• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

L-N-L is Here!

JonJ

NES Member
The used Hornady L-N-L I bought showed up today! It's all unpacked and spread out on the bench. I can't wait to get it all together but that will have to wait until tomorrow or Sat.
It figures that the holes from my single stage don't line up for the L-N-L[thinking]

I'll be posting a single stage in the classifieds soon[wink]

My tumbler came yesterday. I went to Walmart and picked up some corn cob litter. They had some real fine stuff and some was pine scented. But I found some Hartz Mountain stuff that wasn't as fine. It's much larger and unscented. I tumbled my first batch last night. The brass hadn't been deprimed so I only did about 400 pieces. I used Nu-Finish polish too. It came out pretty good after about 2 1/2 hrs.

Jon,

Congrats on the new press, I went with an L-n-L per EC's recommendations and never looked back. A word of advice, dont be in such a hurry to sell your single stage press. It can come in handy for working up loads and doing small batches.

The used Hornady L-N-L I bought showed up today! It's all unpacked and spread out on the bench. I can't wait to get it all together but that will have to wait until tomorrow or Sat.
It figures that the holes from my single stage don't line up for the L-N-L[thinking]

My tumbler came yesterday. I went to Walmart and picked up some corn cob litter. They had some real fine stuff and some was pine scented. But I found some Hartz Mountain stuff that wasn't as fine. It's much larger and unscented. I tumbled my first batch last night. The brass hadn't been deprimed so I only did about 400 pieces. I used Nu-Finish polish too. It came out pretty good after about 2 1/2 hrs.
Very nice.

I tumble my brass primed so that when you decap you don't have media stuck in the primer pockets.

Jon,

Congrats on the new press, I went with an L-n-L per EC's recommendations and never looked back. A word of advice, dont be in such a hurry to sell your single stage press. It can come in handy for working up loads and doing small batches.

Hi Jon.... This is wise advice from Lucas.... Lots of things a Single press is good for once you really get your teeth into reloading.... I use mine (Lee Classic Cast) to do all my decapping and sizing... Works great and makes it one less thing I have to worry about when loading on my Dillon.....[wink]

Hi Jon.... This is wise advice from Lucas.... Lots of things a Single press is good for once you really get your teeth into reloading.... I use mine (Lee Classic Cast) to do all my decapping and sizing... Works great and makes it one less thing I have to worry about when loading on my Dillon.....[wink]

Why? What's the point of processing everything twice when you have a machine designed to do it all at once? I understand it for rifle brass where you have to trim cases, but do you do it for pistol rounds also?

You can get the upgrade for the ram from Hornady for $29. They will rework your shell plates for $10. Worth it in my opinion. Good luck with it Jon.

Why? What's the point of processing everything twice when you have a machine designed to do it all at once? I understand it for rifle brass where you have to trim cases, but do you do it for pistol rounds also?

I do it for everything (pistol and rifle) but I don't process twice in that I only size in the single station.... Station 1 on the dillon only carries a lee universal decapping die to ensure the primer hole is not plugged....

I do it because it keeps all the primer crap out of my progressive, does a much better job of catching spent primers and gives me a much better feel for bullet seating and crimping... Also enables me to tumble my brass after sizing to remove the case lube....

Works for me.... YMMV....[smile]

I don't process twice in that I only size in the single station.... Station 1 on the dillon only carries a lee universal decapping die to ensure the primer hole is not plugged....

I do it because it keeps all the primer crap out of my progressive, does a much better job of catching spent primers and gives me a much better feel for bullet seating and crimping... Also enables me to tumble my brass after sizing to remove the case lube....

Works for me.... YMMV....[smile]

What I meant by process twice was, all your brass goes in to the single stage. Then it all goes through your progressive. I don't see enough benefit to double my reloading time, but I'm just getting started, so there may be issues I'm not seeing.

The LNL has 5 station. If you size in station 1, do powder AND belling at stage 2, powder check at 3, seat at 4 and crimp at 5 you are good to go. Some of the Dillons- 550- don't have 5 stations.

