• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Kids of yesteryear had the best toys!

I had a Johnny Eagle Magumba rifle with the genuine plastic ivory elephant on the stock. I even had (and don't judge me) a pith helmet to go with it.

229-1.jpg

Dad still has a set he won't part with them.
I have a childhood friend who caught one of those with a glancing blow to the head, a couple inches away from a direct hit. She still has quite a scar that she covers with her hair style.

I was pissed when they recalled the Water Wiggle And my mom took mine away.

Last edited:
Back in 78-79 or so, I found a, possibly Man from UNCLE, toy gun with a removable silencer in a store down on Cape Cod. I was 10 or so. It was amazing. I think I lost it on the trip back home a few days later b/c I don't recall ever seeing it again.

These would have been awesome back then. Never see anything line these nowadays

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JCBvu9MX-po

It's not too late:

and don't forget the boollets!

My neighbor had JSOMA. I loved that gun. They were getting a little old for it, so I would use it a lot. I think you could put talcum powder in the grenade so it "smoked" when it landed.

I still have a pristine set of "Jarts" in the box
I wonder if you can 3D print the vanes for those. Then all you need to do is make the metal body spike, and the straw thing with a screw cap to hold it all together.

Those water powered rockets that you pumped up? Or those copter thingies, that you launched into the air with a rubber band on a stick? And Crosman BB guns, when they were made from real wood, and solid metal?
I learned how to shoot with a daisy red ryder in my basement. Not exactly the best platform to learn on but you will develop good trigger control. The red ryder at 5m is more than good to develop some skills and safe handling
Still have that red ryder and still use it

Super Elastic Bubble Plastic

Spirograph

Erector Set

Lincoln Logs

Also, that thing you heated up the goop to make bugs or creatures. Can't remember the name.

Legos were great, but of course, they are still around.

I love the "official Red Ryder, carbine action, 200-shot, range model air rifle, with a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time." that I bought a few years ago but what would be really cool for me and I'm willing to pay for it is something that looks completely classic. I mean a collectors edition one, not the one that comes from Walmart, but something that looks authentic with a fancier stock, engraving, etc. That would be cool. To do something like Henry does with their lever action rifles.

Spirograph

Erector Set

Lincoln Logs

Also, that thing you heated up the goop to make bugs or creatures. Can't remember the name.

Lego still makes interesting models. I discovered this one right after I bought my Jeep:

lego_jeep1.jpg

There's a couple of interesting documentaries on adults who build things with lego, amazing things. Here's a group of folks who made a life sized F-150 out of lego:

Spirograph

Erector Set

Lincoln Logs

Where do spirograph kits go?
In 10 years my wife has bought 1/2 dozen ……everytime I thought of using some of the pieces to draw something up they cant be found, lol

I love the "official Red Ryder, carbine action, 200-shot, range model air rifle, with a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time." that I bought a few years ago but what would be really cool for me and I'm willing to pay for it is something that looks completely classic. I mean a collectors edition one, not the one that comes from Walmart, but something that looks authentic with a fancier stock, engraving, etc. That would be cool. To do something like Henry does with their lever action rifles.
Well if you like “daisy” style rifles this guy has all sorts of stuff and he mentions a guy making custom daisy rifles

View: https://youtu.be/NC0ZBA9c_xw

My Fanner 50 for the win

My dad (82) talks of a cowboy gun set he had when he was a kid. It was a six-shooter and leather (probably top or full grain - things you could get with toys back in the day) holster. The trigger guard and hammer were completely exposed. The holster was attached with a single large rivet. So you could fast-draw without pulling it out of the holster. LOL

I have a set of Jarts. Had a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun too when I was 8 or 10.

Another toy that was dangerous was the Glass Clackers:

Malodave

I'm pretty sure even when they were made of plastic, Clackers would shatter and hurt people.

I miss my steel Tonka trucks, but to be honest, the plastic ones make so much more sense. No rusting. No tetanus. While they feel "cheap" they are probably similar quality - as long as you aren't trying to drive over them with a monster truck. One day left out in a rain storm in the sandbox and they were toast. :(

We played with regular darts out on the lawn. One kid would throw darts as high as they could, another would use a dart board to catch them on their way down. The danger of it was ridiculously obvious.
Good times!
We did it with multiple arrows shot straight up and then we all laid down. Nobody got hit but rolling out of the way had to be a split second decision on occasion.

Two miracles. That any of us emerged from childhood without being killed or maimed, and that our parents didn’t have a nervous breakdown from our craziness.

Back
Top Bottom