k98 duffle cut

Shevchenko

NES Member
Does anyone know of a place they can suggest that can do a duffle cut repair on my steyr k98? I wanted to add the removed band spring but in order to get it to fit I had to remove one of the screws so basically the front piece of the guard is only attached by the cleaning rod and prayers.
I watched a like 3 hour vide on how to "fix" the duffle cut but I don't have the dexterity, tools or patience to pull it off. Hoping there are some experts on wood stock repair someone could point me to for the job (if one exists)

here's some pics referencing what I'm rambling about.

View: https://imgur.com/a/f48Ea9s

Last edited:
Leave it as is. Shoot it without the parts. Store and display as it was brought home. A repair only dilutes the history. That’s my thought anyway.

Rustblue - natick mass
Noahs motors - sagus mass

We used to use local furniture repair guy. Would drop it off end of summer and we would get a call the following spring.

I was tempted to order one of these for my mauser

Last edited:
If It's an all matching rifle, then don't repair part of the rifles history.

Leave it as is. Shoot it without the parts. Store and display as it was brought home. A repair only dilutes the history. That’s my thought anyway.

+1. The duffle cut makes the gun more historically interesting. With the cut present, you know how the gun got into the US. Neat piece of history and I think in some situations that the cuts add value.

Keep the cut intact and get an imported Russian capture if you want a shooter-grade gun.

+1. The duffle cut makes the gun more historically interesting. With the cut present, you know how the gun got into the US. Neat piece of history and I think in some situations that the cuts add value.

Keep the cut intact and get an imported Russian capture if you want a shooter-grade gun.

Well said. Preserve the history. No need to help Bubba

These are all great points. It's almost entirely matching, I'll just put the screw back where she was and keep'r as is. Thanks for the insight guys, it's missing some aesthetically pleasing pieces but it's still a beaut.

I would repair the cut similar to the way I repaired the broken stock on my Gew98. But! if you don't want to repair the cut you can always modify the spring so that it will fit and look proper by altering the tab that slides under the barrel band.

Upsettingly enough, I think I shoot the K98 too much so the screw hole on the duffle cut (the on on the 'front' part) has worked itself loose, I really don't want to buy new furniture for it but it's the only gun I'm enjoying shooting. Right now all that is holding the front part of the duffel cut together is a loose-fitting band spring. Any suggestions other than retire it? It's a real piece of history being matching serials so I'd hate to destroy it.

Retiring it and mounting it would be an option but given my... (resolved) legal woes...i'm hesitant to put a weapon on the wall haha

Upsettingly enough, I think I shoot the K98 too much so the screw hole on the duffle cut (the on on the 'front' part) has worked itself loose, I really don't want to buy new furniture for it but it's the only gun I'm enjoying shooting. Right now all that is holding the front part of the duffel cut together is a loose-fitting band spring. Any suggestions other than retire it? It's a real piece of history being matching serials so I'd hate to destroy it.

Retiring it and mounting it would be an option but given my... (resolved) legal woes...i'm hesitant to put a weapon on the wall haha

8x57 is simply not economical to shoot*, especially if you don't handload. You're better off in the long run getting something in a more inexpensive cartridge that has much less recoil. Trust me, I'm sure you can find something similarly fun to shoot. 5.56x45, 12-gauge, 7.62x39, 5.45x39, 9x19, probably even .30 Carbine.

If you like the Mauser bolt gun experience, look into getting a 9x23 Largo Spanish carbine and handload 9x23. Much cheaper to shoot with handloads and far less recoil.

I used to shoot a lot of 7.62x54r when surplus was everywhere and inexpensive. Then surplus dried up and I found myself plateauing in terms of what I was learning. Find something you enjoy and that'll let you grow and learn more as a shooter. Then let the K98k spend most of its time as a safe queen.

*Surplus ammo is inexpensive. However, there's a fixed supply of surplus ammo, and a lot of it is corrosive. Corrosive ammo isn't fun to deal with regularly. Eventually, batches of surplus will run out, and then you're looking at $1-3 p/round modern factory ammo for 8x57. That's a lot of opportunity cost being spent, $1 per round. That's an inexpensive meal for one to two people for one box of ammo.

Last edited by a moderator:
8x57 is simply not economical to shoot*, especially if you don't handload. You're better off in the long run getting something in a more inexpensive cartridge that has much less recoil. Trust me, I'm sure you can find something similarly fun to shoot. 5.56x45, 12-gauge, 7.62x39, 5.45x39, 9x19, probably even .30 Carbine.

If you like the Mauser bolt gun experience, look into getting a 9x23 Largo Spanish carbine and handload 9x23. Much cheaper to shoot with handloads and far less recoil.

I used to shoot a lot of 7.62x54r when surplus was everywhere and inexpensive. Then surplus dried up and I found myself plateauing in terms of what I was learning. Find something you enjoy and that'll let you grow and learn more as a shooter. Then let the K98k spend most of its time as a safe queen.

*Surplus ammo is inexpensive. However, there's a fixed supply of surplus ammo, and a lot of it is corrosive. Corrosive ammo isn't fun to deal with regularly. Eventually, batches of surplus will run out, and then you're looking at $1-3 p/round modern factory ammo for 8x57. That's a lot of opportunity cost being spent, $1 per round. That's an inexpensive meal for one to two people for one box of ammo.
I'm looking at an m1 carbine this week!

Back
Top Bottom