Krav Maga instructors in worcester county ???

jeffC

NES Member
I am interested in learning Krav Maga. i live in the Worcester area. Does anyone know of any instructors in this area ?

Type your zipcode into here:

http://www.kravmaga.com/locations/l...ldwide-officially-certified-training-centers/

Avoid "America's Best Defense" in Attleborro Falls. I visited their school and attended a couple of classes. They are complete garbage in my opinion and don't even really teach Krav. It was more of an aerobics class. I've heard that Boston has some legit schools. I trained Krav Maga when I lived in Las Vegas and am going back out there to get certified to instruct so I can open my own school here since I can't find a decent place close to my house. Good luck

thanks..... ive visited two schools so far and ALL they are are aerobis classes. Its tough to find legit Krav around here apparently. thanks for the link, ill definetly check it out !! If you certified, im VERY interested in learning..... look me back up !!! lol

Bump for this topic. Any purely defense related Krav (or similar) schools in the Worcester area? I spent years in one of the Japanese traditional karate schools and am a Ni-Dan (2nd degree). I enjoyed those years and they were certainly rewarding, but... I'm getting too old and banged up to mess around with anything for the sake of the art, nor do I want to spend any of my limited time teaching kids.

MMA might be out because I have a ripped up knee and a bunch of hardware holding my right shoulder together- not looking to risk sparring with someone who doesn't know when to stop when tapped, so it would have to be a well disciplined school. Just want to get a workout and stay fresh with self defense techniques.

I have a lot of respect for those that train Krav Maga, there is no play acting like other martial arts. I've been lucky enough to talk to 2 Israelis that trained in Israel, and had a guy working for me that also took up Krav (he was an Israeli immigrant so maybe it's an Israeli thing). And a few things I got from them, training is a lot about working through the pain, not by some zen BS but by beating the crap out of each other. You could always tell a good workout by the black eye and bruises. It's only "self defence" when you use it as a response, because the goal is to kill the other guy (might be an Israeli thing). And there is a reason there is no sport associated with it.

I'm too old and fat to even consider it, but anyone who goes through the training will end up with serious capabilities, use them wisely. Oh, and if you're in MA and you find yourself in a self defence situation, best not to mention the Krav training.

I'm just very bored with working out at the Y, though I'll miss the creepy old naked guys who hang out in the locker room all day (sarc).

My old school was also a Gracie BJJ affiliate and had a 'faction' who would do adults only self defense training and semi-full (LOL) contact sparring on Fridays for a long lunch. Rules were no hard shots to the face and it's OK to hurt your sparring partner but if you injure your sparring partner, you are permanently 'out' of the group. Shots to the body were full speed but you didn't 'drive through' with the hit or kick. Lots of bruises and sometimes someone will start going unconscious before tapping out. Our former Marine Sgt / active LEO instructor was like that- I had him pinned and in a lock and damn near broke his thumb before he would tap out. Occasionally a rib would get cracked or broken.

Bump looking for the best Krav Maga within 90 min drive from Worcester. Anybody have experience with these specific schools? Any others you can give positive/negative feedback on?

Krav Maga Yashir
Charlestown, MA

Alpha Krav Maga Boston
Malden, MA

Roshankish Krav Maga
Medford, MA

Delta Krav Maga
East Longmeadow, MA

Krav Maga Self Defense Systems
Andover, MA

Western Mass Krav Maga
South Deerfield, MA

Hardline Krav Maga West
Waltham, MA

Check out Deviant Self Defense in... Uxbridge . The lead instructor is a bad ass 110# woman that will F you up! Actually they are very cool. Took classes there for a few months and learned a lot. They were flexible with me and taught me specifically in relation to my job. Had to stop to study for a work promotion. Plan on going back in December.

Type your zipcode into here:

Search Krav Maga Worldwide Self Defense Traning Centers by Region

Avoid "America's Best Defense" in Attleborro Falls. I visited their school and attended a couple of classes. They are complete garbage in my opinion and don't even really teach Krav. It was more of an aerobics class. I've heard that Boston has some legit schools. I trained Krav Maga when I lived in Las Vegas and am going back out there to get certified to instruct so I can open my own school here since I can't find a decent place close to my house. Good luck

Let me start off by saying I don't take Krav classes or have any personal experience in martial arts. I do have a close friend who has taken classes at America's Best Defense (in Northborough MA) for a number of years and they do beat the hell out of each other. I've seen the injuries.

He is finishing up his stripe test for his first degree black belt this weekend. I can't comment how it compares to any other program. If interested here is their website www.abdnorthborough.com .

