Just ordered 10-8 Performance rear sight for SR1911

On the advice of M1911 and a few others, I've ordered this Low Mount Rear Sight to replace the standard Novak's 3-dot on my Ruger SR1911. Goals are to a) easier visual acquisition of front sight and b) ability to rack slide on holster with one hand.

http://www.10-8performance.com/products/1911-Low-Mount-Rear-Sight.html

Current (stock) rear sight appears to be .375" tall with notch width of .125", so this is what I ordered.

Replacing this dovetailed sight doesn't look like rocket science, but it's my first time so any advice / guidance is appreciated. Wouldn't want to foul up what is currently a very accurate shooter!

What exactly is the advantage of racking the slide on the holster?? Just curious.

Let me know how you like the sights. I love the Novak's that are on mine. I would need a really good reason to change them out.

Most shops will have a sight tool to swap them out.

Thanks, Andy. Would you not recommend I do it myself? Seems a simple dovetail and a screw...

What exactly is the advantage of racking the slide on the holster?? Just curious.

Let me know how you like the sights. I love the Novak's that are on mine. I would need a really good reason to change them out.
If you don't have use of your weak hand for any reason, you want to be able to rack the slide on your holster. The ramp of the standard Novak's sight, combined with the heavy Ruger springs, makes this pretty much impossible. The 10-8 sight is notched in a way that should make this possible.

I put this sight on my S&W E-series and was able to do it with a Derlin Punch and a brass gunsmiths hammer in about 5minutes. 10-8 makes good stuff.

If you don't have use of your weak hand for any reason, you want to be able to rack the slide on your holster. The ramp of the standard Novak's sight, combined with the heavy Ruger springs, makes this pretty much impossible. The 10-8 sight is notched in a way that should make this possible.

I guess that one was obvious. [laugh]

I borrowed the sight pusher from my dealer, and did it myself. The front, I had to use a punch and hammer.
I'm sure this will all become self-evident when I try to do it myself, but why doesn't the rear sight just slide back and forth (and out) when you loosen the screw? Is the fit too tight for that, requiring it to be "punched" out?

I have gunsmiths install dovetail sights. I don't have a sight pusher and don't want to beat on the sights with a hammer and punch.

I have gunsmiths install dovetail sights. I don't have a sight pusher and don't want to beat on the sights with a hammer and punch.
Thanks, sounds like a plan! I'll take it along when I have Sergey (of Rustbluing) put the new bolt carrier in my M1C. (Hopefully soon!!)

It just arrived, btw... here's a pic!

IMG00274-20120507-1403.jpg

Hmmm... a little concerning... Looks like the new sight is a fraction taller than the old one. What's the usual protocol?

ETA: Just talked to Ruger tech support... the actual height is .3455" what the heck is up with that?!

So, now I see my options as...
1) return this new sight
2) keep the sight and have the gunsmith machine it so it shoots straight with a proper sight picture
3) keep the sight and adjust my sight picture to shoot straight (I do NOT want to do this... seems it would be a recipe for failure in a high-adrenaline situation)

grrrr....

IMG00275-20120507-1431.jpg

Last edited:
That looks enough higher that I would not want a gunsmith to kill it off. One alternative is to get a matching front sight from 10-8. Another alternative is to send it back and have your gunsmith source the correct parts.

That looks enough higher that I would not want a gunsmith to kill it off. One alternative is to get a matching front sight from 10-8. Another alternative is to send it back and have your gunsmith source the correct parts.
Email sent to 10-8 Performance inquiring about their return process. [frown]

Lesson learned to get/use a more precise measuring device and/or call the manufacturer to confirm actual sizing before ordering in the future!!

Had thought that the Novak's sights were kind of standardized sizes...

Unfortunately, there are lots of standards and you can order front sights with different heights. Furthermore, there are several different 1911 sight cut dovetails. I don't try to figure all of that out. I tell my gunsmith what sights I want and let him figure it out. If he orders the wrong ones, it is his problem to solve.

Last edited:
looks like 10-8 only offers a .375 or .325

If it were my pistol and I didn't want to change the front sight, I would have the slide machined to accept the .375 sight at the proper height.

If your open to a front sight swap, look at the dawson precision fiber optic sights. They are available in many heights to match your needs.

looks like 10-8 only offers a .375 or .325

If it were my pistol and I didn't want to change the front sight, I would have the slide machined to accept the .375 sight at the proper height.

If your open to a front sight swap, look at the dawson precision fiber optic sights. They are available in many heights to match your needs.
Funny, that's essentially the same thing the 10-8 guy said. Will have to mull it over. Goes from being a $50 upgrade to something more like $150 - $200, depending on gunsmith charges...

Back
Top Bottom