• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Killing of Danquirs Franklin by Charlotte Mecklenburg PD

DispositionMatrix

NES Member
‘You told me to...’: Charlotte man appeared to be lowering gun when police shot him
Danquirs Franklin appeared to be lowering a gun toward the ground at the time a Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officer fatally shot him, a video released Monday shows.

CMPD released body-worn camera footage from the March 25 confrontation when Officer Wende Kerl killed Franklin in the parking lot of a west Charlotte Burger King. Kerl was responding to frantic 911 calls about a man with a gun threatening people at the restaurant.

Kerl’s body camera shows that she and another officer instructed Franklin to put the gun down more than 15 times in the roughly 40 seconds before he was shot. In that span, the gun is not visible in the video.

After watching the vid a few times, it seems clear to me that he had the gun by the slide, not by the grip in a firing position so he could have been in process of laying/dropping it to the ground. As mentioned in the story, “In hindsight, the officers probably could have said, ‘Put your hands up. Don’t move. Don’t reach toward the gun. And if you move toward your gun, we’ll shoot you.’ ”, I believe this is the way it should have gone, but we all know, in the heat of the moment, things are not always going to go "as they should have". Why didn't one of the cops taze him to incapacitate him so others could cuff him take the gun, that would have made sense to me, but I have no idea what ROE's police have.

How many times do you have to be told to put it down, and why did he not tell them OK, is he deaf? Was the gun in the door pocket?
Why would you not raise your hands? if it was in the door pocket. Suicide by cop?

Last edited:
There was a passenger in the car, sitting right in front of him. He was just as likely pointing the gun at the passenger.
He did not comply on the first command. IMHO the only mistake the police made was not shooting two seconds after he failed to drop the gun on the first command. They exposed the passenger to greater risk with all the excessive talk.
This looked like a case of Suicide By Cop.

Guess he should have put it down after the THIRTEENTH time he was told to?

We call it the Goofy Loop. Ask, tell, make. It may not be 'politically correct', it may look bad, but if they'd tased him or OC'd him, he'd probably would have not been shot.

With proper contact/cover, one of them could have gone to a different tool if they weren't shooting from the get go.

Can I get a ruling on pronunciation of the deceased's First Name...?

Danquirs Franklin

Lets play devils advocate on this one. Why are some people completely fine with police coming up to civilians and demanding they follow their orders OR GET SHOT. This wasn't MA. NC they have more rights than up here. What he was doing was legal. Was he probably up to no good? Sure, but lets go back to presuming he wasn't. Gun owners have restrictions because gun owners eat their own. It blows me away when I see arguments like "he should have listened". This behavior of shooting LEGAL ARMED CITIZENS needs to stop. The police force, nationwide, needs a new rules of engagement.
I see this case as a fellow gun enthusiast murdered by cop. Until he threatened someone or actually took a offensive stance against the PD, you won't convince me otherwise.

North Carolina is a common law state.[6] Appearing in a public place, armed with a firearm, may be an affray at common law depending on the circumstances.[7] In State v. Robert S. Huntley (1843), it was ruled, in part:

It has been remarked that a double-barrel gun, or any other gun, cannot in this country come under the description of "unusual weapons," for there is scarcely a man in the community who does not own and occasionally use a gun of some sort. But we do not feel the force of this criticism. A gun is an "unusual weapon," wherewith to be armed and clad. No man amongst us carries it about with him, as one of his every day accoutrements—as a part of his dress—and never, we trust, will the day come when any deadly weapon will be worn or wielded in our peace-loving and law-abiding State, as an appendage of manly equipment. But although a gun is an "unusual weapon," it is to be remembered that the carrying of a gun, per se, constitutes no (sic) offence. For any lawful purpose—either of business or amusement—the citizen is at perfect liberty to carry his gun. It is the wicked purpose, and the mischievous result, which essentially constitute the crime. He shall not carry about this or any other weapon of death to terrify and alarm, and in such manner as naturally will terrify and alarm a peaceful people'

Lets play devils advocate on this one. Why are some people completely fine with police coming up to civilians and demanding they follow their orders OR GET SHOT. This wasn't MA. NC they have more rights than up here. What he was doing was legal. Was he probably up to no good? Sure, but lets go back to presuming he wasn't. Gun owners have restrictions because gun owners eat their own. It blows me away when I see arguments like "he should have listened". This behavior of shooting LEGAL ARMED CITIZENS needs to stop. The police force, nationwide, needs a new rules of engagement.
I see this case as a fellow gun enthusiast murdered by cop. Until he threatened someone or actually took a offensive stance against the PD, you won't convince me otherwise.
I'm sure "Danquirs" was a legally armed citizen. The call was about a man waving a gun around, still had the gun and refused to drop it. All the "they should have tased him" rates right up there with silly libs that say "they could have shot the gun out of his hand". f*** him, some meatball waves a gun around threatening people, refuses to drop said gun and gets shot after the 14th time????? I'm sure he "was a good boy, a very good boy", and just turning his life around.

I'm sure "Danquirs" was a legally armed citizen. The call was about a man waving a gun around, still had the gun and refused to drop it. All the "they should have tased him" rates right up there with silly libs that say "they could have shot the gun out of his hand". f*** him, some meatball waves a gun around threatening people, refuses to drop said gun and gets shot after the 14th time????? I'm sure he "was a good boy, a very good boy", and just turning his life around.
It was 15 times.

Did you read the article? CMPD released body-worn camera footage from the March 25 confrontation when Officer Wende Kerl killed Franklin in the parking lot of a west Charlotte Burger King. Kerl was responding to frantic 911 calls about a man with a gun threatening people at the restaurant.

or hear the part about the officer telling him to drop it. Why did he fail to speak up and say OK, I am putting it down or I am going to put my hands up. Just sat there like a fool not saying a word. He could have told them it's in the door pocket and not reach for it. SPEAK !!

