Just moved back to MA, sharing some helpful info for Vets.

ja1024

NES Member
So as you can read just moved back here, did a 5 year stint in the Marines and spent some time in VA afterwards. First off, wow has this state gotten way worse. What the hell, wasnt it bad enough? I recently learned of a program offered here called "The Welcome Home Bonus", it is geared towards veterans who enlisted from MA after 9/11. This bonus is a tax free check cut to you from the state of MA for honorable service, mine was in the amount of 1500, not sure if that varies. From my understanding the only qualification needed are that you enlisted out of MA, finished your service honorably and had deployed while in. I haven't confirmed the last requirement yet as I deployed for OIR and OPE, but I have heard of those who haven't deployed not getting it. Not sure how valid those claims are, regardless just go to your local town/city hall and inquire about the "Welcome Home Bonus", and they should be able to direct you on how to fill it out. Figured I would share this as its not common knowledge , and considering if your experience was anything like mine MA bent you over for taxes while you were in so here is a chance to get some of it back. Ill drop a link here at the bottom. Also if anyone here is a blacksmith or knife maker and woudlnt mind showing me the ropes I would greatly appreciate it. I was involved in a Vet run program for knife making in VA and loved it, looking to try to get back into something like that.

Last remark, God Bless those poor bastards here who are paying 1500 for stripped Olympic lowers, what a sad state of affairs this state has become.

*LINK*

Massachusetts has several bonuses honoring veterans for a variety of different service criteria. You can start here.
Every town in Massachusetts is required to have a veterans service officer helping veterans with any needs they have (some share with neighboring towns). They are all supposed to be trained and certified and should be able to help, if you have trouble drop me a pm and I will steer you where you need to go.

Good info and isn't well known. Several states have similiar bonuses that they don't advertise either.

I got 1K out of Mass back in 2005ish. A couple hoops to jump through, but not bad and the generosity was appreciated.

I saw the writing on the wall and decided not to move back to Mass when i got done playing Army.

Back
Top Bottom