Keyed/Keyless Trigger Lock Review

A while back, I posted I was looking for a trigger lock (or some similar locking device) for a shotgun in the bedroom, but didn't want to be futzing with a key, or even a combination. I don't have any kind of legal requirement I'm trying to meet. I'm looking to defeat natural curiosity and normal dexterity, not malicious intent.

I found a lock called Gunlok by Pro-Lok that seemed to have promise.

GL650KD.jpg

I was intrigued by the advertised "three levels of security," including "instant access." It also boasts CA DOJ approval as a locking device, so I figured it wasn't two paperclips held together with a rubber band. I wagered the $26, and decided to give it a try. Here's a quick review of I found.

Here's what your money gets you:

IMG_4479.jpg

The lock body, a set of keys, a coated steel cable, and a number of "pins" for custom fitting the lock to the weapon.

IMG_4480.jpg

The lock is a pretty solid piece of metal, with soft rubber padding on the edges to prevent scratching

IMG_4485.jpg

Holes in the lock body allow you to use the supplied rubber-coated pins to custom fit the lock to the trigger guard you're using it on.

LockOV1.jpg

The lock has two visible release buttons, and one hidden, non-intuitive button. The "three levels" of security work like this:

Instant Access: You press the release buttons in a particular sequence, including the hidden one, and the lock opens. One of the visible release buttons is a decoy, and depressing it will disable the "instant" opening feature. Pretty clever, and it works well.

Additional protection: Turn the key to "lock," and you lock-out the instant opening feature, and a key is needed to open the lock.

Cable Lock Security: Anchor the cable in the lock body using the steel pins, and run the cable through the action, or around a post, etc.

Here's the lock in place on a typical pump shotgun.

IMG_4490.jpg

Note that if you just clamp it on without fitting it, you can pull the lock away from the trigger guard enough to put pressure on the trigger. I was able to drop the hammer by pulling hard enough on the lock in this manner. If you're storing your shotgun in something like cruiser ready, you could rack the slide and, if you pulled on the lock just right, discharge the weapon.

By putting the pins in the proper positions within the lock, you can freeze the lock on the triggerguard, and it will not move.

IMG_4492.jpg

Locked in place with the pins aligned as above.

IMG_4494.jpg

Note that the placement of the lock allows you to get a full firing grip with your strong hand (assuming a righty), and use your left hand to manipulate the Instant Access sequence, which is an easy one-handed movement.

IMG_4496-1.jpg

For an added level of security, you can prevent racking the action by using the cable attachment.

Pin the cable in place through the lock body:

IMG_4497.jpg

And then close the lock body, thereby preventing the action from closing.

IMG_4499.jpg

Well, it may not be for everybody, but it's a good solid lock, meets CA DOJ standards, and the "three levels" of security has a lot of appeal for me. If you want more than one, you can get them keyed alike, or get them keyed differently. I'll probably get one or two more. It meets my personal needs perfectly, and now sits on my HD shotgun in the bedroom.

Nice review. Note that the safest way to use this would appear to be to simply use the cable and refrain from putting the lock on the trigger. Trigger locks are an accident just waiting to happen.

Ken

Great review. I recently acquired a HD shotty and was looking for a way to protect it from minor curiosity but still not fumble through the bedroom looking for keys and the locks and that whole mess. What site did you order from? Direct from manufacturer or a Midway type site? Thanks again.

Great review. I recently acquired a HD shotty and was looking for a way to protect it from minor curiosity but still not fumble through the bedroom looking for keys and the locks and that whole mess. What site did you order from? Direct from manufacturer or a Midway type site? Thanks again.
The more I play with mine, the more I like it. It meets my needs perfectly. I got mine from eBay, but you can order directly from the manufacturer if you want. Unfortunately, neither Brownells nor Midway carry them, but the discounts on eBay are pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom