• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Jan 3 2023: 3-3-3 Radio Plan Test Day

MaverickNH

NES Member

A good way to start the 2023 radio year is joining the 3-3-3 Radio Plan and RX and/or TX on whatever radio you’ve got. For example, get outside with your Midland FRS radio at Noon and set to Channel 3 - listen a minute and reply if you hear anything. Often everyone is just listening so try sending at 12:01/12:02/12:03/12:04/12:05pm. You can just say “Bob in Bobstown, listening on FRS 3” - no need to give away your full identity and location.

If you’re a Ham on VHF/UHF, 146.520/446.030 MHz is worth a try - you know what to do! On HF, the day/night bands look promising for 3Jan.

0221A646-83A0-40B3-9516-710C2A246B84.jpeg

A good way to start the 2023 radio year is joining the 3-3-3 Radio Plan and RX and/or TX on whatever radio you’ve got. For example, get outside with your Midland FRS radio at Noon and set to Channel 3 - listen a minute and reply if you hear anything. Often everyone is just listening so try sending at 12:01/12:02/12:03/12:04/12:05pm. You can just say “Bob in Bobstown, listening on FRS 3” - no need to give away your full identity and location.

If you’re a Ham on VHF/UHF, 146.520/446.030 MHz is worth a try - you know what to do! On HF, the day/night bands look promising for 3Jan.

View attachment 704721

No contacts in my area using HTs at 3pm. Several locals were outside RX/TX on FRS3, GMRS17 and HAM52 but the rain might have dampened already minimal range.

I’m thinking I might grab a Retevis RT97S GMRS repeater and hike up Mount Uncanoonuc North in Goffstown NH and hang two GMRS-tuned vertical dipoles to see if we can get some local QSOs. There’s no GMRS repeaters listed on MyGMRS for West & Northwest of my groups area.

I might first try a simple Baofeng Repeater using 2 UV-5Rs and a $20 repeater-box to couple them - if it fails, it’s probably just the crappy radios overwhelmed by nearby signals.

Last edited:
No contacts in my area using HTs at 3pm. Several locals were outside RX/TX on FRS3, GMRS17 and HAM52 but the rain might have dampened already minimal range.

I’m thinking I might grab a Retevis RT97S GMRS repeater and hike up Mount Uncanoonuc North in Goffstown NH and hang two GMRS-tuned vertical dipoles to see if we can get some local QSOs. There’s no GMRS repeaters listed on MyGMRS for West & Northwest of my groups area.

I might first try a simple Baofeng Repeater using 2 UV-5Rs and a $20 repeater-box to couple them - if it fails, it’s probably just the crappy radios overwhelmed by nearby signals.
From what I can tell I have GMRS repeaters near me but none listed on MyGMRS. GMRS is annoying that the repeater channels are also regular channels, so unless you monitor both you can't tell if you're getting simplex or the repeater.

I bought a pair of Baofeng UV-9G GMRS HTs that are surprisingly well built. They have programming software and the set I bought included much nicer antennas and programming cables. No ragerts other than I never use them because I don't have anyone to talk to.

Amazon product ASIN B0B6NQYBKTView: https://www.amazon.com/BAOFENG-Waterproof-Outdoors-Rechargeable-Programming/dp/B0B6NQYBKT?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

Back
Top Bottom