I attended ABD in Spencer but they are closed now and ABD in Shrewsbury which seems to be closed now too. The classes vary depending on what level you're at so at the lower levels there might be more aerobics involved with some training and as you move up more training. I found them to be good when I was going and would consider them again but also would probably check out some of the others mentioned too.

Let me start off by saying I don't take Krav classes or have any personal experience in martial arts. I do have a close friend who has taken classes at America's Best Defense (in Northborough MA) for a number of years and they do beat the hell out of each other. I've seen the injuries.

He is finishing up his stripe test for his first degree black belt this weekend. I can't comment how it compares to any other program. If interested here is their website www.abdnorthborough.com .
There is no such award system as a black belt or anything like that in krav maga.

There is no such award system as a black belt or anything like that in krav maga.
And no "sport" associated with it either.
Had a guy working for me take up krav maga, at first it looked like he was being beaten on a regular basis. As he got better the beatings were less obvious. I assumed he was at the "don't F with me" stage when the noticeable bruising stopped. Great guy, hard worker, and could deal with stress like it was nothing.

After working in state prisons for a couple of decades and witnessing and breaking up and participating in dozens and dozens of fights my conclusion is nothing beats a good punch in the face. You want to end a fight quickly? Knock the other guy out with one quick punch to the jaw. All the other techniques are useless when you're laying on your back with your eyes rolled back in your head.
If I really, really wanted to fight well I'd train as a western style boxer.

After working in state prisons for a couple of decades and witnessing and breaking up and participating in dozens and dozens of fights my conclusion is nothing beats a good punch in the face. You want to end a fight quickly? Knock the other guy out with one quick punch to the jaw. All the other techniques are useless when you're laying on your back with your eyes rolled back in your head.
While boxing can kill an opponent, it's not as likely and certainly isn't trained that way. Krav maga is all about killing the other guy (not just knocking him out) or in other words "finishing a fight as quickly and aggressively as possible".

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going up against a trained boxer either.

While boxing can kill an opponent, it's not as likely and certainly isn't trained that way. Krav maga is all about killing the other guy (not just knocking him out) or in other words "finishing a fight as quickly and aggressively as possible".

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going up against a trained boxer either.
Why would you want to kill a guy when simply taking him out of the fight will do?

Why would you want to kill a guy when simply taking him out of the fight will do?
Where did I say anything like that?

As for why Krav maga is like that, well it was developed specifically for the IDF and their special operation forces, so ya it was about taking out the other guy.

Where did I say anything like that?

As for why Krav maga is like that, well it was developed specifically for the IDF and their special operation forces, so ya it was about taking out the other guy.
Right here.
"Krav maga is all about killing the other guy (not just knocking him out)"

Right here.
"Krav maga is all about killing the other guy (not just knocking him out)"
English fail.
The subject is Krav maga. What follow is a statement about Krav maga.

In your statement "Why would you want to kill a guy when simply taking him out of the fight will do?"
The subject is me, or more accurately the word "you", and it assigns a belief to the subject.

At no point did I say this.

Muay Thai > boxing

And no "sport" associated with it either.
Had a guy working for me take up krav maga, at first it looked like he was being beaten on a regular basis. As he got better the beatings were less obvious. I assumed he was at the "don't F with me" stage when the noticeable bruising stopped. Great guy, hard worker, and could deal with stress like it was nothing.

this^ is how you can tell he was at an actual krav school and not a CrossFit pretending to be krav school. They are few and far between.

Muay Thai > boxing
And to further opine on this post, ANY martial art is better than nothing. I trained taikwondo when I was a young lad and against an untrained street shit head, it worked really well. In the UFC, probably not so much.

just the fitness level you achieve through training would make you better than most a**h***s on the street. Duck snd dodge for a minute while they gas out throwing haymakers and you own them.

And to further opine on this post, ANY martial art is better than nothing. I trained taikwondo when I was a young lad and against an untrained street shit head, it worked really well. In the UFC, probably not so much.

WTF TKD is pretty useless for fighting, but the ITF flavor is just as much kickboxing as anything else. Any fighting sport where you spend half the time running and doing jumprope is good with me, that conditioning will be more likely to save your life than fighting skills. I've been to a bunch of Krav classes, Krav teaches attitude first, which is why it's so effective. It doesn't usually cover good form, so during force on force 'sparring' I tend to embarrass my teammates, but it's a good lesson for them, that even a couple of years of Krav isn't enough to beat everyone they meet.

I'll just leave this right here...

krav-maga-krav-maga-demotivational-poster-1256514685.jpg

You're welcome.

You wanna be really dangerous? Microtrain the transitions from hard block to dick kick, and dick kick to liver punch. It's like adding insult to injury, but the insult part makes you piss blood.

