• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Kahr PM9 sights

I know we've gone over the PM9 quite a bit, but I'd like to focus on sights. Has anyone gotten the stock sights and then ended up regretting it, as opposed to buying night sights from the beginning? Or the converse- anyone who got night sights but thinks the stock nonglowing iron sights are better?

The thought here is that spending extra money on night sights for a BUG might not really be necessary- anyone care to agree/disagree?

Wish I could help you, but I got the night sights. However, I do like them.... and would do it again.

Mine came with regular non-night sights and I will put a set of night sights on eventually. I don't think they're really necessary, but in certain situations they might help and can't really hurt.

I got my PM9 a few years ago with the night sights from the factory. I knew I would be carrying this gun, and many times at night. There are many different opinions with shooters regarding night sights, whether or not to have them period, have just the front sight a night sight, having a different color in the rear, etc..

For me personally, I have trained with and use "green" 3 dot night sights on many firearms, so the fact that the Kahr's night sights were the same, I was all about it. I have shot the PM9 with the factory night sights in the dark and low light at the range, as well as not at the range, and I have been very happy with them each time.

I have XS big dots on mine and love it for quick acquisition. It really comes to preference. Some people like the combat bar/dot system that's stock and some people prefer the standard 3 dot system that is found on many firearms. If it's a carry gun, I'd defitintely recommend some sort of night sights but that's just my opinion.

I have XS big dots on mine and love it for quick acquisition. It really comes to preference. Some people like the combat bar/dot system that's stock and some people prefer the standard 3 dot system that is found on many firearms. If it's a carry gun, I'd defitintely recommend some sort of night sights but that's just my opinion.

How easy are they to swap out and get them accurate? I have XS big dots on my Glock and really like them. You are so right about quick acquisition with the XS sights.

To the OP. Night sights are not needed but I do think that, specifically, XS big dots make a big difference. My PM9 is not a BUG so your needs may be different.

I replaced my front sight with a Hi Viz fiber optic. It's not nearly as bright as some other FO's but with the protective covering it's definitley more durable. I blacked out the rear.

I have stock non night sights on my PM40 and I can hit a 9" plate at 35yds with this thing so I am not changing anything.

I got a PM9 non-ma model with standard sights. I wish it had night sights though just because. Unfortunately from what i read, installing sights on a Kahr is a major PIA and the best way to do it is to send it back to Kahr and that will run you $80 for the sights ($120 for XS) $40 for the installation, $25 for return shipping plus whatever it costs to ship the gun to them in the first place. I'm deciding whether it is easier just to live with what I got or sell it and just buy one with NS already. I think it would be cheaper.

I have heard of people replacing sights with a brass punch, hammer, and a vice, or a universal sight pusher but i have never done it so I'm not sure I want to try.

Last edited:
I bought mine and had Kahr do it for me. as LT1 said, they are put in via a sight press. I have also heard of people doing it with a brass punch but it is a crap shoot. I really do like my XS though.

I did my own sights... I went from stock sights to big dots... couldn't hit anything with them... so I went to night sights. It's a PIA. I used a delrin punch with a lot of filing and a triangle hand file. I'd love to add something like the Tru-glo TFO's like they have on the sigs but they don't make them for Kahr. If I had the extra $, I'd buy some dovetail version made for a different gun and try to retrofit them. Those sights are simply awesome! They are the best I've ever used/seen.

My PM9 is in the shop for these:
opplanet-meprolight-night-sights-kahr-15109.png

I didn't shoot badly with the stock sights, but I just couldn't quite get used to them.

Back
Top Bottom