KH7XS on 20m

Damn, I just got my new amp up and running and was tuning around on 20m this evening.

Was on 14.250.50 and heard a BIG signal form KH7XS out of Hawaii. He was hitting me at S9+10 and was super clear with great audio.

I listened in and tried to get in through the pile-up, but being 5,000 miles away, I knew my odds were low. Just about 11:00PM EST, he started working the numbers for WAS stations only. He called for 1s and I got in and he reported me at a 56. Not shabby for a 80m OCF about 40 feet up with an AL-811H putting out about 700W with a tuned SWR about 1.1:1

Needless to say, I'm pretty pumped about being able to hit him.

The guy has a SICK station. Go check out his QRZ page. https://www.qrz.com/db/KH7XS

Hope he comes back on again tomorrow night.

Awesome. 11,700 miles. That's pretty much half way around this blue ball.

Have you tried digital or Morse yet? CW needs 50-100 times less power than voice, and digital modes are even better. My most memorable was a CW exchange with a Russian science station in Antarctica. 10,700 on 3Watts. When the propagation God's are in a good mood it's amazing what you can do with the same power as a cell phone.

Awesome. 11,700 miles. That's pretty much half way around this blue ball.

Have you tried digital or Morse yet? CW needs 50-100 times less power than voice, and digital modes are even better. My most memorable was a CW exchange with a Russian science station in Antarctica. 10,700 on 3Watts. When the propagation God's are in a good mood it's amazing what you can do with the same power as a cell phone.

Nah...not yet on the CW. Waiting for the training net to start up on Paxton. I was able to hear McMurdo Station down in Antarctica on JT65 a few months back. Also heard an Indian station.

I'm intrigued by the new protocol coming out, FT8 for 6m E-Skip propagation. They are in the process of finalizing the protocol and are towards the end of their alpha test phase.

Back
Top Bottom