• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Large caliber bolt action

Who has one and do you regret buying it? Ive been toying with the idea of getting one and i think im finally going to pull the trigger and do it. I do have a spot of land where the owner will let me shot and across the bogs to a hill there's about 1100 yards. Not sure if there are any ranges around here or in MA for that matter that go further then that.

To me, "large caliber bolt action" means 50 BMG. [smile] It's on my ASAP list of things to get. I'll probably end up with one of the uppers that mates to an AR15 lower for that.

50 BMG, where 1100 yards is considered 'moderate' range shooting... [rofl2]

Large bore means different things to different people. I think large bore starts at .375 and there's many that would argue otherwise saying it starts at .4. Depends on what else you would use it for. To me, for 1000 yd plinking, I'd go with a tricked out 308, it has the benefit of being cheap to reload and available, to where I could afford to practice more, and save that money for better glass. Plus, it could serve as a viable hunting platform. If you want to step it up some, maybe a 300 WinMag, or even a .338 WinMag. Wrench75's question is key also. Factory ammo is stupid expensive for premium 308 and even doubly so for 300 and 338.

Quite possibly I'll be ordering an accuracy international ax338. I would get everything to reload as I know how expensive 338 lapua is.

I have a Weatherby 300 Mag in the Lightweight platform - can't shoot much more than 20 per day - but I broke both shoulders on a Caribou @ 167 Yards. 20 Rounds = $80

Remington .338 ultra mag. I have a love hate relationship. It is supper accurate on long shots, easily takes down a bull elk. But has feeding problems sometimes. Oh, and I left my shoulder somewhere last time I zeroed it in.

If you have even an inkling of a budget, consider a .340 Weatherby or .338 RUM. Both can be had for shortish money and will duplicate .338 Lapua ballistics.
I had a .338 Win and a .458 Win. Both were fun to play with. Both got traded off. The .458 cracked the stock when I fired one shot prone. I do not recommend firing a .458 prone. For years after, my right shoulder looked shorter than the left.

played with 30-06, 270, 308. Now looking for a 300WinMag. I Have heard that some of the bigger stuff can have sorter barrel life, if you do a lot of shooting

played with 30-06, 270, 308. Now looking for a 300WinMag. I Have heard that some of the bigger stuff can have sorter barrel life, if you do a lot of shooting

Sure, ramming a copper block down your barrel at 3000+ fps with 70 or 80 grains of hot burning powder trapped behind it will do that to a barrel.

Even with a shorter life than say a .3006, I bet the barrel outlasts the average shooter's shoulder [smile]

Sure, ramming a copper block down your barrel at 3000+ fps with 70 or 80 grains of hot burning powder trapped behind it will do that to a barrel.

Even with a shorter life than say a .3006, I bet the barrel outlasts the average shooter's shoulder [smile]

The really necked down cartridges tend to be the barrel burners. Putting a lot of powder through a thin neck (and therefore less surface area of the barrel) causes rapid erosion.

Something like a 7mm RUM will not go 1000rds accurately.

Back
Top Bottom