• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Jim Zumbo of Outdoor Life labels AR-15s Terrorist Rifles

Couldn't resist adding to the "Last Supper" one...

last.JPG

Somebody else did this one...

evil-rifle.jpg
[rofl]

Gerbers response to my email;

Following Jim Zumbo’s recent comments, those of us at Gerber would like to clarify that we respect the opinion of our sponsored hunters and users however, we do not necessarily agree with all their opinions, nor do we endorse their public statements. Our presence and development in the tactical and hunting markets is proof-positive we are committed to supporting these industries and all those involved.

Since Jim’s blog was published he has issued this apology: http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/2007/02/i_was_wrong_big.html.

Thanks for supporting our rights and for supporting Gerber Legendary Blades.

Jason Kintzler
Senior Communications Manager

Mr reply;

Mr. Kintzler,

While I thank you for your reply, it is evident that Gerber will not sever its relationship with Mr. Zumbo and demand his dismissal. That is unacceptable!

Americans will not stand for anyone calling law-abiding citizens with AR type rifles, terrorists. Nor will we support those that do. If you do not withdraw your support, I fear Gerber will feel the storm that rained down up Mr. Zumbo.

Gerbers response to my email;

Following Jim Zumbo’s recent comments, those of us at Gerber would like to clarify that we respect the opinion of our sponsored hunters and users however, we do not necessarily agree with all their opinions, nor do we endorse their public statements. Our presence and development in the
tactical and hunting markets is proof-positive we are committed to supporting these industries and all those involved.

Since Jim’s blog was published he has issued this apology: http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/2007/02/i_was_wrong_big.html.

Thanks for supporting our rights and for supporting Gerber Legendary Blades.

Jason Kintzler
Senior Communications Manager

Mr reply;

Mr. Kintzler,

While I thank you for your reply, it is evident that Gerber will not sever its relationship with Mr. Zumbo and demand his dismissal. That is unacceptable!

Americans will not stand for anyone calling law-abiding citizens with AR type rifles, terrorists. Nor will we support those that do. If you do not withdraw your support, I fear Gerber will feel the storm that rained down up Mr. Zumbo.

Based on what I'm seeing around the various web sites, the response to Gerber's canned email has been pretty much the same.

Here's mine:

Thanks you for clearly stating your position. Based on it, as I stated earlier, I will refrain from doing business with your company, directly or indirectly, until you publicly sever ties with Mr. Zumbo, and will do my absolute best to convince as many other people as possible to do likewise.

Sincerely

Mark Schneider
Leominster, MA

x

Dear Gerber:

If one of your sponsored people used the "N word" in a hate filled on-line diatribe, and later apologized, would you respect their opinion and continue a sponsorship relationship?

The Zumbo fallout continues......

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=549123

The lone hold out seems to be Gerber Knives.

from ar15.com and Cabela's

Cabela's response from an inquiry by USPcompact:

Thanks for your comments. While Cabela’s believes everyone has the right to express their own opinions, we strongly disagree with Jim Zumbo’s February 16 posting on his Hunting with Jim Zumbo blog on Outdoor Life’s Web site.

Throughout our 46-year history, Cabela’s has firmly supported all aspects of shooting sports. We strongly support the Second Amendment of the Constitution of the United States and the right of every U.S. citizen to purchase, own and enjoy any legal firearm of their choosing.

While we fully support Mr. Zumbo’s First Amendment right of free speech, we believe his opinions on this matter are counter to those shared by Cabela’s and many of our customers. Cabela’s Legal Department is currently reviewing contractual obligations and commitments regarding our sponsorship of the Jim Zumbo Outdoors television show.

Have a great day.
Sincerely,
Brent"

Last edited:
I'm still laughing at Scrivener's comment. Shall we make a bumper sticker asking:

How many Zumbos does it take to ...

http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/2007/02/statement_from_.html

Statement from Outdoor Life
Due to the controversy surrounding Jim Zumbo's recent postings, Outdoor Life has decided to discontinue the "Hunting With Zumbo" blog for the time being. Outdoor Life has always been, and will always be, a steadfast supporter of our Second Amendment rights, which do not make distinctions based on the looks of the firearms we choose to own, shoot and take hunting. Please direct any comments you have to [email protected].

They did the right thing...

I think I just heard a single shot from Zumbo's bedroom...

This response from Hi Mountain Jerky, Inc. today:

2/19/07

Dear fellow 2nd Amendment Supporters,

I am writing to thank all of you for your activism in making us aware of the comments made on Mr. Zumbo’s blog. Hi Mountain Jerky and Seasoning has been a sponsor of his hunting show on the Outdoor Channel, but is in the process of terminating our relationship. We do not support his statements regarding his view of the Second Amendment and would not have supported the show or had his endorsement on our packaging in the past had we known this. We fully stand behind the individual right to keep and bear arms as our Founding Fathers intended. It is truly heartwarming to see the grass roots activism in support of our Second Amendment, please know Hi Mountain Jerky and Seasoning stands behind you.

Thank you,

Hans Hummel

President

Hi Mountain Jerky, Inc.

