• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

JTAC?

My son was asked the other day to be the platoon JTAC. My understanding is that this is what used to be a Forward Air Controller. Any recent vets have any insight as to whether this is a good thing?

My son was asked the other day to be the platoon JTAC. My understanding is that this is what used to be a Forward Air Controller. Any recent vets have any insight as to whether this is a good thing?
Its basically a FAC you are correct. The JTAC we had assigned to us in Afghanistan certainly earned his pay, and he was able to bring some hell on the bad guys when we needed it. Depending on where he is headed deployment wise, he could be in for some real fun.

i knew someone who was a JTAC. haven't talked to them in some time, but he spoke fondly of his position and was proud of what he did. was awareded a few medals during the time of his service for actions he performed while calling in strikes IIRC.

That's some serious commando stuff. He better be in the shape of his life. Army or chair farce?

Well, there's no such thing as an out of shape active duty marine. He will carry a huge responsibility. A brave young man you raised there. Thank him for his service, and thanks to you and your wife for enduring the hardships of a soldier's parents.

What kind of "platoon" is he in?

Being in a Rifle platoon is different than being in a Weapons platoon, Light Armored Vehicle platoon or a Tank platoon.

JTACs carry the radios and spare batteries (usually they get help with the batteries), so it is one thing if you are humping all that gear or if your gear (LAV / Tank) is humping it for you.

Does he already have a primary MOS? Will JTAC be his primary MOS or just an additional MOS?

Marine Corps

They have gone through a few organizational and name changes in the last decade, but the Air Naval Gunfire Liaison Companies (ANGLICO) are the Marine units which train, equip and deploy those who perform the "FAC" mission. The USMC also assigns pilots to ground units to fulfill the Air Officer and FAC billets.

JTACs are supposed to be "joint" controllers - meaning they can control service wide air assets, but ANGLICO normally deploys to units outside the USMC in order to control naval aircraft and specifically naval gun fire to units requiring type type of support.

They get a lot of good training to support their mission (Airborne, SERE, Ranger, Pathfinder) and usually deploy as a small team remaining fairly independent. They get to go to a lot of places and do some great things.

What kind of "platoon" is he in?

Being in a Rifle platoon is different than being in a Weapons platoon, Light Armored Vehicle platoon or a Tank platoon.

JTACs carry the radios and spare batteries (usually they get help with the batteries), so it is one thing if you are humping all that gear or if your gear (LAV / Tank) is humping it for you.

Does he already have a primary MOS? Will JTAC be his primary MOS or just an additional MOS?

They have gone through a few organizational and name changes in the last decade, but the Air Naval Gunfire Liaison Companies (ANGLICO) are the Marine units which train, equip and deploy those who perform the "FAC" mission. The USMC also assigns pilots to ground units to fulfill the Air Officer and FAC billets.

JTACs are supposed to be "joint" controllers - meaning they can control service wide air assets, but ANGLICO normally deploys to units outside the USMC in order to control naval aircraft and specifically naval gun fire to units requiring type type of support.

They get a lot of good training to support their mission (Airborne, SERE, Ranger, Pathfinder) and usually deploy as a small team remaining fairly independent. They get to go to a lot of places and do some great things.

He's an 0311 in a rifle platoon, so my assumption would be that JTAC would be his secondary. Based on the convo we had Friday, he has to complete an on-line course (which he did this weekend) and an MCI-hard copy only-which will take a couple of weeks. Next class starts Feb 20th, which he was told that he will be attending.

Our platoon commander was our JTAC.

For better or worse didn't get much use. It is certainly an important job and a lot of responsibility. Not sure how the school is for it.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom