• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

just when i was getting used to no primers, now no powder...

That is interesting, didn't expect to hear powder availability was worsening (I'm well stocked now). I only joined the reloading ranks late last year, and outside of Dillon dies, have been fortunate to get everything I've looked for without too much trouble.
Its not surprising to me. More of the great unwashed are discovering reloading.

After ammo supply loosens up again, some will stop, having realized that reloading quickly becomes a hobby in and of itself. But for now, every day brings more reloader into the fold.

I have a crapy little place out of state. It works for me. Its also where I store my primers. At one point I realized that my primer stash was the most valuable thing in that place. ha. If you have an average primer cost of $25/thousand, not unreasonable if you were a savvy shopper. A $500 stockpile become $6000!!!!

Powder is very easy to get. It’s just primers that are extremely difficult. I haven’t seen any vendors post some in well over a month.
The primers seem to come in little spurts, engendering false hope that things are getting better, when in fact they apparently are not. I'm sure that today is closer than yesterday to the day when they will get better, but the in-stock alerts are fewer and farther between than a month ago. But maybe just over the next hill... As for powder, I think I understand your meaning of "very easy". I'm not sure I'd use those exact words for the status quo.

As for powder, I think I understand your meaning of "very easy". I'm not sure I'd use those exact words for the status quo.
I mean it definitely helps to use that reloading server/app to be notified but vendors seem to be posting powder regularly.

Powder is very easy to get. It’s just primers that are extremely difficult. I haven’t seen any vendors post some in well over a month.
Have the prices and variety been good or at least acceptable? I haven't checked in a few months and everything I wanted was gone, so I've largely given up.

Have the prices and variety been good or at least acceptable? I haven't checked in a few months and everything I wanted was gone, so I've largely given up.
Ya the prices haven't really changed too much. They've gone up a little bit but not like primer prices.
Obviously popular powders like Varget can be hard to get unless you get notified and act extremely fast to buy it. Alliant isn't super plentiful but a couple vendors had bullseye, unique, 2400, sport pistol the other week.

What Andrew said, but online vendors are limiting amounts, so the best you can typically come away with is an 8#er. Then add ~$40 for ship/hazmat.

What Andrew said, but online vendors are limiting amounts, so the best you can typically come away with is an 8#er. Then add ~$40 for ship/hazmat.
But if you can get 15,000 rounds out of an 8# jug, the extra costs per round/box/hundred is negligible. (.24 cents per round, 12 cents per box or 24 cents per hundred)

But if you can get 15,000 rounds out of an 8# jug, the extra costs per round/box/hundred is negligible. (.24 cents per round, 12 cents per box or 24 cents per hundred)
Agreed. I don't get too hung up on pistol powder prices for the most part. Though I'm not paying $40-$50 per pound for pistol powders like some dealers are charging lol. I paid $32 with tax for H110 from Glenns in North Reading which was the most I had ever spent on H110 but previously I spent $22 or $23 per pound so the extra $10 was meaningless. I guess you could argue the same at $40 or $50 per pound but I just won't do it out of principal.

Not complaining, just mentioning.... Money's not the issue, just the fact that you can't spread the hazmat. Before covid I would always try to get a min of 2 8#s, maybe even 4 or more if a friend wanted to go in. That will come back some day. You pistol guys already get a million rounds out of a 1#'er, us rifle guys go through it a lot quicker. I have 3lbs of bullseye at home, which is essentially a lifetime supply based on how often I shoot and load for a pistol.

Not complaining, just mentioning.... Money's not the issue, just the fact that you can't spread the hazmat. Before covid I would always try to get a min of 2 8#s, maybe even 4 or more if a friend wanted to go in. That will come back some day. You pistol guys already get a million rounds out of a 1#'er, us rifle guys go through it a lot quicker. I have 3lbs of bullseye at home, which is essentially a lifetime supply based on how often I shoot and load for a pistol.
I have an 8 pounder of IMR-4064 with a $170 price tag from Shooters Outpost. I think I bought that in 2015ish? Still have a few 1 pounders to burn though. That 11 pounds will certainly last my lifetime at the rate I shoot my 30 cal rifles [laugh] . Part of the problem is that I had a ton of factory ammo to burn through first.

Agreed. I don't get too hung up on pistol powder prices for the most part. Though I'm not paying $40-$50 per pound for pistol powders like some dealers are charging lol. I paid $32 with tax for H110 from Glenns in North Reading which was the most I had ever spent on H110 but previously I spent $22 or $23 per pound so the extra $10 was meaningless. I guess you could argue the same at $40 or $50 per pound but I just won't do it out of principal.
I can only shoot a few rounds of most of the stuff I use H110 for before I start to push or flinch. Ha. So my H110 stash will last a long time.

Actually the last time I made .460 Mag or .454, I made several years worth in one evening. Ha.

My super black hawk in .454 is particularly tough on me. That gun is ridiculously light for caliber.

Back
Top Bottom