I wrote back telling him I expect to go broke soon buying stuff from him, Remington, and all of Zumbo's other former sponsors who follow suite.

Anyone have a list, and link, to the sponsors who did the right thing? We all sent the damning emails and we should follow up with a thank you to them and let them know that we will continue our patronage due to their response.

I was surprised to read that DPMS/Panther Arms sponsored Zumbo. Needless to say, I was not surprised to read that the manufacturer of the AR-15 dropped him shortly thereafter. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you! He really Zumbo’d his career away!

Tony, if you follow the AR15.com link you can see all the sponsors who dumped him.

Mossy Oak has stepped forward:

http://www.mossyoak.com/content.asp?id=1460&catID=153

Mossy Oak Responds to Zumbo Blog

Mossy Oak strongly advocates the Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights, which gives us the right to keep and bear arms regardless of type. The Second Amendment is vital to the outdoors lifestyle we all appreciate and enjoy here at Mossy Oak and across the entire outdoor industry.

“It is unfortunate that a long-time hunter and outdoor writer took a personal position that was unsupportive of the Second Amendment which does not differentiate between firearm types.” said Butch English, Executive VP of Sales and Marketing for Mossy Oak. “As a result of comments made by Mr. Jim Zumbo in recent postings on his blog site, Haas Outdoors, Inc. the home of Mossy Oak Brand Camo has ended all sponsorship ties with Mr. Zumbo effective immediately. While we strongly disagree with Mr. Zumbo’s opinion, we respect his constitutional, guaranteed right to speak freely.”

As shooters and hunters, we should all help educate and promote responsible firearm information and safety. It is important for the outdoor industry to focus our attention to educate those opposed to any type of anti-hunting or anti-Second Amendment movement.

-Mossy Oak

It'd be even funnier if the spelling and punctuation weren't so atrocious...

Pity... they make good knives and multitools. Guess I'm not buying any more of them, though.

May I recommend CRKT &/or SOG?

Gerber's steel has always been a bit soft anyway.

Dear fellow 2nd Amendment Supporters,

I am writing to thank all of you for your activism in making us aware of the comments made on Mr. Zumbo’s blog. Hi Mountain Jerky and Seasoning has been a sponsor of his hunting show on the Outdoor Channel, but is in the process of terminating our relationship. We do not support his statements regarding his view of the Second Amendment and would not have supported the show or had his endorsement on our packaging in the past had we known this. We fully stand behind the individual right to keep and bear arms as our Founding Fathers intended. It is truly heartwarming to see the grass roots activism in support of our Second Amendment, please know Hi Mountain Jerky and Seasoning stands behind you.

Thank you,

Hans Hummel

President

Hi Mountain Jerky, Inc.
Hell, I don't even like jerky, and I'm going to buy stuff from these guys!

Money talks, bullshit walks.

Exactly - this is why I got to thinking on my drive home from work tonite that I may go out and buy myself something Remington - and send a letter to the president telling him that the reason why I bought Remington is because of their response to the Zumbo thing.

If Cabela's dumps Zumbo then they may get some business from me too - and I will send them a letter telling them why.

This whole thing might turn out to be a very big plus for us - we should keep the momentum that has been generated by this going as much as possible.

I'm not a member at AR15.com, but I did see a good question over there: "What are the Fudds saying?" I did a quick check, but unless the comments are on a member's only board, there is no mention of the Zumbo stupidity on DU's or Rocky Mountain Elk Fdn's pages.

I'm not a member at AR15.com, but I did see a good question over there: "What are the Fudds saying?" I did a quick check, but unless the comments are on a member's only board, there is no mention of the Zumbo stupidity on DU's or Rocky Mountain Elk Fdn's pages.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in Fuddland. I do not know this for sure - but I bet the Fudds are highly outnumbered by the sport shooters, self defense oriented, military rifle/2nd amendment supporter types in the firearm community. Maybe this is just what they need to get their priorities in order - a good beatdown to show them that they will not be able to sell us out to the wolves just to try and save their own arses.

You might want to define what a "Fudd" is. I'm a hunter (and trapper in my earlier years). We need to stop this "Fudd" shit and work to bring all firearm owners together.

Stop being petty and work together to make sure the terrorist don't derail our 2nd Amendment.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in Fuddland. I do not know this for sure - but I bet the Fudds are highly outnumbered by the sport shooters, self defense oriented, military rifle/2nd amendment supporter types in the firearm community. Maybe this is just what they need to get their priorities in order - a good beatdown to show them that they will not be able to sell us out to the wolves just to try and save their own arses.

Sorry Dude,

Not even close. They are the vast majority of gun owners.

B

You might want to define what a "Fudd" is. I'm a hunter (and trapper in my earlier years). We need to stop this "Fudd" shit and work to bring all firearm owners together.

Stop being petty and work together to make sure the terrorist don't derail our 2nd Amendment.

I am wondering how you think the "terrorists" are going to derail the 2nd? It seems like we have enough people like Zumbo and the whole anti gun crowd doing the "terrorists" job for them. I just wondering what your reasoning is behind this.

Back
Top Bottom