• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Jif Peanut Butter Recall

Knob Creek

NES Member
Check your Prepper storage and everyday food.

'The J. M. Smucker Co. is recalling select Jif® peanut butter products sold in the U.S. due to potential Salmonella contamination. Salmonella is an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (i.e., infected aneurysms), endocarditis and arthritis.

The recalled peanut butter was distributed nationwide in retail stores and other outlets. Recalled products include the products below with lot codes 1274425 – 2140425. Lot codes are included alongside best-if-used-by date.'

The J. M. Smucker Co. Issues Voluntary Recall of Select Jif® Products Sold in the U.S. for Potential Salmonella Contamination

....haven’t got sick yet from eating it.
you probably won't. a voluntary recall is better than a forced fda recall. the company has some reason to suspect salmonella contamination. it most likely did not get into the product but something tested positive when the techs took their samples and raised a red flag. they still have to report the voluntary recall to the fda, but at this stage, the fda will let the company handle things and won't get involved. i worked 10 years for a major national food manufacturer and saw this more than a few times. companies take this very seriously. it takes years to win back the publics trust if there's a major incident so they feel the need to head it off. when the techs take samples of the manufacturing area they also test the floors, ladders, foot baths, door handles, everything in the surrounding area besides the product being run. they could have found trace contamination on a couple of spots on the floor and thought it prudent to do the recall just because, until they confirm the equipment is clean...i know, too much info.

If I find any, I'll use it as Eldest Son stock...

1653190532085.png
[rofl]

Thanks for the heads up. I don't use JIF personally but it's good to know when things are recalled. I don't have a good way of knowing if anything gets recalled other than a note posted at my grocery store.

Don't use much Peanut Butter anyway. Have some Skippy in the pantry. My wife cares for it and we had a jar of Jif. Guess I'll use it as bait for Rodent Traps. If they don't spring the traps and get the PB then I'll get them anyway.

So you’re not a choosey mom?
No, i am a choosey Dad though. My kid likes PB to cook with, flavor accentuator, thickening agent, potential allergen for classmates (she will likely grow up to be an assassin). We use Teddy. It's thicker and has a truer nut flavor and since a jar will last us months, cost isn't an issue.

Had 3 jars matching the recall numbers. Pulled them off the shelf, took a sharpie marker and wrote "Do Not Eat" on the tops. They'll be used to mix into deer feed.
Went to their website and filled out the form for replacements.

Got my email notice yesterday that my replacement coupons will be mailed shortly.

1657186907660.png

Had 3 jars matching the recall numbers. Pulled them off the shelf, took a sharpie marker and wrote "Do Not Eat" on the tops. They'll be used to mix into deer feed.
Went to their website and filled out the form for replacements.

Got my email notice yesterday that my replacement coupons will be mailed shortly.

View attachment 634846
Should you eat deer that eat recalled Jif?

Back
Top Bottom