WTF TKD is pretty useless for fighting, but the ITF flavor is just as much kickboxing as anything else. Any fighting sport where you spend half the time running and doing jumprope is good with me, that conditioning will be more likely to save your life than fighting skills. I've been to a bunch of Krav classes, Krav teaches attitude first, which is why it's so effective. It doesn't usually cover good form, so during force on force 'sparring' I tend to embarrass my teammates, but it's a good lesson for them, that even a couple of years of Krav isn't enough to beat everyone they meet.

Random thoughts on effective martial arts- Anything that builds strength, speed, bone conditioning where you need it, hand-eye coordination / accuracy in strikes (feet, knees, elbows etc. too), stamina, and various striking, blocking, throwing, and ground fighting techniques is a good chunk of what you need. The rest if not most of it is regular sparring where you practice those skills in an environment that if you get hit it hurts but your partners and you are good enough to not break or tear shit; plus ground fighting that will break or tear shit or render you unconscious if you are too stupid to tap out when your 'done'. I don't think Karens would go for watching little Johnny getting choked out or the occasional bleeding face. They like that tournament tag, however.

I do like how the discipline in just about any decent martial arts school wires young brains the right way. Discipline, tenacity, hard work, respect for others, and learning how skill sets build from the basic to the advanced is all good for them. They didn't all turn out great, however. I had a little cocky bastard 2nd degree black belt karate student (not one I would have awarded the belt) learn a very hard lesson that even if you think you're Jean Claude, an average to smallish size 9th grade kid isn't equipped to to go full out with an adult. Didn't have to do much other than let him hurt himself trying to hit me as hard as he could.

Last random funny thought- I learned how to break your typical red bricks and every once in a while would pull that parlor trick out of the bag to mess with my kids. Yes you have to have hands that are conditioned enough to handle the blow but it's more about the technique & timing to split the brick in two. Yes, the bricks are fully intact and not rigged in any way- there's just a 'trick' to do it right. Youtube would easily spoil it now but back then it was a fun way to stage a 'don't mess with Dad' moment LOL.

Random thoughts on effective martial arts- Anything that builds strength, speed, bone conditioning where you need it, hand-eye coordination / accuracy in strikes (feet, knees, elbows etc. too), stamina, and various striking, blocking, throwing, and ground fighting techniques is a good chunk of what you need. The rest if not most of it is regular sparring where you practice those skills in an environment that if you get hit it hurts but your partners and you are good enough to not break or tear shit; plus ground fighting that will break or tear shit or render you unconscious if you are too stupid to tap out when your 'done'. I don't think Karens would go for watching little Johnny getting choked out or the occasional bleeding face. They like that tournament tag, however.

I do like how the discipline in just about any decent martial arts school wires young brains the right way. Discipline, tenacity, hard work, respect for others, and learning how skill sets build from the basic to the advanced is all good for them. They didn't all turn out great, however. I had a little cocky bastard 2nd degree black belt karate student (not one I would have awarded the belt) learn a very hard lesson that even if you think you're Jean Claude, an average to smallish size 9th grade kid isn't equipped to to go full out with an adult. Didn't have to do much other than let him hurt himself trying to hit me as hard as he could.

Last random funny thought- I learned how to break your typical red bricks and every once in a while would pull that parlor trick out of the bag to mess with my kids. Yes you have to have hands that are conditioned enough to handle the blow but it's more about the technique & timing to split the brick in two. Yes, the bricks are fully intact and not rigged in any way- there's just a 'trick' to do it right. Youtube would easily spoil it now but back then it was a fun way to stage a 'don't mess with Dad' moment LOL.

A 9th grade black belt is not a good look.

A 9th grade black belt is not a good look.
Nope- product of strip mall belt factory / kiddie daycare with white uniforms.

I'll say this- my kid and his buddy were both in high schoot when they earned theirs. I think my ribs still hurt from their test- they were both fully capable of causing debilitating damage on a grown-ass man and when they warmed up on pads, bits of foam always flew out of gaps in the seams. 9th grade Bill Gates clone? Not so much.

Nope- product of strip mall belt factory / kiddie daycare with white uniforms.

I'll say this- my kid and his buddy were both in high schoot when they earned theirs. I think my ribs still hurt from their test- they were both fully capable of causing debilitating damage on a grown-ass man and when they warmed up on pads, bits of foam always flew out of gaps in the seams. 9th grade Bill Gates clone? Not so much.

If he were my pupil I'd put him on half GOMAD and obscene amounts of chicken and fish, make him carry water up stairs and do no glove pad work, and not forget a liberal application of attitude correction. No reason a coach can't get a puberty age boy into mean shape, a friend of mine is a hs football coach and he does it every year. Same regimen.

The strip mall martial arts schools, all tuition and no burpees. Sad.

Back
Top Bottom