July 4 MA Pike traffic?

Woodstock

NES Member
Friends are flying out of Logan to Europe on the evening of the fourth. They'll be driving in from western MA. I'm wondering how the Pike traffic rolls with the big fireworks/music, etc. scheduled for Boston. We've been caught in a couple of the legendary Pike traffic jams before and couldn't even get to an exit. Anybody have any experience with July 4 on I90? Would Route 2 be a better option?

Depends on when they're trying to travel. Early morning should be fine. After that.... Depends on how may dickheads crash their cars.

If it were me, I'd be IN THE AIRPORT, at 11:00 and finding a comfortable chair to take a nap. Theres no way I'd risk missing an international flight due to traffic. Man what poor flight scheduling!

The Esplanade crowd tends to go in long before the fireworks but the pike can be a mess at any time, all it takes is a breakdown or an accident. I'd go in early and have dinner first, that way if there's any delay, which I doubt, they'll miss dinner, not their flight.

Let google navigation be your guide, it's far from perfect but it'll get you into the city by the fastest routes alright. It blows once you're downtown or in the tunnels so keep that in mind. Also don't count on Uber or Lyft once in town, they'll probably be overwhelmed.

Can you tell us what town they're leaving from and when their flight is?

Thanks, all. They're leaving from the Amherst area. Don't know their flight plans, but it's an early evening departure. A relative is driving them all the way, but he's not going, so parking, Uber, etc. isn't an issue. I think I'll suggest the northern route (Rte. 2) and let them decide.

Use the closest or most convenient Logan express location

The drivers know the best ways to get on if there are issue with accidents , congestion or closures

they never considered heading in tonight and staying over? something i would have considered if trying to commute from any distance on a holiday like the forth where there are massive road closures in the city from mid day on.

IMG_6638.PNG View attachment 238891
Thanks, all. They're leaving from the Amherst area. Don't know their flight plans, but it's an early evening departure. A relative is driving them all the way, but he's not going, so parking, Uber, etc. isn't an issue. I think I'll suggest the northern route (Rte. 2) and let them decide.

It's really best to have them do what I just did and let it take them the best way. Give it a buffer in case traffic changes en route. It's the 21st century, let technology guide them.

Last edited:
Use the closest or most convenient Logan express location

The drivers know the best ways to get on if there are issue with accidents , congestion or closures

If there is mega traffic, its going to be everywhere around the city, side streets too. Even the express shuttles can get bogged down in it. Once the roads start getting closed down, the traffic starts filtering out into the city from all points amd becomes a frigging gridlock.

The best solution is to beat the traffic time wise and be in the airport before the traffic starts. Get in there early, have a drink or two, maybe a light meal and a nap pre flight.

If there is mega traffic, its going to be everywhere around the city, side streets too. Even the express shuttles can get bogged down in it. Once the roads start getting closed down, the traffic starts filtering out into the city from all points amd becomes a frigging gridlock.

The best solution is to beat the traffic time wise and be in the airport before the traffic starts. Get in there early, have a drink or two, maybe a light meal and a nap pre flight.

This. Leave in the morning. This gives plenty of buffer room, and so what if you're there 4 hours early. Sit at the bar and have lunch and a drink or three.

Back
Top Bottom