Just moved back

So I just moved back to mass after being in the military. I just applied for my LTC. I do have a AK-47 i brought back with me (and yes its mass legal). What I am wondering is do I have to register my gun here? or is it covered because it was bought when I lived in another state.

My understanding is that it's covered if you brought it with you when you moved.

FA-10s apply only to certain transfers and sales.

Nope, just make sure you apply for your permit within a certain period but you already did that so youve done all you need to, FA10 only applies when you dont bring the gun in right away. I would suggest trading that in for an AR though [wink]

If you:

1. Were a legal resident of another State, and moved (back) to MA; or
2. Remained a legal resident of MA, but were absent from MA a minimum of 180 consecutive days; or
3. Remained a legal resident of MA, and were just released from active service;

AND assuming you brought the firearm with you at the time you moved/returned, then no FA-10 is required.

The above also applies to the 60 day licensing grace period.

MGL 140-129C said:
(j) Any new resident moving into the commonwealth, any resident of the commonwealth returning after having been absent from the commonwealth for not less than 180 consecutive days or any resident of the commonwealth upon being released from active service with any of the armed services of the United States with respect to any firearm, rifle or shotgun and any ammunition therefor then in his possession, for 60 days after such release, return or entry into the commonwealth;

http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section129C

Back
Top Bottom