Kel-Tec Sub-2000 Range Report

I picked up my new Sub-2000 in 9mm Glock configuration yesterday from Four Seasons. New price is $330.00. It took about 14 weeks for it to come in, but the timing was good as today was a beautiful day. Got to the range this afternoon so I thought I'd post a brief range report.

First thing was to clean it up a bit before firing. I did that last night and boy was the barrel filthy, but it cleaned up fine. My first impressions were that it was pretty light and looked pretty cheap although kind of cool. The bottom of the grip panels and the bottom edge of the trigger were razor sharp but were easily smoothed with fine emery cloth and files.

At the range, I set up a bullseye target at 25 yards and 2 8" steel plates at 50 yards. The first mag (10 rounds) was fired offhand at the bullseye target just to see where the rifle would hit, given that the sights are all plastic pieces and look kind of crude. To my surprise, all the shots were in a little cluster about 4" diameter.

So now I know the rifle shoots pretty much where it is aimed. The next exercise was to attempt hitting the 8" steel plates at 50 yards. I first shot off the bench to help ensure the sights would be held fairly steady on the plates. The first shot connected although a little right and high of center. The rest of the mag connected as well, no misses!

I then had to try hitting the plates offhand even though I'm not as steady as I used to be. After several mags, I averaged about a 70% hit ratio.

I did not try it at 100 yards yet, but I will. That should be a bit more challenging. Overall I'm pleased with the performance, 1 FTE at about 80 rounds, easily cleared then 20 rounds before I quit with no problems. Ammo was WWB. Time will tell how reliable and durable this gun will be, but it does have a lifetime warranty. I also have had a P-11 9mm for the last 10 years and the only problem I ever had was a broken slide lock. I called them and told customer service what piece had broken and they shipped me a new slide lock and a new recoil spring (not requested) immediately at no charge.

The addition of a red dot sight would make this gun a great plinker and I intend to add one as soon as I find a good mounting method. I've checked with the Kel-Tec Owners forum and folks there have come up with many different ways of mounting optics as well as lights, lasers, you name it.

If anyone here has one, I'd be interested to hear about any problems or any improvements you have made to yours. Sorry, I'm not set up to do photos at the moment.

Sounds like it did what it was supposed to do - nice report, but no pics???[crying]

I have an SU-16A and love it. It's been 100%. Always thought about picking up a Kel-Tec 2000 in .40 S&W, (I have some 29 round mags)....

PS: You'll likely be amazed at what the little 2000 will do at 100-yards.... [wink]

When my range had hanging steel plates at the 25 yard pistol range I used to love going there with my Sub 2000 in 9mm and blasting them right down the line in rapid fire, rarely missing one. [grin] Once you get the hang of how to hold and aim the Sub 2000, these are accurate and fun little rifles.
At 50 yards I can hit what I'm aiming at with consistency and group pretty good on paper. 100 yards... forget it, I'm lucky to hit a 12" x 12" target, but I was told when I bought mine that they are capable of hitting man sized targets at 100 through brush.
One modification I did to mine was polish the feed ramp with a Dremel and polishing bit. It wouldn't feed hollow points and some types of FMJ ammo, but after some buffing with a Dremel I can shoot anything through it now. Very easy fix considering the rifle folds up for access to the feed ramp.
I've also been considering adding some type of foam cheek rest because that metal tube gets uncomfortable after a bit and its realllll cold in the winter.
I'm thinking a stick on strip of foam will work great and make it more comfortable to shoot.

Back
Top Bottom