• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

J Frames and IDPA

DarthRevan

NES Member
Let's say I was crazy enough to consider a five shot j frame in IDPA, is that just in the Revolver class or would that be competitive in BUG?

Let's say I was crazy enough to consider a five shot j frame in IDPA, is that just in the Revolver class or would that be competitive in BUG?

I shot a revolver in IDPA for about a year. A J-frame would not in any way be competitive in the revolver class. 5 shots and a short barrel would kill you.

If you want to compete in the revolver class, get a 4" S&W Model 66 or 686, or a Ruger GP100 Match Champion. Have a gunsmith do a trigger job, bob the hammer, and chamfer the charge holes. Get speedloaders that release by pushing, not twisting, like the Safariland Comp III:

COMP%20III_Speedloader.jpg

Don't bother with HKS speedloaders for IDPA -- reloading with an HKS speedloader is so slow that you will have to wake up your SO from his nap when finish your run.

You will want FMJ .38 Spcl rounds, to speed up your reloads. It would be best if you reload them yourself, so that you can tailor your rounds to the low power floor and minimize recoil.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone use a BUG gun at an IDPA match.

Last edited:
Try a BUG match with one.

I would (try a J Frame) for fun, but only for a specific BUG match and not for a normal match.

That said, if you carry a j-frame, good to get some practice with it in some mock scenarios.

I shot a revolver in IDPA for about a year. A J-frame would not in any way be competitive in the revolver class. 5 shots and a short barrel would kill you.

If you want to compete in the revolver class, get a 4" S&W Model 66 or 686, or a Ruger GP100 Match Champion. Have a gunsmith do a trigger job, bob the hammer, and chamfer the charge holes. Get speedloaders that release by pushing, not twisting, like the Safariland Comp III:

COMP%20III_Speedloader.jpg

Don't bother with HKS speedloaders for IDPA -- reloading with an HKS speedloader is so slow that you will have to wake up your SO from his nap when finish your run.
So no bonus points for running a stock GP100 vs one that's had work done?
those speed loaders are snazzy!

So no bonus points for running a stock GP100 vs one that's had work done?
those speed loaders are snazzy!

No bonus points and it will cost you time. Stock DA triggers are usually over 10 lbs. A good trigger job on a S&W K-frame is easily 7 lbs or so, which makes a huge difference (my gamer Glock has a 2-lb trigger). Also, sharp corners on the charge holes will hang up your reloads. Reloading a revolver has a pretty high chance of going wrong and ending up with a pile of cartridges at your feet. Chamfering the charge holes speeds up reloads and reduces the chance of it all going to crap.

In my experience shooting revolver in IDPA, using SA is never an advantage -- it always costs you time, even on hard shots. You are far better off just rolling through the DA trigger. So the hammer spur is doing nothing for you, just adding the possibility of snagging on your draw. You will be better off without the hammer spur.

Most people who are serious about revolver in IDPA modify those speedloaders to speed them up. The remove the shroud around the spring and mill or sand down the circular platform so that it is about 1/2 the thickness.

I'd be more apt to shoot a course with my G42 than my M36. [wink]

Speaking of, none of the clubs I've been to have ever run a BUG division match as far as I know. Anyone know where these may be held, in the SE MA region? I actually would like to try one with the G42.

Last edited:

Speaking of, none of the clubs I've been to have ever run a BUG division match as far as I know. Anyone know where these may be held, in the SE MA region? I actually would like to try one with the G42.
I might be wrong, but I don't think you need a specific match for it. I think you can just state your division at signup and go.

They are few and far between (a genuine BUG match).

I shot my G26 over the G43 just due to being able to use a G17 mag carrier.

The only one that I've ever seen was the national BUG match held at S&W a couple times, but I think that match has been discontinued.

I might be wrong, but I don't think you need a specific match for it. I think you can just state your division at signup and go.

You could shoot it in CCP which is for barrels under 3.9" I believe. I have not seen a check box for a BUG gun on the IDPA's I have gone too. But the CCP (new as of last year) is for the smaller guns.

I shot one some years ago at the Rod & Gun Club of New Bedford, but I don't know if they still run them. I'm pretty sure there was just one BUG match there that year.

The only one that I've ever seen was the national BUG match held at S&W a couple times, but I think that match has been discontinued.

I can't imagine why..... Jerry running a 3" 686 and Mike Seeklander running a 3" 1911.... if IDPA was serious about the BUG Division the rules would have been a little more "focused."

I can't imagine why..... Jerry running a 3" 686 and Mike Seeklander running a 3" 1911.... if IDPA was serious about the BUG Division the rules would have been a little more "focused."

If I had shot that match, I would have brought either a Kahr K9, a 2 1/2" 66, or a Kimber Compact 1911 (if it met the regs), but I'm a gamer.

If I had shot that match, I would have brought either a Kahr K9, a 2 1/2" 66, or a Kimber Compact 1911 (if it met the regs), but I'm a gamer.

I would have run the K9....but then again I saw video of someone running a Colt 1903 (in .380 I suspect) so I might have considered running that! :D

Do you want to win? or challenge yourself with a difficult course (for a j frame) and the artificial stress of th clock and everyone saying WTF is that a Jframe?
I say go for it
But I'm not that good, and will never win, so...

According to this week's version of the rule book, local clubs are supposed to accommodate a BUG division in their regular matches. Given a capacity of 5 rounds you would be allowed be to use 4 speed loaders per stage. Go for it, if you can shoot at all, you just might do surprising well overall.

When it comes to reloading in the revolver class, are you allowed to tilt the barrel to the sky as you're slamming the ejector rod?

That depends upon the range. In most cases it is not an issue.

Personally, I keep the revolver in my right hand while reloading and don't raise the muzzle much at all.

Not about J Frames but I've bought 4 of the Comp II speed loaders for my GP100, man those things are pretty cool. I might go to Worcester's practice IDPA matches and see how it runs.

Make up some dummy rounds on a reloading press and start practicing reloads. It takes a fair bit of practice to pull off a fast reload with speedloaders.

Yup. It is easier if you have the charge holes chamfered and you use FMJ rounds. The Comp IIIs are easier than Comp II as they are bigger -- more to hold onto.

Once you are comfortable doing standing reloads, start practicing them on the move.

Back
Top Bottom