Keeping my glock looking it's deep black color

expedition03

NES Member
Hey everyone I have a question for everyone especially for glockowners. What do you use to keep the deep black of the frame and slide looking DEEP BLACK color look of my glock 19. I don't like what the black starts to look chaulky white. I have rephrased my question because it the answers took on its world of it's own. Thanks

Last edited:
Did someone say: Shining?

shining_Jack_Nicholson.gif

Just use a silicone cloth, or a rag with a bit of gun oil...Then you'll be all sparkly...[wave]

shining your glock?

Not sure about the finish on your slide and frame, by mine have a matte to satin finish on them, not "shiny"

the barrel has a much smoother "semi-gloss" to "gloss" finish to the tenifer (a rougher finish would promote wear on the contact between the barrel and the slide) but that's internal.

I clean my glock regularly, and lightly oil the barrel (along with the side rails and 3 internal contact points in the trigger linkages) but never worried about trying to put a shine on the exterior of the slide or frame. I find the satin/matte black finish to be prefered.

Yeah the Glock is not a gun I consider cleaning necessary. Keep firing till its not working correctly then clean it up.
A gun if used will get worn, trying to keep it in pristine condition especially a Glock is not needed in my opinion.
Shoot it, enjoy it!

you need to allow your Glock, for lack of a better term, develop a natural patina.

It is a matte finish, it will wear, and that is part of the "charm".

If you really wanted a nice shiny finish you could send it out to one of the fine shops that do refinishing and have the slide refinished.

n1bsbri,

Thanks for that video. I just tried washed my sig like that. I didn't have any enamel protection toothpaste, only the whitening stuff. Do you think it will change the color of my gun? I want a clean gun, just not a clean, gray gun.

Thanks!

Hey everyone I have a question for everyone especially for glockowners. What do you use to keep the black of the frame and slide looking shiny black of a glock 19. I clean my glock after I use it so I like to keep my prizes in great looking condition. Thanks.

I don't. I clean the gun, lube it, wipe up the excess lube, load it (unless I'm not carrying it) and throw it back into the holster. There is nothing to "shine" on a Glock. The entire point of the gun is so that I don't have to sit around wiping fingerprints off it or worrying about it every time a spec of dust or water gets on the finish. With the Glocks I don't use for carry I don't usually clean the things until things start to get sluggish. I shoot them until they stop working, sometimes I will clean the sights off if they get muzzle fog on them, but that's about it.

I'll take a WAG... you've owned guns for 4 years or less? After about year 3 the "constant fastidiously cleaning guns that don't need it" thing starts to get old, fast.

-Mike

I don't. I clean the gun, lube it, wipe up the excess lube, load it (unless I'm not carrying it) and throw it back into the holster. There is nothing to "shine" on a Glock. The entire point of the gun is so that I don't have to sit around wiping fingerprints off it or worrying about it every time a spec of dust or water gets on the finish. With the Glocks I don't use for carry I don't usually clean the things until things start to get sluggish. I shoot them until they stop working, sometimes I will clean the sights off if they get muzzle fog on them, but that's about it.

I'll take a WAG... you've owned guns for 4 years or less? After about year 3 the "constant fastidiously cleaning guns that don't need it" thing starts to get old, fast.

-Mike

For me it took about a year. Started shooting last April, and recently decided that cleaning my Glock every time (or every other time) I shot it was just not worth it. I occasionally throw some lube on the slide rails, and otherwise don't touch it. About 1000 rounds without cleaning and it's still running fine.

Throw it in the toilet tank with one of those smelly blue things. That should do it. Seriously though, just wipe it down with a silicone cloth if you're worried. Clean it when it stops working.

ask drgrant how well duck sauce works.

[rofl]

I still remember the horrors of picking up that sig mag off my desk and noticing that the paint finish had been disturbed by DUCK SAUCE. [rofl]

That is another advantage to Glocks.... duck sauce will not "corrode" the plastic. [laugh]

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom