• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Large Cage Traps - continued

The cost of these things is prohibitive when freight is factored in. Are there any suppliers within a few hours drive from Springfield, Ma, who stock dog size traps? I know, long shot. I contacted WCS, and they don't have them stocked.

I suppose I could build my own, but time is my enemy. Maybe I'll just go for that craptastic stuff that Tractor Supply sells, and keep a bunch of repair wire handy.

Looked at the Camtrip traps but the dimensions seemed a bit too small for the targeted species, though they do look perfect for bobcat. I ordered a trap from Tomahawk, size bigazz. I opted for a collapsible version, which saved $140 on shipping. Hopefully it isn't too rattly, but that can be dealt with.

That's a wrap for 2019. Non-target species, released. About 20 trapping days, 2 raccoons. No false trips. I've got to work on my lure selection though. The cellular trail cam worked well.

Last edited:
Mass sucks for trapping. However when I’ve hunted for coyotes there the best method was a combination of baiting and calling them in.

Got some Caven's Yodle Dog lure arriving soon. Trap deployment pending. I was tempted to use other lures/bait but am concerned what might happen if Ursus americanus gets too interested. Hopefully this lure entices only the targeted species. I'm going to go with a cubby set, brush in the sides a bit and leave the top uncovered.

That deer was apparently unable to fit inside the cage trap.

Net takes for the 2020 season, from the one set; (1) red fox, (1) fisher.

No coyotes caught on cam. I'm going to use the leftover coyote lure & bait for post-deer season.

Second catch of the 2022 season. Self-released. I managed to reassemble the door that was bent to shit and ripped off.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom