Land O Lakes in the Land of the Lost...a rant

Medicine Man

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was inspired by the kid reading the cereal box in the Funny Pictures of the Day thread.

I was that kid in my rust colored ToughSkins, sometimes reading the same box for a month or more until the new design came out. After completing the puzzles, I would do more, like finding more words on the word search that weren’t on the list or adding facial features to the characters on the box.

My point is, I was Forced to be creative because my “screen” only got changed once a month. Creative people see things differently.

Take ‘Mia’ the Land O Lakes Butter Maiden. That screen never changed. As you probably know, Land O Lakes is “canceling” Mia. #sayhername

When I was a kid, I had no problem looking at Mia, but somebody else saw something completely different.

You see, if you cut out the kneeling version of Mia, like this...

95DBFB43-1A0E-489C-8049-09E3EDBC0378.jpeg

and you fold her legs over double like this...

0D22F86E-F58F-4909-8E8D-52DE5C658BD5.jpeg

and finally cut both sides and the bottom of the butter box like this...

F8B14302-83E6-45FD-B37A-ADB22A7A3BC8.jpeg

You get this...

E2A3388C-564C-44A7-ABAC-4E7290D72B86.jpeg

I mean, holy shit that’s some serious spatial relations mojo going on there! It crosses cultural divides combining Native American dress, Japanese origami, and good ol American ingenuity. I realize this is the American spin on someone in the DR fashioning a ball glove out of a milk carton, but you build what you need and I had a glove. Forty some odd years later and I’m still impressed.

So of course I took one of these little beauties to my second grade classroom. One look at the smirk on my mug and Mrs. Flynn beelined for my desk. She instinctively laughed but quickly regained composure and smiled. Although she took it away, I could tell by that smile she was impressed too.

If that happened in today’s Land of the Lost, Will, Holly, Uncle Jack and I would have been immediately surrounded by Sleestaks (the original NPCs). I’m talking podiums, news choppers, my parents would be criminally charged and unless Cha-Ka showed up, we would be cancelled, just like Mia. #sayhername

You see, they don’t like Mia because she’s pretty and different and all Sleestaks look the same, have no gender identity, or creative thought. They vomit their diatribe in screeches.

Mia lived in the Land O Lakes and was a butter maiden.
Sleestaks live in the Land of the Lost and were obsequious to their queen.

#sayhername
#notonemore
R.I.P. Mia

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
at least he got the photos right side up, but didn't get the memo on editing size. i see that indian chick now when i close my eyes.

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see Mia go. We're buying Cabot butter now. Political correctness isn't welcome in my house. Boycott list is long these days...

cuz grass-fed.

Were it not for that it would likely be Cabot, cuz when aunt and uncle had their farm (they're retired now and sold it), they were Agri-Mark members.

Mattyweb

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
No more LoL products in our house. Agree, that boycott list is getting long.

One thing that is lost in all this is the image of Mia was created by a Native American artist and he was proud that it represented his people. LoL, by removing the image, think they are being respectful somehow to what they think Native Americans want. I see it as just the opposite; as I read a comment once somewhere: ‘ just like white peoples, keep the land but remove the Indian.’

Medicine Man

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Kids today can Google [email protected] and be all set. No need to fap to a folded cardboard box.
Although a little disturbing, it appears only the green vegetable kinda understood my point. I’m not talking about boycotting products.
I’m talking about zero time available to kids to sit and come up with this shit. Everything is presented on screen and requires no imagination. Attention spans are mere seconds.

There is some pretty good symbolism in there as well, but I guess that’s lost on anyone under 40.

Lastly, I really don’t care what kind of butter you buy.

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although a little disturbing, it appears only the green vegetable kinda understood my point. I’m not talking about boycotting products.
I’m talking about zero time available to kids to sit and come up with this shit. Everything is presented on screen and requires no imagination. Attention spans are mere seconds.
The folding-the-butter-box trick was something I was shown how to do by my elders - there really wasn't any imagination to it.

My youthful capers were things like:

Or (some of):
and
Reckoning which are mine will be left as an exercise for the reader. [grin]

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0

There is some pretty good symbolism in there as well, but I guess that’s lost on anyone under 40.

Lastly, I really don’t care what kind of butter you buy.
I agree and disagree. The parents should push the kids. Internet can be used to do all sorts of creative things, kids can google at home experiments, how to build rockets, how to use a 3D printer, how to code, parents can help with this ... literally thousands of things you could do.

At a young age, I agree you have to let kids use their imagination. I dont know if computers help or not. My parents tought me how to use DOS in the early 90s (born in 86) and then allowed me to play all the strategy games I wanted, their thought process was that strategy games make you think and plan. I grew up alright, but I also didn't grow up in the age of apple warches, iPad, smart phones ... when I grew up I didn't have a cellphone until I was around 15 or so and it wasnt a smart phone. It will be interesting to see what happens in the future.

Last edited:

Medicine Man

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think that's crazy, type in 55378008 in your calculator and invert it. Mind... blown.

Mountain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0

Medicine Man

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree and disagree. The parents should push the kids. Internet can be used to do all sorts of creative things, kids can google at home experiments, how to build rockets, how to use a 3D printer, how to code, parents can help with this ... literally thousands of things you could do.

At a young age, I agree you have to let kids use their imagination. I dont know if computers help or not. My parents tought me how to use DOS in the early 90s (born in 86) and then allowed me to play all the strategy games I wanted, their thought process was that strategy games make you think and plan. I grew up alright, but I also didn't grow up in the age of apple warches, iPad, smart phones ... when I grew up I didn't have a cellphone until I was around 15 or so and it wasnt a smart phone. It will be interesting to see what happens in the future.
Hats off to your Parents. I really believe the downward spiral accelerated in the nineties.

I’ve designed quite a few landscapes since I was eighteen. They are all hand drawn and colored.
I was taught by Charlie, a 90 year old LA when I worked for a large nursery and landscape operation.
I am no expert on auto cad but I have used it and My son activity uses it today.
When my design is laid next to an auto cad design, it’s no competition. Clients have bought and subsequently framed my designs on several occasions.

They have depth. Watch a man go build a chair with a hatchet, his pocket knife, and a froe. (Ref. Foxfire #1)
Then go into IKEA.

RumRunner

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
If you think that's crazy, type in 55378008 in your calculator and invert it. Mind... blown.
In high school we used to do this one.

142 Arabs (type 142 in calculator)
Fought 154 Jews (type 154 in calculator)
Over 69 barrels of oil (type 69 in calculator)
Over a period of 5 years (type x5 in calculator)
Who won? Turn over

14215469 x5 - 71077345

graphite

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The folding-the-butter-box trick was something I was shown how to do by my elders - there really wasn't any imagination to it.
The folding trick reminded me of the old MAD magazine fold over pictures. And of course kids would make up their own after seeing these and the homegrown versions were definitely NSFW.

Mad Fold-in - Wikipedia

Top Bottom