Just bought a house in NH

He should move to NH full time and make the hellish commute like so many of us did (I did this for two years!)
I traded a 8-12 minute one-way commute for a 45-60 minute commute, and it has been entirely worth it.
Those hours on the road are nothing when I got to shoot my "post-ban" AUG/FAL/AK yesterday.

So he should have a po box with auto forwarding to ma?

Just an FYI, a small PO Box annual rental just jumped from $92.00 -> $118.00 at my town's PO. When I first got it in the late 70s it was $6.00/year.

A smaller post office still in my town but 3 miles further from me, the rent is $64/year. [shocked]

I just checked Hudson, NH, and a small PO Box rents there for $176 :eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
Something about storing a bunch of guns and ammo at a second/vacation house has never quite sat well with me, but the only real first hand situations I have for reference are places where the house is off in the woods and the neighbors can't help keep an eye on things.

Update for those interested.
Called a lawyer in NH who is also a firearms enthusiast.
As a resident of mass, owning a second home in NH, to be able to walk in to a gun store and buy anything a NH resident could legally buy I would need:

copy of my current tax bill
Ma ID
Ma LTC
Two utilities from NH reaidence
Filling out and signing an affidavit stating that I would be keeping them at my nh residence and not transporting them to ma

As a resident of mass, owning a second home in NH, to be able to walk in to a gun store and buy anything a NH resident could legally buy I would need:

Ma ID
Ma LTC
Filling out and signing an affidavit stating that I would be keeping them at my nh residence and not transporting them to ma

Find another shop, most don't require that level of BS. PM incoming....

Something about storing a bunch of guns and ammo at a second/vacation house has never quite sat well with me, but the only real first hand situations I have for reference are places where the house is off in the woods and the neighbors can't help keep an eye on things.

I would have done it yesterday if I had a 2nd home. I'd leave about 3 boring guns with me here in mass.

"buy a bigger safe" and alarm the 2nd house.

There's a dude in the yard sale here that practically has a couple that are almost what I would call TL rated.

I would have done it yesterday if I had a 2nd home. I'd leave about 3 boring guns with me here in mass.

"buy a bigger safe" and alarm the 2nd house.

There's a dude in the yard sale here that practically has a couple that are almost what I would call TL rated.

My folks have a place up in Maine where they spend their summers, but for most of the year it's just an empty house with no neighbors nearby. They've had stuff stolen off the back deck, but so far the only person to ever actually break a window to get in has been me. Still, whenever I head up to it before anyone else has really fired it back up for the season I half expect to find it ransacked, or to have a hobo living in it. I've considered sticking a safe in the basement just to stash stuff there but I've never been comfortable enough to do it. I saw those safes, and an alarm would be good but I'm pretty sure there's just one cop responsible for patrolling all of the towns in the area.

Ma ID
Ma LTC

Oh, that's all? Should be no problem since firearms merchants are notorious for knowing the laws!

BTW, please film this. The next time you go into a NH gun store with multiple utility bills and signed affidavits, we all need to see the reaction they give you.

Ma ID
Ma LTC
59wnts.jpg

Love to be a fly on the wall when someone tells him that
plenty of dual MA/NH residents have bought gunz without all that.

Particularly since NH has no requirement for non-residents
to be licensed in the state(s) where they reside.

Ask the lawyer to show you where on the NH non-res P&RL application
a Massachusetts resident fills in their LTC/FID number.

Love to be a fly on the wall when someone tells him that
plenty of NH gun stores won't sell gunz to dual MA/NH residents with all of that.

Oh, that's all? Should be no problem since firearms merchants enthusiasts are notorious for knowing the laws!
FTFY.

