• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Landlord killed with SBR “ghost gun”in Rhode Island

Spartan65

NES Member
Only in Rhode island does something like this happen. This guy MUST be headed to FPMITA prison (but probably not).

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) — A man faces firearm charges in connection to the fatal shooting of a Providence landlord.

Police responded around 2:30 p.m. Monday to reports of shots fired at a home on Prudence Avenue. Jennie Jensen, who owns the property, was found lying in the hallway.

Providence Maj. David Lapatin said Jensen was attempting to evict Rufus Watson. Jensen was renting the apartment to Watson’s cousin who no longer lives there.

Jensen, accompanied by two others, kicked down the apartment door.
Watson was allegedly waiting inside with an AR-15 style rifle. Lapatin said police believe Jensen and her companions were also carrying weapons.

Watson said he fired in self-defense. He is now charged with possession of a firearm after being convicted of a crime of violence, two counts of possession of a large-capacity magazine, possession of a ghost gun, and possession of a barrel of less than 16 inches.

Police said the AR-15 style rifle is the only firearm found on scene. According to Lapatin, no one else was injured in the shooting and the two who accompanied Jensen fled the scene. Watson was the only person to fire a weapon.

“What’s already done is done, but we have to investigate it and get to the absolute truth and the facts of what happened,” Lapatin said.

No murder charges have been filed. Lapatin said the issue is likely to be brought before a grand jury where more charges could be applied.

Lapatin said Watson has a criminal record. He is being held on $100,000 bail.

ETA:

Lotta missing info here. Legit landlords don't go trying to physically remove a tenant. This could be a justified shooting and it sounds like the police are thinking the same
Watson was allegedly waiting inside with an AR-15 style rifle. Lapatin said police believe Jensen and her companions were also carrying weapons.

Yeah that is an interesting eviction, "kicking down" the door with two enforcers
Sounds like a good way to get shot and end up dead................................

Lotta missing info here. Legit landlords don't go trying to physically remove a tenant. This could be a justified shooting and it sounds like the police are thinking the same

Depends. I'd personally have a constable serve a quit notice, then let court and the cops take it from there. I feel like I don't want the hands-on liability over the matter, and potentially have something to lose other than my life if things go south. But if you're just renting the in-law unit in a 2 family, and that's your entire portfolio, I could see wanting to do this hands-on to avoid time and money spent on other methods. That person is also a legit landlord.

The tenant himself wasn't legit, the place wasn't rented to him, it was rented to his cousin, who no longer resides there.
And it's highly likely that nobody was paying the rent either.

The tenant himself wasn't legit, the place wasn't rented to him, it was rented to his cousin, who no longer resides there.
And it's highly likely that nobody was paying the rent either.
Lot of missing info. He could be subletting.

Either way, when evicting it's always best to go by the book. Protects the landlord from lawsuits and from the dangers of physically trying to remove a tenant.

If the landlord was armed and with two armed friends, they are asking to get lit up.

The link in the OP says the LL was a SC resident. SHe may have been frustrated with the state of tenants rights vs landlord rights in the Northeast and decided to take matters into her own hands?

Only in Rhode island does something like this happen. This guy MUST be headed to FPMITA prison (but probably not).

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) — A man faces firearm charges in connection to the fatal shooting of a Providence landlord.

Police responded around 2:30 p.m. Monday to reports of shots fired at a home on Prudence Avenue. Jennie Jensen, who owns the property, was found lying in the hallway.

Providence Maj. David Lapatin said Jensen was attempting to evict Rufus Watson. Jensen was renting the apartment to Watson’s cousin who no longer lives there.

Watson said he fired in self-defense. He is now charged with possession of a firearm after being convicted of a crime of violence, two counts of possession of a large-capacity magazine, possession of a ghost gun, and possession of a barrel of less than 16 inches.

Police said the AR-15 style rifle is the only firearm found on scene. According to Lapatin, no one else was injured in the shooting and the two who accompanied Jensen fled the scene. Watson was the only person to fire a weapon.

