that makes any sense. I felt like Nico Bellic pulling a rocket launcher out of my pants.

That might be more an issue with Alien Gear than hybrid holsters in general. I love my Crossbreed holsters.

Yep. My preferences are just the opposite. I have three Crossbreeds that I keep meaning to sell. I could just never get them to sit comfortably. Bought a VMII for a 320 and love it.
I think I have settled in single clip IWB only with small guns. PM9 -365

I like my 19 at 3:30-4 o’clock in an alien gear, I’m in and out of the truck a lot some days and it’s very comfy for me. I do the same with a shield in an alien gear. I used to only wear 19 in colder months but a better belt makes it just fine in the summer, and with moonbats in full psycho mode I like 16 before reload vs 9.

I have more expensive holsters sitting, slightly used, in a box. Everyone is different.

Holstering is why I like a manual safety on my SF carry gun. I always make sure the thumb safety is on before I holster. I appendix carry, so I'm very cognizant of where that thing is pointing!

I prefer appendix carry. I'm not so trim, but at least my chest is still much bigger than my waist. You'll get a lot of opinions on this, mostly against, but I don't care to appendix carry (or any IWB carry) a striker fired with one in the chamber. The usual NES monkeys will soon start throwing poop from their cage regarding empty chamber carry, but just be sure that you do what's right for you. If you do IWB carry a striker fired pistol with one in the pipe, be sure that it is clear of any obstruction when holstering. You won't want a loose shirt or some other item to get stuck between the gun and the holster. FWIW, my every day carry is a Sig P220C DA/SA with one in the pipe and the hammer de-cocked.

Yep. My preferences are just the opposite. I have three Crossbreeds that I keep meaning to sell. I could just never get them to sit comfortably. Bought a VMII for a 320 and love it.
I think I have settled in single clip IWB only with small guns. PM9 -365

If I carry my PM9, I do so in a pocket holster. If I’m carrying on my belt, I’m carrying something bigger.

Thank you all for your input. I have decided to go around 1:30-2 o’clock, and begin with one in the chamber and practice indexing and drawing at the range. Slow is definitely ideal for re-holstering, and the trigger guard on the Alien Gear is very reliable (NRA best holster in 2016-2017? Need to confirm).

The Striker fired trigger is very mechanically sound, no perpendicular pressure external to the trigger guard of the holster will set it in motion. Also in the car I have a duty belt and a Beretta 92FS I will use (or an old fashioned shoulder holster).

I do agree with a lot of you: The Alien Gear is a tad stiff but I do enjoy that it does not print and it is very comfortable with an undershirt on. I will definitely look into holsters from the manufacturers people listed in the future. Thanks again, bros.

Most I have met that have tried appendix like it; it’s not nearly as uncomfortable as it looks. I usually carry about 12:30, just offset from my belt buckle. If I put it further right it prints and digs into my thigh, but I’m a pretty small guy.

If you’re going aiwb only full kydex will do.

Good luck!

Fair enough, I’ll use the Snap Caps until I am ready for the real thing.

You can if you want to, but no need for snap caps. Remove all ammo from where you will be practicing.

Remove the magazine and clear the chamber. Double check. Triple check. Take an empty magazine. Are you sure it is empty? Check again. Insert empty magazine in the gun. Now you can start practicing holstering and drawing. As you go, check to make sure the striker never falls while you are practicing.

Most I have met that have tried appendix like it; it’s not nearly as uncomfortable as it looks. I usually carry about 12:30, just offset from my belt buckle. If I put it further right it prints and digs into my thigh, but I’m a pretty small guy.

If you’re going aiwb only full kydex will do.

Good luck!

Dumb question but what's the difference with holsters meant for Appendix carry? They look the same to me. I've only tried ones meant for 3-5 oclock, and they weren't comfortable in Appendix carry.

Dumb question but what's the difference with holsters meant for Appendix carry? They look the same to me. I've only tried ones meant for 3-5 oclock, and they weren't comfortable in Appendix carry.
They’re not usually laden with additional features, but a few things help cancels better and add comfort. They will pretty much always be straight drop, and often the clip or loop will be over the trigger guard if there is only one. They may have a claw that pushes on the belt to rotate the grip toward the body slightly. A foam wedge or pad on the slide section facing the body can add comfort and concealment. They may also be a little longer than the slide of the pistol which often helps with comfort because it allows the gun to rest flat against the body rather than poke straight down into your leg or junk area. Bravo concealment has a “torsion” feature where the pistol is molded into the two pieces of kydex on a slight angle which twists the grip in a bit. I think that one is a bit gimmicky but I like the holster anyway.

I got a Milt Sparks Summer Special II and don't really like that either. Not tuckable and while beautiful quality the leather is so stiff it's no more comfortable than kydex. More of a BBQ gun holster than EDC holster.

I have a hybrid holster and not sure it has enough retention. Like with the belt on it seems fine but off the belt the gun'll fall out if you hold it upside down. Maybe that doesn't matter but I like the kydex holsters where you never have to worry about it falling out.

I have a hybrid holster and not sure it has enough retention. Like with the belt on it seems fine but off the belt the gun'll fall out if you hold it upside down. Maybe that doesn't matter but I like the kydex holsters where you never have to worry about it falling out.

What matters is the retention it has when you are wearing it. If you intend to carry your gun around with the holster in your hand upside down, then perhaps it doesn’t have enough retention [wink]

I got a Milt Sparks Summer Special II and don't really like that either. Not tuckable and while beautiful quality the leather is so stiff it's no more comfortable than kydex. More of a BBQ gun holster than EDC holster.

I have a couple holsters from Rusty Sherrick that are basically copies of the Summer Special. Very well made, but horribly uncomfortable for me.

Back
Top Bottom