• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Kansas police investigate whether fatal shooting was result of prank called 'swatting'

Wonder how the "I thought" defense would work for hunting accidents.
I thought the cow was a deer , so I shot
I thought the golden retriever was a deer, so I shot
I thought the lady riding a trail bike was a deer, so I shot.
Should work .. or not.

I "Thought" he had a gun.
Truth is no one gives a shit what you "Thought" , especially this guy's family.

There are something like five times the number of convenience store clerks killed at work than police officers every year.
Hadji starts blowing holes in everyone that comes into the store that puts their hands below chest level and your going to need dump trucks to haul off the corpses .

There was no gun.
Therefore you didn't see a gun.
Therefore you murdered the guy.
End of story.

it takes a monumental amount of stupidity for a police dispatcher to not notice that this "local" swatting report is being telephoned in from 4 states away!!!

The dispatcher should be fired for gross negligence in all these cases
I not sure you're giving enough credit to modern telephony and how easy it is to spoof - even into 911 - one's number and location, and even to have a local number that can be called back.

The dispatcher just did the job. The people who wrote these protocols despite the ease of spoofing into 911, and on-the-scene officers who shot from safety are the ones who blew it. That and the a**hole who made the call of course.

Last edited:
it takes a monumental amount of stupidity for a police dispatcher to not notice that this "local" swatting report is being telephoned in from 4 states away!!!

The dispatcher should be fired for gross negligence in all these cases

Pretty sure the number was spoofed to a local number. You can easily find and download programs to make calls from any number you want.

Pretty sure the number was spoofed to a local number. You can easily find and download programs to make calls from any number you want.

Yes, VOIP number spoofing is common and easy now. It's a bit of a problem for the whole system. It's also the reason so many spam calls have local numbers now. I get tons that have the same area code and exchange as my cell number. I've received spam calls from my own phone number. Can't really rely on caller ID anymore.

Yes, VOIP number spoofing is common and easy now. It's a bit of a problem for the whole system. It's also the reason so many spam calls have local numbers now. I get tons that have the same area code and exchange as my cell number. I've received spam calls from my own phone number. Can't really rely on caller ID anymore.
The only upside to that technique is that my cellphone number uses a Brockton exchange. As I don't know anyone from there, nor do business with anyone there, those calls get a quick "Ignore" tag.

The only upside to that technique is that my cellphone number uses a Brockton exchange. As I don't know anyone from there, nor do business with anyone there, those calls get a quick "Ignore" tag.

Me too. Still have my 864 number from SC. Makes screening a breeze

It seems like more and more we see public officials commit offenses and nothing happens to them. That will not end well, if not corrected soon.

If the campaign to have the police held accountable succeeds, then we can count on the D.A. doing a half ass job to prosecute them. Then the D.A. can blame the jury for not inditing or finding them guilty.

What happens when they start swatting the cops, but are actually lying in wait for them? Betcha things will change very quickly once the cops discover they're being targeted.

Herein lies the problem with Black Lives Matter. Black folks are not the only ones being killed by over-aggressive, militarized police with inadequate and inappropriate rules of engagement. BLM co-opted the very real core issue and made it all about race. Making the issue strictly about race, it becomes too easy for a large portion of the population to tune out the matter. The State's media lap-dogs are all too happy to take the racial angle and run with it, thus helping to distract the citizenry's attention from the real issue.

Back
Top Bottom