• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Just started competing - any tips? pistol suggestions? gear advice?

So, as the title states, just got into competing. Nothing crazy though. Figured I'd start nice 'n' easy and joined the 22LR Pistol Bullseye B Team that's at the range I just joined. I try to shoot a couple hundred rounds a week but was wondering if there were any other helpful tips besides obviously shooting as much as you can to practice ('cause I'd never shot one-handed before and boy was that a little different haha).

I bought a cheap target pistol - Ruger 22/45 Mark III with a 5.5" barrel. Ordered a couple extra mags 'cause some people at the range said it makes things easier between stages. Also ordered a Volquartsen trigger kit. Will eventually change out the sights for better ones. Probably will leave optics alone until I get better and then maybe get a mid-range red dot or something. And also get an extended mag release. Was also thinking about investing in a compensator, but didn't know if it was worth the money starting out. Same with grips and extended bolt.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Good for you. Competing is great fun and a good way to get better with your pistol. There are lots of different shoots at different clubs. Where are you located?

Dry fire helps a lot but you don't want to drop the hammer on a empty .22 because it is a rimfire. Get with someone who can help you with the proper grip, stance, and trigger pull. the basics make the most difference.

Good luck.

Bullseye is all about mind and trigger control, the slightest movement while SQUEEZING the trigger will throw a shot out of the black. Always, always, always concentrate on that squeeze, think of nothing else... For starters aside from that work on just keeping your shots in the black, once you can do that then work on tightening up your groups......

Lastly do yourself a favor and get a red dot sight, you will not be sorry and it will boost your confidence and do wonders to identify trigger control issues.

Remember all you have to do is center the dot and squeeze....

I have a Ruger Mark II with the Volquartsen 'accurizing' kit and extended slide release. I added the compensator and did not notice any difference other than added weight at the end. But... it does look cool, so it's staying on heh.

-chris

When I competed I had a S&W model 41. That was a nice gun. I did put a red dot on it after my first season. My average jumped huge. Lots of guys had Rugers. These were nice but heavy. At least heavier than mine and most if not all were better shooters than me. You can get a custom grip for it. Those are nice and help to control the weight. You might want a box and a scope so you can check on your slow fire. You do have ten minutes for that. Most guys would check after every shot on the slow and they did real well. Me...not so much...lol

As others have mentioned it is good fun and you do become intimately familiar with that firearm.

Having said all that don't over think it. We had one guy who competed with a 10 round revolver. lmao. That was great to see. Every team we faced someone always came to talk with him about it. And yes, he kept up on the time and rapid fire rounds too.

Use your gun for a while and see what others are using. If you want to upgrade see if someone will let you try theirs in a match. We did that all the time. One guy didn't even have an LTC. So he joined the team and shared a gun with another member.

We had a lot of fun back then....

MarkIII is a great gun for bullseye and really helps keep the cost down. The Volquartsen kit will help a lot.
A compensator on a .22LR does nothing but add weight to the front of the pistol. That money would be better spent on an Ultradot.
Relax and have fun. [smile]

Try and have fun, do your best and don't worry or care how everyone else is doing. Good scores will come. I shot GBPL for a number of years and it took a few matches to get a score that counted. I had great team mates who didnt put pressure on me. You can take out of it what you put in and continue to do what you already do now....practice. Also, for some guys this can become an equipment race. Learn to shoot what you have, later you can upgrade. Good luck, have fun.

What would you guys recommend for a red-dot sight?

Ultradot. On sale at Natchez for $150: http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=UZULDT0000S&src=sim

It costs more than some of the other options, but you get what you pay for. I've seen people go cheaper to save money and end up going to an Ultradot. I've only ever had to touch the zero when I take the gun apart or change ammo. They have some higher models that add a bigger tube and/or adjustable dot size, but you don't really need them.

Make sure you loctite everything when you mount it.

I agree with the ultradot I have dropped mine, bumped it had the box fall over on it and it has always maintained its zero. For the price I don't think there is anything that beats it..make sure you have good mounts and Loctite all the screws so they don't loosen up. the recoil may seem light on a 22 with SV loads but you would be surprised how easy things can move...

Take a look at the material on this website. <http://www.bullseyepistol.com/index.htm> It discusses technique, mindset, training techniques, etc.

Once you have the basics, you then need to develop a system to shoot each stage that works for you.

1+ on the red dot

OK, so the ultradot arrived yesterday and it looks good. I haven't put it on the MKIII yet but I had a question, since the scope will make the gun too big for the original case, does anybody know of a gun case that would fit it? I know i could just go down to bass pro and look around but I was hoping to hear from some guys that have the same set-up.

So I attached the red dot to the gun and it works. Of course I left the allen wrench at home when I went to the range and after 20sih shots it had loosened so I could feel a little wiggle in the scope rings. I still could keep it in the black at 25 yards so that was good.

on thing i haven't seen and falls into the tip category....

find yourself a small 2-3lb dumbbell and keep it next to where ever you sit and watch tv.... while watching tv, hold said weight out at arms length 10-30s at a time (or until it hurts, burns, etc) even and over again.
ye you'll look strange doing it, esp if ya got family or company there, but just pass it off as a new exercise craze =P

building up those shoulder muscles can help steady your arm and sights in return

Loctite will keep your scope in place. A little "Blue" on the treads will keep it, well... lock tight!

So I attached the red dot to the gun and it works. Of course I left the allen wrench at home when I went to the range and after 20sih shots it had loosened so I could feel a little wiggle in the scope rings. I still could keep it in the black at 25 yards so that was good.

Back
Top Bottom