Ma ID
Ma LTC
Lol. All that is actually required is

Government issued picture ID to prove you are who you say you are
Government document proving residency (tax bill, utility bill from govt entity, etc)

The rest of your list is pure FUDDery and should cause you to RUN away from whoever is asking for it

Lol. All that is actually required is

Government issued picture ID to prove you are who you say you are
Government document proving residency (tax bill, utility bill from govt entity, etc)

The rest of your list is pure FUDDery and should cause you to RUN away from whoever is asking for it
Yeah, I wouldn't mention Massachusetts, wouldn't even park my car where the license plate is visible.

Just bring in a passport (proof of identity) and tax bill (proof of residence address). See here:

Last edited:

Ma ID
Ma LTC
What's this lawyer's name, I want to know who NOT to use.

You need a gov issued picture ID to establish you are who you say you are, and a gov document establishing residency in NH. The ID does not need to be a NH ID. And while these requirements can be filled by one document, like a DL, they don't have to be. Anything else if BS made up by your lawyer friend or the shop. I know at least one NH shop that follows the rules, and I'm sure there are many others.

NH isn't MA, the shops aren't usually looking for ways to not sell you something.

What's this lawyer's name, I want to know who NOT to use.

You need a gov issued picture ID to establish you are who you say you are, and a gov document establishing residency in NH. The ID does not need to be a NH ID. And while these requirements can be filled by one document, like a DL, they don't have to be. Anything else if BS made up by your lawyer friend or the shop. I know at least one NH shop that follows the rules, and I'm sure there are many others.

NH isn't MA, the shops aren't usually looking for ways to not sell you something.

But....affidavits!

Don't forget water to keep tongue moist for all the bootlicking. It can dehydrate a person really fast

Ma ID
Ma LTC
Good luck with all that!

Since NH is the "granite" state, many residents have no gov't utilities. They have private wells, so no town water bills; electric, oil/LP gas companies are all private companies. So for dual residents, the most you usually get is a RE tax bill from the town, everything else from NH is from private entities and not likely to be acceptable to an FFL.

Thank God I live here....I don't know 3 unrelated people.
Even though we've only been part-time in NH, we know 4 neighboring Families, which is the same as in our MA neighborhood where we have lived for 40+ years. We did know quite a few more families when we first moved into our MA neighborhood, but they all moved away or died over the years (most were original owners from the 1950s).

Not sure if anyone mentioned this as I only read page one....yes, I’m lazy, but here’s the scoop. A friend of mine bought a pieces of land to park his converted bus on it and hang out in the woods of NH. He has no intention of living in or moving to NH. He had the power company put in a pole and ran a few light and other stuff on the bus. He got a bill from the power company and presented that and his land deed to a NH FFL. They said happy shopping. Seems simple enough to me. I know it worked as I was with home last weekend when he bought a new toy. I love NH....all they want is money!

Ma ID
Ma LTC
That lawyer might be a "firearms enthusiast", but still doesn't know squat about federal firearms laws.

Others have explained how to do it easier (use a passport, and never mention MA), but the MA LTC is absolutely meaningless in NH, and to any FFL not located in Mass.

So I have been thinking about this state picture ID thing. [pot]

What if you keep your MA license and get a NH learner's permit and take a road test to get your NH license? Is that possible to do?

What if you keep your MA license and get a NH learner's permit and take a road test to get your NH license? Is that possible to do?
New Hampshire doesn't do learners permits (See RSA 263:25). As in every US state, before you can obtain a NH driver's license (or non-driver ID), you'll need to 1) provide proof of residency and 2) surrender your other state DL (There is an exception for active duty military).

Really, don't over-think the "picture ID" thing, just get a passport card.

Last edited:

You wouldn't be able to renew your MA DL anyway so it's a short term thing.
Their systems exchange data, they are slow and full of mistakes but eventually they will catch up with you, leaving you with some interesting questions to answer.
And to what end? Sure, if you lie on enough forms you can get an ID, but lieing itself is an offence they take seriously. There are very high potential costs, and limited, mostly temporary, benefits. doesn't seem worth it to me.

Back
Top Bottom