Who was the dude in the car?

and one huge f***ing fail
The caller said she did not actually see a gun, but she drove off. Officers arrived at the scene four minutes after the first 911 call began, police said.

I feel sorry for the mother. I can not being to image her pain.

Last edited:
How many of you have thought through drawing your holstered gun to drop it when being held at gun point by police?

I'm happy to defend cops when justified- I have many LEO family and friends. However, this is a bad shoot. The guy was following orders to put the gun down and was shot for that. Cop should at least be facing manslaughter charges.

I wonder how "Officer, do you mind grabbing it for me..." would have worked out? [rofl2]

Did you read the article? CMPD released body-worn camera footage from the March 25 confrontation when Officer Wende Kerl killed Franklin in the parking lot of a west Charlotte Burger King. Kerl was responding to frantic 911 calls about a man with a gun threatening people at the restaurant.

or hear the part about the officer telling him to drop it. Why did he fail to speak up and say OK, I am putting it down or I am going to put my hands up. Just sat there like a fool not saying a word. He could have told them it's in the door pocket and not reach for it. SPEAK !!

Who was the dude in the car?

and one huge f***ing fail
The caller said she did not actually see a gun, but she drove off. Officers arrived at the scene four minutes after the first 911 call began, police said.

I feel sorry for the mother. I can not being to image her pain.
How is this any different than an ERPO call? The police are going off of information from a random caller. I have an issue with the police being able to show up and disarm anyone without actually seeing a crime. What activity was witnessed first hand by the police? A man with a gun. That's it. The footage doesnt show anything different. The way he was cowering, clearly his head wasnt right. Be it that he was scared that he had 2 police officers with guns drawn, having a mental breakdown, or he was up to no good and knew he was caught.

How is this any different than an ERPO call? The police are going off of information from a random caller. I have an issue with the police being able to show up and disarm anyone without actually seeing a crime. What activity was witnessed first hand by the police? A man with a gun. That's it. The footage doesnt show anything different. The way he was cowering, clearly his head wasnt right. Be it that he was scared that he had 2 police officers with guns drawn, having a mental breakdown, or he was up to no good and knew he was caught.

No matter what police have to control situation no matter it’s a good guy with the gun or bad guy with a gun. Look at the guy who drew on that driver who was on the highway with a guy on the hood. State arrested him but let him go on scene when they found out he was a guy trying to help out. They didn’t seize his firearm or snatch his Ltc.

If the suspect head isn’t right, then that would make the situation even worse, then his mental state can turn on a dime. Especially if police gave him 15 chances in 40 seconds which is a long time to have someone comply.

"He made his choices"

Punk shows up with a gun, threatens people with it, is getting "cute" with it, sneaky cute as in can't be trusted. He ends up dead. Play stupid games win stupid prizes. In cases like this I will side with the police 100% of the time. Sure, are there some "bad" shootings, yes of course, however this ain't one of them.

What’s a cop supposed to do?

All he had to do was put his hands in the air. So, what should have the police done with known the call was a man with a gun? Just walk up and with guns holstered and say hi?

In this particular case, the video didn't show him with his hand on the gun in a firing grip. Near the end of the video shown, he appears to be holding the gun by the slide, not the grip like he just picked it out of the door pocket or one of his pockets with his right hand which had not been visible to the officers due to his crouched position with his left side facing the cops. What he should have done was immediately put his hands in the air to show he had no weapon in either hand and then hopefully the cops would have just had him prone out and one could have cuffed him.

Unfortunately though, most of the folks that get themselves in these situations are not too bright or on some substance impairing their thinking process, so things usually go badly for them. Since the call was about a man waving a gun around inside the McD's, he wasn't exactly innocent, so as others say, PSGWSP.

All he had to do was put his hands in the air. So, what should have the police done with known the call was a man with a gun? Just walk up and with guns holstered and say hi?
Someone who has a mental issue cannot make the decision to calmly put their hands up. What if he put his hands up quicker than the police wanted. they would call that a sudden movement and assumed he was drawing the firearm. Firing squad execution in that scenario as well.
What they need to do is treat gun owners in the same manner as non gun owners. Too many trigger happy cops. As stated above, a set and clear rules of engagement needs to be laid out to police. Being able to fire on someone for holding a gun is unacceptable.
Approach with caution, sure. But kill him, absolutely not. Not listening to commands should equal death.

Again, he may have been a dirtbag. BUT what if he wasn't? what if some piece of shit liberal made the call? What if they freaked out over nothing, at the sight of a gun. Maybe he got a new pistol and was showing his buddy. Far too many questions in this scenario to be able to justify killing the guy for holding a firearm in the position he was.

Someone who has a mental issue cannot make the decision to calmly put their hands up. What if he put his hands up quicker than the police wanted. they would call that a sudden movement and assumed he was drawing the firearm. Firing squad execution in that scenario as well.
What they need to do is treat gun owners in the same manner as non gun owners. Too many trigger happy cops. As stated above, a set and clear rules of engagement needs to be laid out to police. Being able to fire on someone for holding a gun is unacceptable.
Approach with caution, sure. But kill him, absolutely not. Not listening to commands should equal death.

Again, he may have been a dirtbag. BUT what if he wasn't? what if some piece of shit liberal made the call? What if they freaked out over nothing, at the sight of a gun. Maybe he got a new pistol and was showing his buddy. Far too many questions in this scenario to be able to justify killing the guy for holding a firearm in the position he was.

re the bolded: even if he was, that's not a capital offense.

Where did you get that he had a mental issue? Did I miss something? Again where was the gun?

Back
Top Bottom