Kel-Tec RFB

I was on their site looking at something unrelated when I stumbled upon this. Looks like a sort of FN knock off, only chambered in 7.62 NATO, also it takes FAL mags so I figure Hi-caps would be available to those of us behind enemy lines. Supposed to be released in the first quarter of '08, to me if the price is right and it works under the AWB it might be worth a look at.
Keltec_RFB.jpg

Keltec_RFB2.jpg

This was discussed a lot when it was announced at the SHOT show, on AR15.com.

The takeaway from those posts that I got was

1) The rumored asking price did not look very appealing, it was waay more expensive than an AR10 style (which is better debugged at this point) 2-3 $K??

2) Do you really want to stick your face right on top of the chamber when firing 7.62?

3) The eject path for the case is kinda long, looks like it could get blocked easily

Otherwise, it looks super cool...

1) The rumored asking price did not look very appealing, it was waay more expensive than an AR10 style (which is better debugged at this point) 2-3 $K??
If that turns out to be the price range I'd give up on it instantly, fot that you could get an Ar10 as mentioned or an FS200 if you like the bullpup/forward eject thing. I was hoping for much cheaper than that, it is a Kel-tec after all.

2) Do you really want to stick your face right on top of the chamber when firing 7.62?
Same as with any bullpup if it goes Kaboom I don't care if it's .22 or .50 at that point your screwed.

3) The eject path for the case is kinda long, looks like it could get blocked easily
Actually had not thought about this, it could very well be a problem once it gets dirty. No real way to tell however without putting a couple of thousand round through one.[smile]

Just from looking at the cut-away diagrams the thing looks overly complicated with too many parts involved.

The trigger has five individual adjustment parameters. Why the hell would that be needed unless it was to correct some design flaw ? (3 adjustment points at the most should be sufficient).

The ad mentions a "free floating picatinny forend or bi-pod can be attached directly to the barrel". If the forend attaches directly to the barrel... it's not free floating (should be attached to the receiver). Mounting the bipod directly to the barrel isn't the brightest idea either.

I'm not a big fan of bullpup style firearms myself... no ability for quick mag changes and having my ear that close to the chamber being two reasons (one other non important reason is I can't stand the way they look). It uses FAL mags, so they're not drop-free (probably not that important on the 'sniper' version, but would be nice on the carbine version).

$2k - $3k for a Kel-Tec?! What's next... a $1,500 scope from Tasco?

I think I'll pass on this one... it's not MA legal anyways (if it has a threaded muzzle and collapsible stock).

Kel Tec #9

A fellow was over at the Camp Ellis Gun club last week with his brand new Kel-Tec 9mm with iron sights. They were blasting computers to smithereens.

I let his son try my boys .44 Mag Henry and then he offered to let me shoot the Kel Tec

He let me shoot a clip of 9mm hardball and my first shot was a clay target at about 50 yards. Right on the money. Its a cool lille gun and the best part is its concealable. Just break it in half and sling it under your trenchcoat or dinner jacket.

Might be a fun Coyote hunting rifle.

A fellow was over at the Camp Ellis Gun club last week with his brand new Kel-Tec 9mm with iron sights. They were blasting computers to smithereens.

I let his son try my boys .44 Mag Henry and then he offered to let me shoot the Kel Tec

He let me shoot a clip of 9mm hardball and my first shot was a clay target at about 50 yards. Right on the money. Its a cool lille gun and the best part is its concealable. Just break it in half and sling it under your trenchcoat or dinner jacket.

Might be a fun Coyote hunting rifle.

I have the Sub-2000 in 9mm. It is a GREAT little carbine. I've hit clays with it fairly regularly at 100 yards. It folds up so small... :)

I'm very impressed with Kel-Tecs design ideas but somehow the execution never seams to go over well. For example: I have a Sub2k. The idea was great. However the knob to chamber a round is awkward, the folding over the top means you can't use a red-dot, the receiver is plastic (I've always been against that), the buttstock isn't very comfortable, and on and on I could go. I have actually seriously debated looking into making and selling an upgrade system for it to fix most of the problems but after all is said and done, the total investment in the weapon would be the same as a cheap AR. I'm not too sure that makes for a good business model.

Back
Top Bottom