“What’s already done is done, but we have to investigate it and get to the absolute truth and the facts of what happened,” Lapatin said.

No murder charges have been filed. Lapatin said the issue is likely to be brought before a grand jury where more charges could be applied.

Lapatin said Watson has a criminal record. He is being held on $100,000 bail.

ETA:
Woman kicks down door.
Tenant has an SBR.

You weren't wrong about Rhode Island yesterday.

I can hear it now. I had those parts laying around. I heard the door being kicked down and assembled the parts I had to defend myself. I just so happened to find a 30 round mag. Since it is not my house and I am only renting a room. It wasn't mine.

I think all parties are going to be sitting in jail for a bit.

Or the police have been called multiple times and refused to remove the "tenant." This wouldn't be a surprise for Providence PD, I won't go too much into details but someone acquainted with the family had a car of his stolen (cheap POS, nothing fancy), he got word it was seen in Providence at a certain location, he calls Providence PD to report it stolen and gives them the location, and Providence PD proceeded to tell him since he knew where it was to go and get it.

I can easily see this landlord having contacted Providence PD to have them remove the tenet and them telling her to remove him herself. They are that shit of a department.

Providence police: Landlord was attempting to evict man when she was killed

PROVIDENCE — A woman was fatally shot Monday as she attempted to evict a man from an apartment house in Silver Lake.

Jennie Jensen was accompanied by her brother and another person when they first knocked and then kicked in the door of the third-floor apartment, said Providence Police Major David Lapatin. They were carrying firearms, Lapatin said, but so was the man who Jensen wanted to evict: Rufus Watson, 26.

Watson had been staying in the apartment, which was rented by his cousin, Lapatin said. The cousin was out, but Watson was in and had a “ghost gun” AR-15 with two large-capacity magazines, Lapatin said.
Watson fired a shot, killing Jensen, but he described the encounter as self-defense, Lapatin said.
Watson, who had a criminal record in South Carolina, was charged with carrying a gun without a license, possession of a firearm after being convicted of a crime of violence, two counts of having a large-capacity magazine, and having a ghost gun. He is being held at the Adult Correctional Institutions on $100,000 bail.
The homicide investigation will go before a grand jury, Lapatin said.

I hate that this case (probably the first charge based on the recent ban on full cap mags in RI) could end up being a test case for that law. Good news is that the magazines are the least of the charges, so the DA may not even pursue them. Since when is "possession of a barrel of less than 16 inches" a crime? I can see an SBR charge, so maybe the news is just having accuracy challenges today ...

NES seems to be injecting a lot of emotion and knee jerk reactions into their thoughts on the news lately [rofl]

the eviction process can be a nightmare at times for a LL and the courts and law enforcement typically drag their feet on doing their job. If you don't get into the role expecting those headaches you're in for a rude awakening. This article doesn't say much about the rental situation except that the tenant was at best subletting the apartment or possibly squatting, hell they could have had a meth lab going on in there for all we know. The point is in this situation you don't let emotion get the better of you because the court will not be on your side once you become the aggressor.

If you show up at your rental property with 2 buddies(allegedly armed according to police) with the intent to throw out a tenant or even a squatter, kick the door down, and enter the property you're the aggressor and you're taking your life into your own hands.

to me this sounds like a situation of stupid landlord puffed out his/her chest and got FAFO'd, 2 buddies scattered to protect themselves and possibly hide weapons for the same reason, and a shitty tenant will be off to the can on felony firearms charges and possibly manslaughter depending on what type of jury they get.

I hate that this case (probably the first charge based on the recent ban on full cap mags in RI) could end up being a test case for that law. Good news is that the magazines are the least of the charges, so the DA may not even pursue them. Since when is "possession of a barrel of less than 16 inches" a crime? I can see an SBR charge, so maybe the news is just having accuracy challenges today ...
The shooter was a criminal and prohibited person, regardless of what he possessed. He was prohibited and despite that, still obtained possession of an SBR and magazines illegally. Gun control laws only work to disarm the law-abiding.

RI felon with a ghost gun? Moops????
inconceivable.jpg

Back
Top Bottom