Regardless- I still use my single stage as well. Keep it.

I have currently have 2 SS presses. Both RCBS. One is a Rock Chucker and the other is the 3JR. I'm keeping the RC.

The LnL is the older version with the wire. I'm not too concerned about converting it to the new system.

Is the powder cop really worth it? It does look like a nice addition to the system.

The LnL is the older version with the wire. I'm not too concerned about converting it to the new system.

I'd skip it if you have a big pile of old style shellplates. If you don't, it's a no brainer. The ejector wire is annoying.

I'd skip it if you have a big pile of old style shellplates. If you don't, it's a no brainer. The ejector wire is annoying.

Not a big pile, just 3. .40 SW/10MM, .223 & .45/.308. If the system runs fine with the wire, I'll keep it. It seems that there are a ton of machines with the wire that work just fine and if it ain't broke...

The powder cop is a nice addition if loading pistol. For rifle, I just look into the case occasionally and can see the powder. You can't double charge a rifle case to the best of my knowledge.

As long as the hopper is full of powder and you see/feel the powder rotor moving, you really don't need the cop die. If you want to borrow mine to see if you want one let me know.

I personally would not want to use the LNL without a powder cop of some sort- I only do pistol rounds. The powder thru expanders work fine so you have an extra station.

Wrt the new EZ-Ject subplate- it's real easy to install providing you can get the two allen head screws of without problems- they were REAL tight on mine. I got my press to work pretty good with the wire but wanted the new system- it also allows you to use any die on the last stations- preveously if you didn't use a Hornady die on the 5th station you had to "trim" it. I had some of the newer plates with the groove before I converted and just sent the others back to get modified at $10/each.

I've never used a powder cop, but then again, I don't generally don't like cops. [wink]

Give me a yell if you'd like help setting it up.

Not a big pile, just 3. .40 SW/10MM, .223 & .45/.308. If the system runs fine with the wire, I'll keep it. It seems that there are a ton of machines with the wire that work just fine and if it ain't broke...
Are you using the #45 shellplate for the .45 or the #1? I've heard both work but Hornady recommends the #45 for .45 as the #1 is a loose fit.

While we're on the subject, I have an extra #1 if anyone's interested, old style, LNIB...

How do you get a squib (unless you let the powder hopper run dry)?

One time, somehow the linkage got caught up, not sure how it happened, nor exactly how I missed it. Regardless... when the case got to the powder cop- the plunger didn't budge so I checked the case... empty. I was a little shocked. I've never caught a double charge... that might be worse.

The cop just gives me a little extra piece of mind.

Roughly, how much would you be asking for the Single Stage?

I've never used a powder cop, but then again, I don't generally don't like cops. [wink]

Give me a yell if you'd like help setting it up.
And I thought you liked me. A little anyway[smile]
Thanks for the offer. I'll probably be taking you up on it.
Are you using the #45 shellplate for the .45 or the #1? I've heard both work but Hornady recommends the #45 for .45 as the #1 is a loose fit.
It's the #1 for .45 and .308. Yes, I see they have the #45 now and recommend it but I'll give it a go with what I have for now.

Roughly, how much would you be asking for the Single Stage?
Watch for a PM.
Run a little powder graphite through the powder measure after you set it up.
I bought the system used so it's up for a full cleaning and thanks for that tip.

Between baby duty today I was able to get the press mounted to the bench. I'm still trying to figure out all the parts I have for this. The seller forgot to include the manual and I haven't bothered to print the manual from the Hornady site. It's a pain to run up and downstairs remembering what is what.
I threw the #1 plate on for S&Gs and ran some empty brass through the stages just to see how things work. Progressive presses are a pretty ingenious thing is all I can say. Neat! The empty cases ejected fine. I suppose that may or could change when it's doing it's actual job.

I'm going to be using a set of 4 Lee dies for .45. I'll have to see if I need to grind the crimp die a bit in the 5th stage.

Back
Top Bottom