• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Justice Kennedy to Retire this Summer, according to Republican Senator (NYDailyNews article)

Great to hear but if I recall we was not a solid liberal.

We need the old bat to go.

If Kennedy goes in the Summer, where does that leave Pro Gun cases on the 2A?

4-4 or 3-5?

Does this mean that 2A cases should not proceed until we get 2 more pro gun justices on the court?

4-4 or 3-5?

Does this mean that 2A cases should not proceed until we get 2 more pro gun justices on the court?

She and Hillary must be running out of virgin sacrifices to keep themselves alive, by now. Do you know nothing of witchcraft?!

The old bat will likely go over the summer too.

This seems like idle speculation to motivate the Republican voter base. What do we have aside from Dean Heller saying so? And on the other hand:

"Last June, multiple reports said Kennedy was considering announcing his retirement. But the 80-year-old justice seemingly quashed those rumors in January when he hired four law clerks for the October term."

Source: GOP senator: Justice Kennedy is going to retire this summer

If Kennedy does retire, Thomas Hardiman is likely on deck for the nomination. When Ginsberg finally gets her ticket to the underworld I think Trump is likely to replace her with another woman.

In another thread, I forget which one, someone said that one of the justices did not engage any law clerks for the next term and that is a tell that they will be retiring. Who it might be wasn't mentioned but if that report is true, then this may have some credibility.

Kennedy is a solid swing vote. When he votes with the Liberals, the media calls him a moderate. When he votes with the conservatives, he is an arch conservative.
Replacing him with a solid conservative will move the court further right. If RBG goes, that will move things even more to the right.

I don't know that Hardiman will be the next man up. There is some chance that Ted Cruz could get the nod.

Of course, Senator whispering to the Daily News means nothing. The only real hint is that Kennedy has only hired one clerk for the current session, and as I recall, that's a part time position. If he planned to stay beyond June, he'd likely have hired the normal complement of clerks.

Based on his pick of Gorsuch, I expect another quality pick from POTUS.

4-4 or 3-5?

Provided she lives until there's another Democrat in the WH.

She'll never leave while Republicans have any sort of power to name her replacement. Next Dem in the White House, she'll retire and be replaced by a 38 year old Marxist.

4-4 or 3-5?

Kennedy is the reason the SC won’t take 2A cases cause neither side is sure which way he’ll vote. Would rather lose a solid leftist but if we can replace him with a Scalia it’s ok.

Kennedy is the reason the SC won’t take 2A cases cause neither side is sure which way he’ll vote. Would rather lose a solid leftist but if we can replace him with a Scalia it’s ok.
This was why I was excited to hear this speculation the same day the NRA sued Florida.

I smell a weekend at Ruthie's franchise reboot on the way. [laugh][laugh][laugh]
With any luck we get at least one nominee through before the fall shit show. If RBG shuffles off the mortal coil, I'll start breathing easier and I can cut down the morning Metamucil.

If RBG shuffles off the mortal coil, I'll start breathing easier and I can cut down the morning Metamucil.

I feel bad for her that she and her family won't get to enjoy a proper retirement. Except that she could have retired in Obama's first term and instead with hubris wanted to swear in the first woman President, so f*** her and the Democrats.

I feel bad for her that she and her family won't get to enjoy a proper retirement. Except that she could have retired in Obama's first term and instead with hubris wanted to swear in the first woman President, so f*** her and the Democrats.

That poor strategy astounds me. She was too confident to retire during Obama's first term, then doubled down on liberal pride by staying his second term. Nobody reminded her that only once since 1950 has one party has held the White House for three consecutive terms: GHW Bush following Reagan.

Back
Top Bottom