• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Kahr PM9 or CM9

I have the opportunity to purchase a Kahr PM9 new for $650 (Mass version) or a CM9 for $480 ( no manual safety, LCI etc).

Which do you chose and why?

I would personally get the CM9. The main difference is a match grade barrel in the PM9, which inmo is not necessary at all for a compact defensive carry gun as you will never be using it for it's intended purpose at the range where a match grade barrel would be advantageous so why pay the premium for that. Also, the safety on that gun is very awkward so I would opt for a non-MA version if going for either one. I'm a big advocate for using a safety if a gun has one (but would prefer it not to) so that you don't ever get into a situation where your gun doesn't fire because the safety was accidentally engaged but you were used to not using it. I use the safety on my SR9c for just this reason, but it is in a natural position so it is easy to sweep off on the draw similar to a 1911. Use the extra money for ammo, holster, etc.

I'd get the CM9 in a heartbeat simply because the Mass compliant CM has a tiny crappy safety. The CM9 is configured the way Justin Moon and God intended Kahrs to be configured: with a long smooth trigger pull and no safety.

No if the PM9 was the standard version with a black slide, I'd say go for the PM just because it looks sexier.

Seriously though. That gun should not have a safety.

Thanks for the input.

Yes, have heard great things about the enhanced trigger in the mass version, but doesn't that shorter take-up almost necessitate the use of the safety? Do not want to use a safety...

A safety is completely un-necessary. Remember, a good carry holster specifically designed for that gun will completely cover the trigger. Then it comes down to trigger finger discipline.

The problem is with the implementation of the safety on the PM9. Good safeties are big and sturdy with positive engagement, like the ones on a 1911. These little vestigal chicklets that companies like Ruger are sticking on their guns are just crap. They are asking for trouble.

I'm not denying that the trigger on the MA compliant gun is nice. If it was a race gun, i'd say get the MA compliant one with the safety. But its a defensive gun. You want simple, reliable and consistent.

You want the gun to react the same every time. You, in effect, want a single stack, skinny, 9mm Glock. Which, until Glock makes one, the standard, non-safety P9, PM9, CW9 and CM9 are the next best thing.

By the way, will you be pocket carrying? If you aren't going to be pocket carrying, you are probably better off with the P9/CW9 vs the smaller PM/CM

Don

Last edited:
I really like my PM9 but need to adjust my crossbreed tuck. (off topic comment here) - I usually carry at 5 o'clock position and after sitting for a while, the kydex depresses the mag release just enough to bring it out of battery. If I ever needed to quick draw, it would be very cumbersome to have to fiddle with the safety AND the mag. Need to call crossbreed or loosen up the kydex.

I've got the CM9 and have no complaints. I only paid a little over $400 out the door including an extra mag so it's an incredible deal at that price. I haven't shot the new enhanced trigger on the PM9. I'd really like to see how much of a difference there is between the two.

I bought a new free state pm9 last week. Great pocket carry and I prefer the non mass no safety version. Figured it was a rare opportunity so I grabbed it. But like has already been said, the main benefits of a pm over the cm won't be realized in a 3.1" barrel pocket gun. Save the money and buy the cm9 if you can. For me there wasn't any cm's around and the pm9 was.

When did they 'enhance' the trigger on the PM9?

It was a couple of years ago. I was told by a Kahr manufacturers rep that it was designed to get them into states that require manual safeties, and while they were at it they addressed the main complaints of their normal triggers. Which were typically its length of pull and long reset.

So its really a marketing spin on adding a safety. Which is much too small for dependable use IMHO.

Its a much better sell. Which would you rather have "Our new Kahr with a pain in the ass tiny safety" or "Our new Kahr with the enhanced trigger".

It doesn't matter whether its a P,PM,CW, or CM - get the one without a safety.

I'd pay the extra and get a free state PM-9. No worries about the safety being in the way and you have the option to put in night sights/ adjust your front sight.

Nobody makes a night sight for the CWs?

If you want them, that certainly is a factor. But consider this, for less than the cost difference between the CM and a Free state PM, you could buy a crimson trace laser for your CM.

One thing also. If you are a NRA pistol instructor or a state hunter safety instructor, you can buy a PM9 or P9, even with a black slide for $410. Just a FYI. Thats about $100 less than dealer cost.

PM9 considering it is the MA version with the enhanced trigger.
You will not be disappointed.

Just confirmed you can get night sights for the CW/CM:

http://www.kahr.com/Sights/Kahr-CWCM-Trijicon-Night-Sights.asp

I guess it comes down to this. I think those on all sides will agree with this.

1) PM9 with enhanced trigger and safety
- Better trigger
- crappy safety
- readily available
- no MA premium but still expensive

2) CW/CM9
-least expensive way to get into a Kahr that doesn't have the terrible external safety
- no black slide available if you want that
- will pay a ma premium
- traditional Kahr trigger

3) Free state P/PM9
- Most expensive option
- nicest gun if you prefer a gun without a safety
- traditional Kahr trigger
- black slide if you want it

kahr

I have the opportunity to purchase a Kahr PM9 new for $650 (Mass version) or a CM9 for $480 ( no manual safety, LCI etc).

Which do you chose and why?

i would go with the all steel models; i have an older k40 two tone. you sometimes can find older steel models at a good price;paid $500 for mine

I don't have a PM9, but I do have the very similar P9 Covert and absolutely love it. The gun is a tack hammer and a job to carry.

I have a free state PM9 and to be honest, I'd buy a CM9 in your situation. I just don't think the PM9 is worth the premium for a gun whose main purpose is to not be seen.

I have a free state PM9 and to be honest, I'd buy a CM9 in your situation. I just don't think the PM9 is worth the premium for a gun whose main purpose is to not be seen.

I agree. I have a black slide P9. Its a great gun, but for the money, the C series is tough to beat.

One exception is if you happen to not live in MA and are a NRA Pistol instructor. In that case, the P9 or PM9 can be had for $410 through their instructor discount program. No more than a CW9 or CM9.

Don

- - - Updated - - -

I don't have a PM9, but I do have the very similar P9 Covert and absolutely love it. The gun is a tack hammer and a job to carry.

That was my favorite Kahr. I sold it for a PM9 and regret it. The PM9 ended up being too heavy for pocket carry (for me. I'm a wuss wrt weight).

I never heard of the "Covert" model. What differentiates that from a regular P9? I know that the P9 is almost the same as the PM9, except the handgrip is longer. So now I'm curious what they did to make it "Covert".

- - - Updated - - -

Here is what you're looking for OP.

View attachment 99338

Awesome comparison information, thanks for posting!

Back
Top Bottom