Just heard from my son

I wish him the best of luck as he goes through his training and beyond. I don't envy you, waiting and wondering how he'll be doing. You probably won't recognize him when he gets his first leave.
You must be proud, dad.
Best regards.

I wish him the best of luck as he goes through his training and beyond. I don't envy you, waiting and wondering how he'll be doing. You probably won't recognize him when he gets his first leave.
You must be proud, dad.
Best regards.

+1. Is the Corps a family tradition?

It's been many years since I stood on those yellow foot prints on Parris Island. No amount of talking can prepare a young person for the slap of reality when boot camp begins and life as they know it is changed forever.

Congrats. That's where I did my training and about this time of year also. Summer months can be rough with the heat warning down there. He probably won't sleep during the first 48hrs while they lay out the welcome mat. Lol. [grin]

UPDATE-

RCT McCarthy, Brian M.
1st RCTBN, Co. D, PLT 1065
P.O. Box 16155
Parris Island, SC 20995-6155

There is actually a Facebook page where the mothers have arranged a Depart/Graduation line. The mothers attending graduations try to photo recruits in training. Each week a new batch of mothers goes to PI for graduation, and a new batch of recruit pictures show up. I've already seen what I think is Brian during PT, this was yesterday. I got his first form letter today. 4 letters went out in the mail for him. Amazing what a bunch of women can organize when they want something bad enough.

There is actually a Facebook page where the mothers have arranged a Depart/Graduation line. The mothers attending graduations try to photo recruits in training. Each week a new batch of mothers goes to PI for graduation, and a new batch of recruit pictures show up. I've already seen what I think is Brian during PT, this was yesterday. I got his first form letter today. 4 letters went out in the mail for him. Amazing what a bunch of women can organize when they want something bad enough.

Careful, though; moms sometimes see what they want to see. The LA Times ran a close-up of a soldier offloading some gear from a truck during my Albania (later Kosovo) deployment in 1999. To this day, my mom swears it's a picture of me. She sent it out to all her friends at the time, and still has it stuck to her fridge. I'll admit it looks a little like me... except that it's of a PFC, and I was a 1LT.

Moms have a hard time with pictures of large groups of bald young men, especially when they want one of the men to be their little boy.

With that said, rock on. Tell your son to keep his chin up and persevere; millions of men have made it through this over the years, and he can make it too.

It's been many years since I stood on those yellow foot prints on Parris Island. No amount of talking can prepare a young person for the slap of reality when boot camp begins and life as they know it is changed forever.

Good job Dad! Your boy must have been paying attention.

Nothing like Parris Island in the summer time.
I stepped on those yellow foot prints on the 4th of July many years ago.
Some wise ass Sgt tossed a pack of firecrackers in our midst.
Said there's your fireworks!
1st impression of the place was that South Carolina heat ran up my legs. The boys started sweating and they stayed that way till I graduated!

Best of luck to your son! One of the proudest moments I have had as a Father was watching my son graduate from boot camp at Parris Island.

Semper Fidelis!

My son was there last year at this time - Bravo, 1060. Graduation was an unforgettable experience for our family. We have a neighbor there now - Fox Co., 2Bn. He graduates the first week of August. We were talking with his Mom the other day about going down. My wife and I got goosebumps recalling our trip. Truly a place every red-blooded American should visit. Best of luck to your boy. Semper Fi!

Back
Top Bottom