• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

James O'Keefe (Project Veritas) Denied by NICS -- Placed on Felon List!!!!

Anyone know if this is his first gun? I am wondering if and when he was previously approved by NICS.

Setting up so that your associates are posing as telephone repair persons and insisting on inspecting the telephone system sure sounds like false pretenses. Stop crying about how you would have fought it today. You got a cherry deal dude, no rides on the whambulance today.

As for the charge triggering a NCIS denial... entering a fed building u/f/p could be punishable by up to 10 years imprisonment if w/ intent to commit a felon, however this is not the charge that was applied. Any other case of entering a fed building u/f/p is punishable by up to 6 months - as he stated.

Damn, Pled guilty to entering federal property under false pretenses.

10 year sentence. Yup, he's disqualified forever.
the 10 years is only if "with intent to commit a felony". That, to my knowledge, wasn't the charge applied.

18 U.S. Code § 1036

(b) The punishment for an offense under subsection (a) of this section is—
(1) a fine under this title or imprisonment for not more than 10 years, or both, if the offense is committed with the intent to commit a felony; or
(2) a fine under this title or imprisonment for not more than 6 months, or both, in any other case.

the 10 years is only if "with intent to commit a felony". That, to my knowledge, wasn't the charge applied.
After i read the article you posted and then looked up the code and posted that,

I do think he's pretty screwed. Sort of like copping to a dui in MA and getting off with a fine and community service. Still lost your gun rights forever and ever.

If the reporting in the article you posted is accurate, he pled guilty to an offense that could result in a 10 year sentence.

MA DUI conviction is a misdemeanor, but is a jail sentence of two years. So, Jimmy isn't convicted felon, per se, but the prison time he could of faced makes him ineligible for a gun.

Details matter.....

Cool, your Google works. How does that contradict anything that I posted?

After i read the article you posted and then looked up the code and posted that,

I do think he's pretty screwed. Sort of like copping to a dui in MA and getting off with a fine and community service. Still lost your gun rights forever and ever.

If the reporting in the article you posted is accurate, he pled guilty to an offense that could result in a 10 year sentence.

MA DUI conviction is a misdemeanor, but is a jail sentence of two years. So, Jimmy isn't convicted felon, per se, but the prison time he could of faced makes him ineligible for a gun.
The problem with that rational is that "with intent to commit a felony" would be a separate element of the crime. The lesser 6 month max crime has fewer elements that would need to be proven. You cannot apply the 10 years as a possible max sentence for the crime O'Keefe was found guilty of in this case.

The problem with that rational is that "with intent to commit a felony" would be a separate element of the crime. The lesser 6 month max crime has fewer elements that would need to be proven. You cannot apply the 10 years as a possible max sentence for the crime O'Keefe was found guilty of in this case.
Agreed.

But what it does is confirm my belief that our laws and courts are fubar.

See post 3

The end result didnt = the above as per the link I posted

As for the charge triggering a NCIS denial... entering a fed building u/f/p could be punishable by up to 10 years imprisonment if w/ intent to commit a felon, however this is not the charge that was applied. Any other case of entering a fed building u/f/p is punishable by up to 6 months - as he stated.

Back
Top Bottom