• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

IWB Holster Not Staying In Place

Last night I tried carrying my 3" 1911 IWB for the first time when I went out to run a few errands. I didnt want to spend a lot of money only to find out I didnt like that carry method, so I picked up a Hague Textiles holster with a single belt clip for short money, and had it around four o clock. I also picked up one of their 1.5" basket weave belts too, which I was wearing.

I went to to the store, and then stopped at the ATM. When I was about to leave the ATM I realized that the gun felt like it was riding really high, when I reached back, it was unclipped, and about halfway out. I put it back in place, and went back to the car. I made another stop, and when I got back in the car, it popped completely out. I'm trying to figure out if its me, being 5'11" 290lbs, or if its a problem with this style of holster, any input? Other than needing to replace my grips because they chaffed my back a bit, it wasnt nearly as uncomfortable as I was expecting.

Get a better holster. Crossbread Supertuck is just one example. I would not carry a 1911 on a single clip holster personally. If you are going with a style of holster that is a single connection, I would want a full loop to avoid the very problem you are seeing.

I am 6'2" 250lbs and have zero problems carrying a 1911 IWB with a good belt and quality holster.

Your holster is a POS. Spend some money on a good one, with secure belt loops. Get kydex, you can put moleskin on it if/where needed

Get a better holster. Crossbread Supertuck is just one example. I would not carry a 1911 on a single clip holster personally. If you are going with a style of holster that is a single connection, I would want a full loop to avoid the very problem you are seeing.

I am 6'2" 250lbs and have zero problems carrying a 1911 IWB with a good belt and quality holster.

+1 CrossBreed holsters are top quality, but you have to have a decent belt in order for the package to work. If you have both it doesn't matter what firearm you are carrying it will stay put.

when i bought my 1911 Commander, It came with the CrossBreed, it carrys well, stays in place.

i started carrying my Shield in a Single clip Kydex, it stayed in place just fine, but wasn't as comfortble. I bought a Desantis Intruder, it was $38 on amazon. another 7.50 for jclips. stays in place on my custom leather belt i bought from the guy that goes to the gun/craft shows. i wear it all day every day, and barely know its there and it never moved.

This.

thats kinda what I was figuring, I have their OWB holster, and it was pretty nice for the money, Fgured I would try their IWB too, not really knowing the difference between the clips and the loops.

I wasnt trying to cheap out on the holster, I was just trying to avoid paying good money for a holster which I wasnt going to like that carry method. I was doing some research last night before posting this, and I found a Milt Sparks VM 2 in stock at one of his retailers, can anybody offer input as to pros and cons of this vs his other holsters?

Every person I know who buys a Versa-Max swears by it. I used SS-2 holsters for years, until I got tired of the pain in my back, and the occasional inadvertant display of the firearm, that are part and parcel of carrying back there. For me, AIWB - with the right holster, belt, and pants - changes all that for the better.

Once I settled on AIWB, I've never looked back.

- - - Updated - - -

http://keepersconcealment.com/

YMMV on all of this given differences in height, weight, and carry position, but I too carry an officer 1911, and my journey to my perfect IWB had some detours.

I started OWB (Tagua belt slide), which was fine until I lost some weight and wanted to go deeper. So I went with an AlienGear holster similar to the Cross Breed design others are suggesting. Holster retention and build quality were excellent, but I disliked not being able to adjust the cant on the fly. worse, the backing allowed the rear corner of the slide to dig into my side.

So I tried OWB again, this time a Yaqui slide. Nope. Then I got a N82 Pro holster in a trade with a Sig p238, and I liked it so much I splurged for a 1911 version. That, plus a good belt, solved all my problems.

Should have bought it first and saved some money in the long run.

Moral of the story: don't despair. IWB with a 1911 will eventually work for you, but it may take time.

Thanks, I was surprised that it wasnt as obtrusive feeling to me the first time as I expected it to. One bonus for me, I have no ass, so even with belts, my pants never stay up like they should. Having the holster there cures that!

I spoke with Tim at Hauge, he was perplexed, he tells me that this is the first time anyone has ever had an issue with this holster, and that he sells hundreds of them a month. Either way, the holster is going back for a refund, and a VM2 is on its way from Top Gun Supply. Well worth a $20 premium to get is so much sooner!

wear it around the house and see if you like the weight of carrying that 1911. If you do and you are comfortable with that then take the advice of the previous posters and get a quality holster.

I just saw that my VM 2 arrived yesterday. I havent had a chance to try it out yet, but man, what a nice piece! I totally get the difference in quality now.

