• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

John Lott: New survey finds that people are badly misinformed about how much violent crime involves guns

Reptile

NES Member

When Misinformation Drives Bad Policy​

To President Biden, public health researchers, and the media, violent crime is all about guns. But a new survey finds that people are badly misinformed about how much violent crime involves guns. The average likely American voter is way off, thinking that over 46% of violent crimes involve guns. In fact, the true figure is less than 8%.

Not surprisingly, those who believe that most violent crime involves guns are more likely to view gun control as the solution.

Biden has given four major speeches on violent crime (here, here, here, and here). Each one of them was focused on enforcement of gun control laws. In the four speeches, he mentioned “gun” or “firearm” 179 times. The term “weapon,” sometimes in connection with “assault weapon,” was used another 31 times.

The words “crime,” “violence,” or “violent” were mentioned about half as often – 94 times. He only mentions the words “murder” and “homicide” seven times in these four presentations, and entirely omits them from his two most recent talks.

But this “guns first” approach ignores a basic fact – over 92% of violent crimes in America do not involve firearms. Although Biden blames guns for the increase in violent crime, the latest data show that gun crimes fell dramatically.

Continues...

Guns don’t cause violence. All human beings have the capability to get violent.
Justified or not.

Under reporting a violent crimes is commonplace because no one’s innocent in any situation and even if you are The police are rarely there to help you in a moment or after the fact.

I've never found a single "pro gun control" advocate that is honest.
They flip out when one points out that in ever area in the US with strict gun control, and the resulting near zero % carrying outside the home, violent crime is substantially higher than areas with where criminals don't know who may be armed.
Being pro gun control means being anti-women and pro rapist too. Unarmed women are 10 times more likely to be raped than women armed with a gun or knife. Boston, NYC (and the UK) ban both.

Last edited:
John Lott lost all credibility with me after the Mary Rosh incident, and I'm surprised anyone takes him seriously - on either side.

Gun control and vaccine proponents have similar logic - the fact that bans/vaccinations are not fully effective is an indication we need more.

John Lott lost all credibility with me after the Mary Rosh incident, and I'm surprised anyone takes him seriously - on either side.

Gun control and vaccine proponents have similar logic - the fact that bans/vaccinations are not fully effective is an indication we need more.

Bans are at all effective?

The point is the enemy will claim a failed ban failed only because the dose was too small.
These are the same people who think that communism can work
because pure communism has never been tried.
giphy_s.gif

Instead of worrying about what they say,
start a Go Fund Me to give them helicopter rides.

I listened a bit - it turns out crime isn’t really on the rise and the vibes are just off. Whatever that means.

Their point is that it’s only people’s perception that crime is up, when increases or decreases in crime don’t really impact most people. Crime has gone up but personally no friends or family of mine have been robbed, assaulted, murdered or raped. In 2020, 1.3 million violent crimes were committed - so 4 in 1000 were victimized. Violent crime could double, triple, quintuple, and the overwhelming majority would never find they, friends and family directly touched. So, that part of their argument is true.

They are clearly trying to sell that idea to moderate/conservative Democrats who are part of the new demand for tough on crime elected officials. Such elected officials are anything but Progressives. The "vibe" must be that those people who ARE the statistics of rising crime shouldn’t worry you - it’s not people like you that are the victims.

All one needs to do is review the FBI violent crime website and it becomes readily apparent in 5 seconds that there is little gun violence (long gun violence is teeny tiny) compared to all other forms of violence in our society. That was the eye opener for me years ago. And of course the gun violence number is more than doubled when GC advocates inappropriately add suicides. But even then then the number is tiny - like 36K deaths in a country of 335 million. Meanwhile, there are 250K deaths per year by medical malpractice.

Except for banning Newports and vaping.
Which may kill more than guns, opioids and MV accidents combined yearly… Thank God Thomes’ Bruen decision recognizes exercise of fundamental rights trumps actuarial statistics on risks. The Dems would kill us to keep us safe from ourselves.

Which may kill more than guns, opioids and MV accidents combined yearly… Thank God Thomes’ Bruen decision recognizes exercise of fundamental rights trumps actuarial statistics on risks. The Dems would kill us to keep us safe from ourselves.
(As I commented over in that thread), the constitutional bar must be
braining hard on how they can leverage yesterday's reference to originalism
in other civil rights cases.

Back
Top Bottom