• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Knife Recommendation

I would not spend more than $35-$50 for a knife...
It's a tool, likely to get lost (TSA whoopsie) and likely only used for small cutting tasks anyway, rather than fighting off the horde, or tacti-ninja fighting...

Swiss Army Knife, a Leatherman, Kershaw Skyline, Cold Steel Tuff-Lite, Ontario Rat, or Rat2... Not some 5" blade length either, like under 3" blade to be legal in most places.

You could always get him a Camillus U.S. Army demolitions knife...
The blasting cap hole reamer makes a great awl, and the knife is extremely durable...

1978-CAMILLUS-USA-Military-Camp-Knife-S1760-NM.jpg

Already gave him a refurbed Wave I found. Will look for something under 3" and tell him not to take it with him. I'll ship it to him later. What is AIT?

Get him a Leatherman.

I know it's the thought that counts, and kudos to you for wanting to do this OP, but let the man pick his own folder. Offer to buy it.

Get him a Leatherman.

I know it's the thought that counts, and kudos to you for wanting to do this OP, but let the man pick his own folder. Offer to buy it.
I’m curious of the outcome of this thread. What did the OP’s son pick for a blade? I agree with @Picton on this as pocketknives are very personal. I’ve never really liked knives that are gifted to me unless I picked them out beforehand but I would go with a Leatherman Wave all the way. My 2 waves, the right one is a user and the left one is a backup. The older no lock versions are best imo. The Juice is handy as hell but no longer made.
7352F9CC-7F5A-4FDF-8D81-0405ED46FAE5.jpeg

Can't go wrong with ZT knives IMO

1000% this. I'm a huge knife snob now after doing my dive down the worm hole several years ago.

1st question would be 'what is your budget'. $100 will get you an 'ok' knife, $200 will get you something that will last a lifetime.

I used to be a huge Benchmade fan but learned their board donates to a lot of anti-2A pol's, I switched to Zero Tolerance (Kershaw's 'upscale' brand) and haven't looked back. If you don't care about that, the Benchmade 58x Barrage series is a great assisted opening knife. (I don't care about them helping the cops cut up guns, the cops asked for help, they helped, that's a plus in my book, but giving money to pol's sinks them for me)

Otherwise I'd recommend a ZT 562 series for a bigger knife (and better steel, a better version of the Hinderer XM18). 0609 are great and nice looking / light, 223 is a cool throwback to the KaBar, the 350 is another great assisted opener and very solidly built, something on the smaller side, and assisted is the 770CF (with carbon fiber handle) and this is my go-to gift for nephew's :)

Great thing about ZT if you send them back they'll take them apart, clean them, sharpen them, and replace worn fasteners , shims, etc for the price of shipping ($7 now). I just sent 5 of mine back and got them back in about 5-6 weeks. (and it was still just $7, not $35)

I probably have over a dozen knives now, and nearly all of them are ZT.

If you don't really care about money, get them a Chris Reeve's knife. That akin to a Rolex, but it's pricey for a tool if you're gonna cut boxes everyday. But they are damn nice.

Here's the current "drawer" I grab something from for EDC. (Right now it's the 562 on the bottom pic) Custom burled maple grips, and matching bronzed titanium hardware. I've even sent it back to ZT with all the aftermarket stuff on it, and ZT cleans it, sends it back re-assembled. Love those guys.

GISgfmW[1].jpg

lKxQxZi[1].jpg

Last edited:
Love this photo!

Did the wife give up one of her jewelry-box drawers for your Precious...??? [smile]

1604158101860.png 1604158163423.png

At Basic and AIT, usually a no go. After that, I have seen list/posts/schools limit the size of your pocket folder to 3” but, I have never been anywhere where they checked. ( have you seen what they sell at the PX/clothing sales?) You will find most Soldiers have a pocket folder on them at all times and a fixed blade on their field gear. I have loaned/lost knives so I try to keep the cost at $50.00 or less.
most of the posts I have been to have regulations about blade length. The whole time I was in, the one thing I always needed was a multitool. They also have blades on them for when they are needed.

he will need to pry something small or need pliers or a screwdriver 20 times as much as a knife.

Last edited:
For lighter weight EDC I like Benchmade Emerson 940 and similar models. For a hard use knife go with ZT - I like the Hinderer 560 and 562.

most of the posts I have been to have regulations about blade length. The whole time I was in, the one thing I always needed was a multitool. They also have blades on them for when they are needed.

he will need to pry something small or need pliers or a screwdriver 20 times as much as a knife.
Almost perfect..Vic Soldier. 9B190DC3-4B34-452D-838A-D11DEF3DD34E.jpeg

I know it's late for the OP to be taking more advice, but I need to jump on the ZT bandwagon. I love my 0350ST. I also have a 0022 for dockers/work.

My only complaint is also a positive; the 0350ST is huge. It feels good in the hand for a pocket folder, but it's also big to carry. The 0022 is good for small knife situations, but it doesn't feel nearly as robust.

The 0450 is slim and rock solid. No blade play, perfectly centered, smooth action - no complaints at all except that it’s boringly reliable. I thought all ZTs were huge until I found it.

I have to put my .02 in for ZT. I have had this knife for about 5 years. I am a firefighter and contractor, this has been used for prying, chipping, cutting...... it has never failed me. It is a larger knife and they don't make it any more. It is the ZT300ST, similar to the 350 but bigger.

IMG_1314.jpg IMG_1313.jpg

I’m curious of the outcome of this thread. What did the OP’s son pick for a blade? I agree with @Picton on this as pocketknives are very personal. I’ve never really liked knives that are gifted to me unless I picked them out beforehand but I would go with a Leatherman Wave all the way. My 2 waves, the right one is a user and the left one is a backup. The older no lock versions are best imo. The Juice is handy as hell but no longer made.
View attachment 405854
Love the Wave, mostly because the knife blades are on the outside. My son has one of the more expensive Leathermans with the wire cutter that has replaceable carbide edges. He can cut spring steel wire, but he has to spread the handles ti get to a knife blade.

Back
Top Bottom