Yeah, mine was taxed off too.
Thanks, I was surprised that it wasnt as obtrusive feeling to me the first time as I expected it to. One bonus for me, I have no ass, so even with belts, my pants never stay up like they should. Having the holster there cures that!

I spoke with Tim at Hauge, he was perplexed, he tells me that this is the first time anyone has ever had an issue with this holster, and that he sells hundreds of them a month. Either way, the holster is going back for a refund, and a VM2 is on its way from Top Gun Supply. Well worth a $20 premium to get is so much sooner!

For what it's worth, I've found that Comp-Tac's 'standard clips' don't stay clipped either, especially when used for practice on the range. (Comp-Tac does offer 'C-clips', which might work better in that respect.) I also found that Raven Concealment's ACR's rear strut tended to walk upward right out of the pants. (The ACR really, really, sucks; I have two, and both are/were awful. DON'T buy one of those.) My point is that it's not just a function of price, or perceived quality. Lots of people would describe Raven and Comp-Tac as makers of quality holsters. Some products, despite cost or pedigree, will fail to meet our expectations - like the expectation that a holster will stay where it's supposed to.

Minotaur OWB? Is there such a thing? I have the Minotaur for IWB and two shells: M&P 9c and Sig P239. Fits beautifully (and as comfortably as you can get for IWB carry) (for reference I'm 5 ft. 11 in. and ~175 lbs.). I also used it for a week or two for IDPA and it worked well while I waited for an International paddle holster to arrive from Comp-tac. The struts on the MTAC can be adjusted to the ride height you're looking for so it doesn't sit too low. I guess like anything, YMMV.

Last edited:
I just looked at that company's website, and their products don't look shitty in terms of the leather work, but the IWB holsters have a spring clip, like the Don Humes.

Spring clips suck.

Get an MTAC or Spartan from Comp Tac, and get a nice thick stiff belt, like a reinforced cordura/kydex one if you want the tacticool style, or just a solid, thick leather belt made from 12oz harness leather. They're like 30$ from Gray Eagle.

I was doing some research last night before posting this, and I found a Milt Sparks VM 2 in stock at one of his retailers, can anybody offer input as to pros and cons of this vs his other holsters?

I had a VM2. I sold it. I prefer a Crossbreed -- I find them to be more comfortable.

YMMV on all of this given differences in height, weight, and carry position, but I too carry an officer 1911, and my journey to my perfect IWB had some detours.

I started OWB (Tagua belt slide), which was fine until I lost some weight and wanted to go deeper. So I went with an AlienGear holster similar to the Cross Breed design others are suggesting. Holster retention and build quality were excellent, but I disliked not being able to adjust the cant on the fly. worse, the backing allowed the rear corner of the slide to dig into my side.

So I tried OWB again, this time a Yaqui slide. Nope. Then I got a N82 Pro holster in a trade with a Sig p238, and I liked it so much I splurged for a 1911 version. That, plus a good belt, solved all my problems.

Should have bought it first and saved some money in the long run.

Moral of the story: don't despair. IWB with a 1911 will eventually work for you, but it may take time.

I use the same holster and love it. I like the single clip to easily adjust position and cant for things like sitting down in the truck or a chair. Always stays put and I find it extremely comfortable and I have tried a few different IWB options including the cross breed. Personal preference I guess. My only issue is on a double stack wider frame like my G19, having the clip attach on the outside of the kydex adds a little more thickness to the overall setup. I don't find this an issue with single stacks like a Shield or LC9. I don't have one for my 1911s but I don't carry them either so I won't by an IWB for them.

Minotaur OWB? Is there such a thing? I have the Minotaur for IWB and two shells: M&P 9c and Sig P239. Fits beautifully (and as comfortably as you can get for IWB carry) (for reference I'm 5 ft. 11 in. and ~175 lbs.). I also used it for a week or two for IDPA and it worked well while I waited for an International paddle holster to arrive from Comp-tac. The struts on the MTAC can be adjusted to the ride height you're looking for so it doesn't sit too low. I guess like anything, YMMV.
sorry, its a gladiator.

I just looked at that company's website, and their products don't look shitty in terms of the leather work, but the IWB holsters have a spring clip, like the Don Humes.

Spring clips suck.
the only negative to these holsters is the clip, the leather work is very good. I bought them based of several positive reviews from people on here. The finish isnt as high quality when compared to the VM 2, but it also was about $100 cheaper. The Sparks holster has a lot more time put into it in polishing edges etc.

For the price difference, I am more than happy with the Hague Longhorn OWB holster, it just needs to be worn in to make the edges softer. I biought his basket weave belt too, and I am quite happy with that too. Despite my issues with the IWB holster, I still would recommend them to anyone for the other products.

Back
Top Bottom