• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Kydex Shield Holsters

Many of the holsters being pointed out in this thread do not have a barrier that covers the inside of the pistol to prevent the grip from rubbing on your skin. The grip on my .45 Shield has a very rough texture and would cause chaffing of my skin if I wasn't using a holster without a barrier. In addition, in this hot weather, a barrier would also help protect the gun from sweat.

I'm pretty much always wearing an undershirt or a beater. Not an issue for me.

Not practible for me when it's hot, hazy, and humid.
I wear an undershirt every single time I carry a gun on my belt no matter what. It’s a little hot sometimes but it’s a price I’m willing to pay.

Thanks for all the tips too guys!

Many of the holsters being pointed out in this thread do not have a barrier that covers the inside of the pistol to prevent the grip from rubbing on your skin. The grip on my .45 Shield has a very rough texture and would cause chaffing of my skin if I wasn't using a holster without a barrier. In addition, in this hot weather, a barrier would also help protect the gun from sweat.
I'm pretty much always wearing an undershirt or a beater. Not an issue for me.
Not practible for me when it's hot, hazy, and humid.
I wear an undershirt every single time I carry a gun on my belt no matter what. It’s a little hot sometimes but it’s a price I’m willing to pay. Thanks for all the tips too guys!
Holsters and the usual discussions with pro's and con's are always unique as there are so many different combinations and unique individual needs. As always YMMV.

I kind of have the same general concerns of "Glockster30". I am not such a fan of the hybrids as my "Tactical Muffin Top" makes re holstering sometimes an issue (folding over). I like a full Kydex IWB to be used around the 4:00 position.

During summertime concealment, I know some people wear some type of undershirt or garment under their shirts, but I'm just not of a fan of that during the hot humid weather. I don't criticize people who do wear multiple shirts, but for me, I looking for something like the 2AHolster "Soft Side".
IWB-Adjustable-Inside the waistband concealed carry holster.

Video:

In their video showing "Soft Side Identity" for an extra $15 starting around the 0:56 mark addressing the back side of holster that goes towards the body. A 1/16 neoprene backing layer covered with a black or tan velvet providing "comfort and cushioning"

Has anybody used their "Soft Side Identity" option? If so, opinions?

A 1/16 neoprene backing layer covered with a black or tan velvet providing "comfort and cushioning"

Has anybody used their "Soft Side Identity" option? If so, opinions?

I don’t use the neoprene on my IWB holsters as I don’t feel I have a need for it. Maybe @cams has it on his? Don’t think so though. Anyway, if you have any questions or concerns, shoot Tom an email at [email protected] ...he should be able to clear anything up for you.

I actually do have a neoprene backing on one of the chest holster prototypes? Or maybe the original chest holster I ordered from him (that I may or may not have anymore) but as I said, I really don’t have a need for it. It does feel soft and nice but not necessary for me.

During summertime concealment, I know some people wear some type of undershirt or garment under their shirts, but I'm just not of a fan of that during the hot humid weather. I don't criticize people who do wear multiple shirts, but for me, I looking for something like the 2AHolster "Soft Side".
I’ve most often worn traditional white cotton tshirts. I’m thinking of building up a collection of under armor style shirts to be used under a cover garment, like a polo or normal tee.

I’ve most often worn traditional white cotton tshirts. I’m thinking of building up a collection of under armor style shirts to be used under a cover garment, like a polo or normal tee.

I haven't done this myself but maybe a problem that could arise is the gun starts rubbing on the compression shirt and the shirt develops pills? :emoji_thinking:

I was looking into either the cya holster or Vedder lighttuck for my shield I think I'm going to go with the vedder with the claw attachment and see how I like it, I like the cant and height adjustment on the vedder as well

I actually went with a Priority 1 holster. It’s a well formed well made holster, but the clip leaves a bit to be desired. It can be configured as a straight drop or canted at what looks like 15*. It works ok dropped straight, but when canted it won’t catch a belt because one of the raised holes that accommodates a screw blocks the belt.

I think I will replace the clip with soft loops or maybe a raven clip/tac clip to see how that works.

https://www.amazon.com/Priority-Hol...+1+holster&dpPl=1&dpID=41WoeHMlKAL&ref=plSrch

Another CYA user here. Their holsters are very comfortable,well thought out, with good retention, and adjustable from 0-15 degrees. Plus they are made of boltaron which is slightly better than kydex in that it does better with extreme temperatures and is a little stronger.

I wear Under Armour tank tops when I carry, and then a very lightweight button down casual shirt, mostly unbuttoned. I have a couple of shirts that have snaps instead of buttons, that are actually designed to look like buttons. This gives me a quick opening access to my pistol. This seems to offer the best protection and the coolest layering for me. I haven't found any unusual wear or pilling on the tank tops. BTW, I carry my Shield OWB, but the tank top would work either way. I use a Dara kydex holster, which is just incredible quality, and I have a choice of paddle, single or double loop attachment. The other option I've been using is a ComfortTac belly band with just a T shirt over it, which works good too. I usually carry my Ruger LCR in the belly band.

Dara Holsters: The Best Gun Holsters for Concealed Carry

ComfortTac Holsters: Belly Band Holsters

Snap open shirt: Men's Propper Covert Button-Up Shirt @ TacticalGear.com

Last edited:
I had one Concealment Express and have four Vedder Light Tucks. I like Vedder better because they have adjustable cant and adjustable ride height (carry depth). It’s also tuckable which concealment express is not. They also have an optional claw which pushes the grip closer to the body. LightTuck™ Kydex IWB

Another vote for Vedder Light Tuck. I have one for my Shield and my XDS. Highly recommended.

FWIW:

I find myself using the Tagus 4 in 1 holster most of the time over the Kydexholster I have.

I bought it with the intention of cutting off the IBW clip portion and using it has an OBW for hiking and such but I found it to be a comfortable IBW holster at the 3:00 position.

Bob

IMG_1038.jpg

TAGUA PREMIUM BLACK LEATHER 4-WAY OWB IWB HOLSTER - S&W M&P SHIELD 45 | eBay

Back
Top Bottom