• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Just Got Back From a Trip to Salem-NH-HRO With Beginner Shack Stuff

NHCraigT

NES Member
Well, from my post (below) = I've recently finished-up licensing (took the tech test, then decided to take the general test after that, and ended up going for the extra license and getting that, over a period of the recent several months).
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...cense-Classes-this-fall?p=5321615#post5321615

IMHO - I guess that really just means that I figured out how to take the 3 tests and pass each, BUT I really do have so much more to learn...

Anyhow, I took a trip up to Salem, NH HRO on Saturday, and made some purchases to set-up my first shack and also install a dual band radio in 1 vehicle.
I had a budget in mind before I went there, and ended up being within $5.00 of it, without even working towards that aspect, when going through the equipment choices (actually the equipment components were the suggestions of Steve, the store manager there).

This was not a shopping "spree". Instead, a decent amount of time was spent reviewing what may be best for my beginning-needs, but at the same time being able to build + add components = should that be desired later.

This is what I came back with:

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/426/IY3RFy.jpg

IY3RFy.jpg

I still have a ways to go before things are up and running.

As I have a 30's farm house with older wiring, I will need to (want to) get a dedicated circuit and power run to the room the shack will be in. I also have to install 2M antenna on the side of the house that is essentially 3 stories high + peak (35' +). And the install of a G5RV (center-fed dipole) HF set-up that will have its center point tree-mounted.

Last edited:
Congratulations. Looks like you are really on your way.

I also went from zero to extra very quickly and felt all I had was a license to learn. Of course it's ham radio, so the learning never has to end.

Enjoy! Any questions feel free to shoot me a PM. I've been an extra class for 10yrs. I'm old fashioned. Code, voice, linears, older radios, antennas, some tube stuff, boom mic's, old foggy stuff like that. Never hooked a computer to a rig, never used a packet system or digital. I'll help if I can.

AE1Y

Enjoy! Any questions feel free to shoot me a PM. I've been an extra class for 10yrs. I'm old fashioned. Code, voice, linears, older radios, antennas, some tube stuff, boom mic's, old foggy stuff like that. Never hooked a computer to a rig, never used a packet system or digital. I'll help if I can.

AE1Y
Or you could do it here in public and the rest of us could learn stuff[smile]

Well, from my post (below) = I've recently finished-up licensing (took the tech test, then decided to take the general test after that, and ended up going for the extra license and getting that, over a period of the recent several months).
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...cense-Classes-this-fall?p=5321615#post5321615

IMHO - I guess that really just means that I figured out how to take the 3 tests and pass each, BUT I really do have so much more to learn...

Anyhow, I took a trip up to Salem, NH HRO on Saturday, and made some purchases to set-up my first shack and also install a dual band radio in 1 vehicle.
I had a budget in mind before I went there, and ended up being within $5.00 of it, without even working towards that aspect, when going through the equipment choices (actually the equipment components were the suggestions of Steve, the store manager there).

This was not a shopping "spree". Instead, a decent amount of time was spent reviewing what may be best for my beginning-needs, but at the same time being able to build + add components = should that be desired later.

This is what I came back with:

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/426/IY3RFy.jpg

IY3RFy.jpg

I still have a ways to go before things are up and running.

As I have a 30's farm house with older wiring, I will need to (want to) get a dedicated circuit and power run to the room the shack will be in. I also have to install 2M antenna on the side of the house that is essentially 3 stories high + peak (35' +). And the install of a G5RV (center-fed dipole) HF set-up that will have its center point tree-mounted.

CONGRATS! Jealous of your purchases, just a bit. You are now learning that HAM Radio is much like the gun world. It can get very expensive, very quickly! About $2k in that picture? [grin]

Last edited:
Enjoy and get on the air as soon as possible. Get the HF antenna up right away and start using that IC 7300.

AE1Y

TY.

Eventually I'd like to get around to working on CW (practice), but that's a ways down the long list of things that I need to work on and learn about.

Last edited:
Nice choice on the IC-7300. It's the current "hot" mid-range rig.

Yes, its a good unit. The classes that I took Fred K (Nashua Club) had his set up, and you could really see how the unit worked first hand.

Also, everything I've read has been extremely positive about the 7300. In addition, its got a lot of components in it, including an auto antenna tuner (so that eliminates some additional outboard add-on expenses).

I did look at the Yeasu 991 and 991A, but the monitor (control pad monitor & waterfall display) is smaller (although it has the 2m + 70cm bands), but there are more positive feed backs about the 7300 and the slightly bigger display....

CONGRATS! Jealous of your purchases, just a bit. You are now learning that HAM Radio is much like the gun world. It can get very expensive, very quickly! About $2k in that picture? [grin]

Yeah, its an investment alright, but the set-up should be good for my needs, and also be current for a bit of time.

Yeah, its an investment alright, but the set-up should be good for my needs, and also be current for a bit of time.

That's the thing about radios. You can use a 70 year old radio and still get on the air. I figure if any radio can power up, transmit and receive, it is current enough. [grin]

But yeah...I get your point. I've been eyeing the 7300 for awhile, but there is other stuff I want first.

Enjoy and 73!

Blindfire what 70 year old radio are you using?
And as it has been stated the 7300 is a great radio, however what happens in this hobby is you can get radio crazy. Ask these guys on the forum how many radios they have or how many they have sold.

Blindfire what 70 year old radio are you using?
And as it has been stated the 7300 is a great radio, however what happens in this hobby is you can get radio crazy. Ask these guys on the forum how many radios they have or how many they have sold.

Me, I don't have a 70 year old radio...but I met some guys at Boxboro who had rehabbed a couple for AM work.

And JDL is right. I've only been in the hobby for a year.

I've got :

2 Baofeng UV82s
2 TYT TH-UV8000SEs
Kenwood TM-281
Icom IC-7100
LDG AT II PRO tuner
Mirage 2m amp that puts out 160W
2 PowerWerx switching power supplies for 12v DC stuff
Two old analog scanners from Radio Shack
Anderson Power Pole crimper along with a few bags of power pole bits and bobs
An AEA PK-232 Packet Modem for NTS traffic work
Diamond X50 2m antenna split between the Kenwood and the scanners
Diamond X510 2m antenna for the Icom
Homemade 80m OCF dipole
AA-600 RigExpert (measures SWR and other junk)

So yeah...that in just one year. I'm doomed.

Thank god I own guns to protect all this stuff!!! [rofl]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom